Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ironing latex

Posted by brownthumbia (My Page) on
Mon, May 9, 11 at 21:11

I don't know if this is the right place but I guess it would be laundry...I'm sorry if am wrong but I really need some advice. I just bought 2 pair of capri pants, both have latex in them. Now, I do like the way they fit and the latex sure makes them even more comfortable. But, the question I have is, how do you iron them without harming the latex? Some material needs a pretty hot iron but I don't think that does the latex any good. Wouldn't it melt the latex if the iron is so hot? Any ideas are certainly appreciated. I don't like wrinkled dress clothes but there is more and more latex being used and I don't know what to do with it. thanks in advance for any help you can give me. BT

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ironing latex

Do they have latex or spandex? Latex is not usually used to make clothes stretchy - that is usually spandex (Lycra is a brand name). If it is Lycra then you should always wash on warmish temps and dry on Cool - never hot. You can iron them carefully with a cool iron, but you often don't need to iron them much. Heat is the enemy of spandex. If they get too hot they will lose their stretch and become limp and baggy - never a good look.

o
RE: ironing latex

oh, Oregpsnow, of course it's spandex. Duh, where I came up with latex I'll never know. thanks for your reply, I just do not like the way the clothes looks when the wrinkles are still somewhat there. I know the clerk told me not to use hot on something I bought earlier because a hot iron will melt the spandex---exactly what you said. Guess I'm gonna have to read the labels closely. Thanks for your help. I appreciate it so much.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here