Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laceylynn3_gw

which front load washer and dryer do you like or not like

laceylynn3
10 years ago

I am getting ready to buy a new front load washer and dryer. I searched but many posts were a few years old and I know things change often. What one do you like.....or don't like? It seems like a crap shoot because I can find pros and cons when I google on every machine. I want to buy it in the next week.
Thanks for any feedback.

Comments (7)

• fynite
    10 years ago

Well, we just got a miela (as in the first load went in this afternoon.) A bit early to really review it. What we do like is that it fits in our laundry room, which few washers do.

One thing you need to know is which way the washer door opens. If your washer is on the right, you want a washer door that opens to the right, if you have the washer on the left, you want a door that opens to the left. You would think that the washer doors were reversible, or that each brand would make models with doors each way. And you would sadly be wrong. As far as I can tell, LGs open to the left, Mielas open to the right, and so on. That will somewhat limit what brands you can pick from unless you are willing to replumb your laundry room, or have enough room to cross plumb your appliances.

• laceylynn3
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, I did assume you could reverse the door. Thanks for that tip.

• herring_maven
    10 years ago

We purchased a Samsung '419 two years ago, and have been happy with it so far. The tipping point in our choice of the Samsung was the "diamond" drum (a patent-avoiding copy of the Miele "honeycomb" drum) that minimizes the pull-through of fabric tufts of clothing in the drainage holes during the high-speed spin operation. Only Miele and Samsung have a like feature.

From the get-go, we have had an inexpensive surge-spike protector (ours is a Tripp-Lite Spike Cube) on the outlet where the Samsung plugs into the mains circuit. The few complaints you may read about Samsungs tend to relate to circuit board failures -- which could reflect a power supply not robust enough to deal with "dirty" electrical power; surge/spike protection is cheap insurance against damage to the circuit board.

• laceylynn3
    Original Author
    10 years ago

herring_maven, thanks for the feedback. What about the problem of being able to get parts in a timely manner if a part needs to be ordered? I have heard one problem with Samsung and LG is it could take weeks. ??

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    10 years ago

My LG is about 4 yrs old. No problems. BUT must refer to owners manual if an error code appears. Ours was a drain that easily is cleaned but not needed that often. Right on the front of the washer....who knew? until we re-read the manual. Has happened twice.
    Get used to using all the functions for different loads. They do work. Rather than get into a push and go routine and wonder why things are not as clean as they could be. I like the steam-dry function for nice shirts. Never have to go to a dry cleaner again! Most are fine right out of the dryer and a few need a quick iron only. (linen)
    The super wash and allergen settings are great for sheets.

• herring_maven
    10 years ago

laceylynn3: "What about the problem of being able to get parts in a timely manner if a part needs to be ordered? I have heard one problem with Samsung and LG is it could take weeks."

So far, our Samsung has not needed any service. (Knock on wood.) So I cannot give you any experiential counsel. The worst experience in obtaining parts that we have had with any appliance in our more than four decades of married home-making was with a Jenn-Air brand appliance that was made in Iowa. Further deponent sayeth not.

• georgect
    10 years ago

Electrolux for all the bells & whistles & capacity.

Fridgaidre for economy.