Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phillipeh

Ice Maker

phillipeh
13 years ago

Has anyone put an ice-maker in their laundry room? We left a spot for a refrigerator, but, unfortunately, it won't fit. We are having cabinets built to fit the space and a laundry sink and built-in ice maker are going in the spot. We only had 39" to work with, but the cabinet guy assures us that everything will work out correctly. Just wondering if anyone else has done this and whether a built-in ice maker is worth the investment....

Comments (17)

• asolo
    13 years ago

"built-in" ice-maker? Like dedicated, water-supply, filtration, drain, whole nine-yards? And built-in? Really?

Would need to know more. Otherwise, my first question would be something like: "Are you nuts?"

• dadoes
    13 years ago

I don't think the OP is meaning a commercial machine. There are dedicated, stand-alone ice makers targeted for home use ... they still need a water supply and drain, but that may not be difficult in a laundry room.

• lee676
    13 years ago

Is a built-in (undercounter) ice machine worth the investment? Absolutely, if you enjoy cold drinks, and especially if you entertain guests frequently or have a large household. Higher-quality ice machines produce perfectly clear, perfectly clean ice chips like you'd get in a fine restaurant or bar, worlds more appealing than the smelly, cloudy-white crescents that grow in your refrigerator's icemaker. My favorites are the Manitowoc SM50 for its build quality, filtration, and neat octagonal ice cubes, or the Scotsman Brilliance or their somewhat less expensive DCE33 series, both which are residential-only products and also make crystal-clear, nicely shaped ice; all of these have an illuminated interior (rare in ice machines) and a convenient high-mounted ice-storage area, and are 15" wide. These devices need a drain; if you don't have access to one that's below the level of the machine, you'll need to specify the optional water pump.

But I can't fathom why I'd want an ice machine in the laundry room. Why not put it in the kitchen, or a wet bar if you have one?

(unless your laundry room is just off one of these areas)

• cryptandrus
    13 years ago

Why do refrigerator icemaker cubes smell and taste so bad anyway?

I make ice cubes the old-fashioned way and never have that problem.

(I wonder if OP may want to put the icemaker in laundry room because of the potential noise and heat an icemaker may create)

• phillipeh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Built-in as in water supply, drain, all that. We are putting it in the laundry room because we have space for it there. It just so happens the laundry room is just steps away from both the kitchen and bar (which is not "wet," though it does have a beverage cooler).

Not sure about filtration....may need to consider that. Our refrigerator (located as is tradition in the kitchen) has a filter for ice and water, but it just doesn't make enough ice for Christmas, New Year's, Easter, Memorial Day, The Fourth, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, and various birthdays when the entire family is over at our house -- 18 to 30 people, depending.

• asolo
    13 years ago

Whoa....instant understanding.

Clear, good-tasting, well-shaped cubes are pretty nice. Be aware that all of these machines produce "wet" ice. I know a few folks who transfer the clear, well-shaped -- but wet -- cubes to their regular freezer after they've accumulated. Their primary motivation was the clear non-crescent-shaped cubes for their guests plus greater supply than ref. ice-makers were capable of. Must admit it makes easier-to-drink, classier beverage service.

• lee676
    13 years ago

> I wonder if OP may want to put the icemaker in laundry room because of the potential noise and heat an icemaker may create

Evidently not (given his/her more recent post), but worth noting that the Manitowoc I mentioned earlier has a button that will temporarily cease ice-making for 2 to 6 hours if you need perfect quietness. (Also, I think I erred in that the DCE33 doesn't have an interior light, if it matters).

I've transferred clear ice to a refrigerator/freezer dispenser before - although the cubes won't be wet anymore, they still look/taste better than the ones the fridge makes. Also, some dispensers can crush the ice as it dispenses, an option not available from standalone ice machines (excepting commercial units).

• phillipeh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The icemaker has arrived. It is supposed to go in tomorrow with the new cabinets (fingers crossed). It doesn't have a light. It's supposed to produce 44lbs/day of ice, but it can only store 25lbs. The manufacturer describes the ice as clear, hard, cubed ice. Best of all, we got it on sale with free shipping.

Haven't decided yet on a filter, but an in-line filter should be pretty easy to install after the fact.

• asolo
    13 years ago

Would be interested in learning what you got and, over time, how it's working for you.

• jeri
    13 years ago

some dispensers can crush the ice as it dispenses, an option not available from standalone ice machines

Or expensive built-ins! It floors me that a $5000 built-in can not crush ice when a $1200 stand-alone can. DHÂs only request is crushed ice through the door. :-\

/pet peeve off

• phillipeh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

We got "Koldfront" ice maker from CompactAppliance.com. So far, so good. It went in today; the cabinet guys have to come back next week to install the granite and the sink that's going next to the maker. They also decided, after all, we'll need a condensate pump because of the drain (too high, but unavoidable because we were limited with what was already in place for the drain for the washer). Looks good with it's SS door. Since I'd never heard of the brand, I bought the 2 year extended warranty!

• czechchick2
    13 years ago

I can understand why would someone (for whatever reason)want bigger ice maker but in the laundry room? Doesn't make sense.
    Why not go and buy one of the better fridges that makes and crushes the ice, dispense water etc?
    Unless,of course you really need 40 lb of ice a day but still, in the laundry room!?!?!?

• asolo
    13 years ago

Asked and answered several posts ago.

• phillipeh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Finally got it all done. The granite guys came last night to install the rock. They were there for four hours, but the granite looks REALLY nice -- probably better than the granite slabs in the kitchen. They took their time and did a really good job.

The icemaker is making ice like crazy. This thing easily makes the 25lbs it can store, and I don't think it would have a problem reaching the 44lbs/day it was advertised to make.

Everything is just in time because we are having a birthday party for our son next weekend (he's 1!).

• asolo
    13 years ago

Glad you're fixed up the way you wanted it. Question about the machine.....

Can you say how long it takes from start-up to produce, say, the first five lbs of ice? And/or how long it took to produce the full-hold of 25lbs?

Reason for question is that I have one location that only has people in it once a week or so. Rather than leave the machine on all the time, I would more likely only turn it on only when people are there......if we didn't have to wait too long for usable quantity of ice to be available. ( Refrig. ice-maker isn't much good that way.)

• rgillman
    13 years ago

Philipeh, any follow-up on your ice maker? I need to replace my diaster of a Kitchen-Aid and was wondering how the Koldfront is working out?