Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Amana dryer won't start but get's hot...

Posted by gagefamily (My Page) on
Fri, May 30, 14 at 20:34

I put some laundry into my drier and set a timer for 15 minutes. I just wanted to get some wrinkles out of my clothes and let them finish drying on hangers. When my daughter went to remove the clothes they had already stopped. The dryer would no longer start and the outside of it was VERY hot to the touch. We turned off the breaker until my husband got home. When he turned on the breaker the machine would not start but it started heating up again. I've had the machine for about 6 years. It is an Amana Model: NED5240TQ0. Does anyone here have any clue what might be wrong with it? If I have some idea I will be able to do research to decide if it's worth having it repaired (trying to fix it ourselves) or if I should buy a new machine.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Amana dryer won't start but get's hot...

The heating element should not get power unless the motor is running. If it does, that typically means the element is broken and touching the frame (shorted to ground). Repair is replacement of the element.

Best not to order parts until the problem is fully diagnosed. There's a thermal fuse on the heater box that may also be blown (if the element is hot with no airflow over it). The fuse being blown won't stop the element from heating if it's shorted but the new element won't heat if the fuse is blown.

Element is part number 279838 ($45-ish depending on the source).
Thermal fuse kit 279816 which includes the high-limit thermostat on the heater box, they should be replaced together ($30-ish).

o
RE: Amana dryer won't start but get's hot...

Thank you dadoes,

I've passed this information on to my husband. I know it will be really helpful!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here