Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Whistle while you work...

Posted by richard_f (My Page) on
Sun, May 19, 13 at 20:47

My month old Milele W3033 has developed an odd habit. It will, intermittently, make a loud whistling noise while filling with water. It doesn't go on for the entire fill and it doesn't happen on every use. It almost sounds like there is some air caught in a valve. It went away completely for a few days, then started back up yesterday.

I called Miele and they are sending one of their own technicians to look at on the the 30th. Since it's intermittent, I kept my phone handy until I could shoot a brief video that would capture the sound, which I've posted to youtube. I'll reply to this an post the link. Turn up the speakers on your computer. If you use headphones you can hear the water filling under the whistling noise.

Any thoughts or conjectures welcome. Alex?

Thanks in advance.

Richard

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Whistle while you work...

Here's the link to the video:

Here is a link that might be useful: W3033 whistling while filling

o

Any news richard? Resolved?

o

The Miele tech was out to look at it today, and it made the noise while he was there. He hooked the unit up to a diagnostic computer, read the codes and ran a full suite of tests. The noise is coming from the water pipes (probably the cold), not the machine. No fault codes stored, all three fill valves are functioning perfectly. He said that it sounded to him like it was really coming from the pipe running through the bathroom adjacent to the laundry room. I'll give it a listen when I get home tonight and do a load. So the good news is that I may have a minor plumbing issue, not an appliance malfunction.

Sorry about the false alarm.

o

Here's the final resolution. I called my plumber to come out and do some other work for me and told him about the whistling noise. He said that some air had gotten into the pipes, which could be difficult to fix, but told me to try doing the following steps:

- shut off the water at the main incoming water valve in the basement,

- flush the toilets and open the faucet taps, leaving everything open for 15 to 20 minutes

- turn the water back on and let everything run for a few minutes.

That did it - no more noise in the pipes.

By the way, the new M3033 is still running great and we still love it, even if we only use a small fraction of the available cycles. My only nit to pick is that I have to go into the Mastercare menu to get a 31 minute express wash cycle, while "Silks" has it's own button on the front of the unit.

Richard

o

Clearly, you need more silk clothing :)

But seriously, this is great information, about the solution to your whistling pipe.

My set is a month out because of my slow remodel project.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here