Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Type of washing machine for basement/ejector pump installation?

Posted by Chatsworth (My Page) on
Wed, May 15, 13 at 20:36

We want to put a second spare washing machine in the basement of the house we are buying. The house already has a full bath down there with a tub/shower combination, sink and toilet and so it has an ejector pump already installed (main drain is at basement-ceiling height). We would be using the spare machine to occasionally prewash items that are either especially dirty or have allergens on them, so as to remove most of the nasty stuff before putting the items through our upstairs everyday washer.

I have no preference for either top loader or front loader in this particular situation but am wondering if one or the other happens to work better in an ejector pump installation? Hopefully some of the plumbers on this forum will weigh in with their thoughts on it.

An appliance salesman told us recently that the front loaders spin at a higher RPM than top loaders do. I have no idea whether that is true, or whether it is better or worse for an ejector pump to be receiving the water at a faster or slower rate. Logic seems to dictate that it would be better able to handle water coming out of it at a slower rather than a faster rate, which has made me wonder which type of washer is best for this situation. We have never had appliances in a basement before and so this is all new to us, LOL

Many thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Type of washing machine for basement/ejector pump installatio

A front loader will use way less water than a top loader, which will lessen the burden on your pump. Before it goes into the spin cycle it should drain and pump out the standing water in the drum. Mine spends about 2 minutes doing this, so I don't think the water would be coming out faster than your pump could handle it. When mine (a Miele) goes into spin, it spins for about 7 minutes, so there again, it's hard to see the outflow causing a problem for a correctly sized and functioning pump.

I'm interested in what other might have to say, but I can't see a problem using a front loader in your situation.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here