Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
TSP in laundry

Posted by pearsaml (My Page) on
Wed, May 18, 11 at 22:45

anybody add TSP to their laundry when washing? I don't want to do it regularly, but I've heard it improves the wash. every so often there's something i would like to get a little cleaner.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: TSP in laundry

TSP (TriSodium Phosphate) is not the correct additive. It produces a precipitate, which is not a good thing for laundry and washing machines. TSP is typically used as an outdoor cleaner, such as for driveways/parking lots or prepping walls for painting, where a precipitate isn't objectionable.

The correct additive for laundry (or dishwashing) is STPP (Sodium TriPoly Phosphate), which does not produce a precipitate.

Slight difference in name, large difference in chemical properties.

o

I wouldn't want to use TSP on my laundry. It is great on the walls and ceilings, really cuts into the grease and grime. But for my delicate clothes no, I don't think so.

o

STPP is preferred over TSP, but only if you have hard water. There is little to no advantage using TSP/STPP if you already have soft water.

o

Be aware that STPP will decompose into TSP if you're not careful.

Several people here have used TSP but most recommend STPP instead.

What is your objective? Something as simple as Borax might serve your need or even a little better detergent.

Here is a link that might be useful: STPP FAQ

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here