Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
triedandtrue_gw

question about Speed Queen tl washer tub leaning

triedandtrue
9 years ago

To any speed queen washer tl owners. Does your tub lean when the washer is washing? I read some responses over at AW.org. that the tub leaning forward is motor torque.

My washer leans back and off to the right when washing but straightens out after spin. Could it possibly be the springs need adjusting?

From what I have read Speed Queen says that is normal operation and nothing to worry about. I have not personally contacted SQ, but it is a curiosity.

Never had an out of balanced load that made the machine vibrate severely or walk. Rock steady for the last 14 months.
Overall good engineering on these machines.

Comments (13)

• gwarstong
    9 years ago

The tub has a normal range of motion that is restricted -- but not controlled -- by those springs you mentioned. It is normal for the tub to take on various less-than-plumb positions when stationary or in operation.

The old Maytags were the same...except the SQ is much better about handling out-of-balance conditions. Your 14 months of no catastrophic out-of-balance issues speaks volumes.

Everything's fine. No worries.

• triedandtrue
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the reply. This machine is so quiet in spin it doesn't sound like it is spinning at 710 rpm most of the time.

I really do believe this is probably the best washer I have ever owned overall so far. The bravos was a joke compared to this washer and the 2 DD whirlpool/kenmore washers our family had were good, but the speed queen is superior to all of them.

Never had a washer that had such a good suspension system in it. An early70's Westinghouse top loader we had came very close to this though. I don't remember that machine ever going off kilter in spin either.

anyway.sorry for the rant. Just blessed that we still have one manufacturer who makes true old school workhorses.

Keep up the good work Speed Queen !

• sparky823
    9 years ago

I remember Westinghouse having a commercial where they placed a basketball in the tub of the washer and ran it on spin to show how balanced the machine was. No vibrating or knocking. Of course, this was years ago!

• mrb627
    9 years ago

I remember a similar commercial involving a phone book (I think) and a TL Amana machine. The Amana in that commercial was a similar design to the Alliance built SQ we have today.

MRB

• triedandtrue
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Does anybody know hell well these machines hold up against rusting? My machines are in a basement and I notice that the area around the bleach dispenser looks like it is yellowing.

I really don't use the dispenser much; but if this is an early sign;this is not good. I thought these machines had a special 3 coat protection ? Nothing beats a true porcelain coated top, providing it is applied correctly.

If they wanted to.make these machines like the laundromat machines, it would be nice to have porcelain enamel tops.

• triedandtrue
    Original Author
    9 years ago

*how well*

• sparky823
    9 years ago

Do you leave the lid open so it will dry out? When I had a top load I never closed the lid, but thats just me. Never had any rust either.

• triedandtrue
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Never had issues with rust and usually left the lids on all my machines open. Lately have been keeping the lid closed on this washer, but will just leave it up I guess.

• triedandtrue
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I noticed the lids on these SQ washers are like old Maytags in that both lids close pretty tight. Little air circulation.

• mrb627
    9 years ago

Hmmm...

What is the warranty on the tub against rust? Isn't it lifetime?

MRB

• gwarstong
    9 years ago

SQ topload washer Limited Warranty...paraphrased from their sheet:

3 years parts/labor limited warranty on the complete washer.

5 yr. on cabinet rust from inside out.

5 year on motor. yr 4 and 5 parts only

10 yr on tranny. yr 4 thru 10 parts only

Lifetime on SS tub and outer tub rust and corrosion.

• sparky823
    9 years ago

Latest models now have a 15 year transmission warranty if I am not mistaken?.

• gwarstong
    9 years ago

I was reading from the sheet that came with my machine in September, '13. Maybe different, now?