Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pegandken

Best/favorite detergent for Speed Queen TL washer

pegandken
9 years ago

Just curious what detergent you guys use for your TL SQ washer?

Comments (25)

• triedandtrue
    9 years ago

Currently using A&H clean burst powder.Really like the clean scent it leaves.

• triedandtrue
    9 years ago

Also like to use Clorox 2 and Zout. I find Zout is an excellent pre treater.

• triedandtrue
    9 years ago

Should have said Zout is an excellent stain remover. Has worked very well on grease splatters from cooking and tomato sauce stains.

• pegandken
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the reply's!! Is a powder detergent a better choice to use rather then using a liquid detergent? Or wouldn't it really make a difference with this washer? Thanks.

• triedandtrue
    9 years ago

I believe powders overall are still better than liquids, but there are high ranking liquids also.It really comes down to your preference.
    These SQ washers will work fine with either. At least we don't have the bother of buying "washer cleaner" as these machines basically clean themselves with every use

Just like all classic top loaders I have ever used.

• beaglenc
    9 years ago

I have tried just about every detergent on the store shelves. Liquids, even the HE ones and using less than recommended, wouldn't rinse out. So I settled on Cheer powder. I also use Borax and Clorox 2 in some loads. I heard that Wisk pods are low sudsing, so I might give them a try.

• triedandtrue
    9 years ago

I would like to give cheer powder a shot, but don't know what stores carry it. I'm in central jersey.

beagle nc, have you tried sears heavy duty detergent ? I was using that when I first got the SQ a year ago and it is very low sudsing.

I was using the regular sears detergent in the orange box when I had my featherweight Maytag bravos. Had a lot leftover when I got the SQ installed and really liked it.
    Rinses out well too.

• beaglenc
    9 years ago

Triedandtrue, lots of people have had really hard times trying to find Cheer powder. I found mine at local walmarts and target. you can order it online from walmart and should have free shipping to the store. Yes I tried Sear Ultra Plus, there is way too many zeolites, rinse water had a film on top and clothes were stiff and scratchy, not soft even with FS. Although, there were no or very little suds in the wash and rinse.

• triedandtrue
    9 years ago

At least I thought the Sears detergent rinsed well. Probably got that in mind because of the low to no sudsing of that detergent.

Since my clothes don't get all that dirty, I think I will switch to more economical detergents. I really have no need for the additives; old habits I guess.

Just want something that will rinse well without the use of the 2nd rinse option so often.

• Pat z6 MI
    9 years ago

Check carefully for Cheer powder at Target because it is usually stuck on the bottom shelf and in only one row. They're stocking it again but must not want us to find it easily because Tide costs more. I may hoard up on it in case they take it away again. Love it for cleaning (one enzyme) and zero optical brighteners. Just haven't figured out yet if that enzyme is going to drive me nuts when I perspire this summer -- do not want to go back to All Free liquid if I don't have to. Cheer powder makes my husband's whites and darks just sing.

• pegandken
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all the reply's. I have another question concerning HE detergent. Don't know what to do with half of a box of Persil HE powder that I was using with my old Kenmore HE3t washer. Can I use it with the SQ and just cut down on the amount used or should I just stick with a non HE type detergent for this TL washer?

• gwarstong
    9 years ago

HE will work fine. Just be aware suds-level will not be indicator of appropriate dosage because HE products don't produce suds like non-HE products.

Actually, you'll need to increase dosage rather then decrease. The "traditional" TL's like the SQ use much more water than HE machines thereby requiring more detergent to get the chemistry right. You'll probably have to experiment to see what works with your water quality and your "normal" loads.

• pegandken
    Original Author
    9 years ago

"The "traditional" TL's like the SQ use much more water than HE machines thereby requiring more detergent"

That makes a lot of sense, never looked at it that way. Thanks!!

• beaglenc
    9 years ago

@ Patann, just curious, what you don't like about All free and clear?

• Pat z6 MI
    9 years ago

beagle, All Free Clear doesn't get stains out by itself. It doesn't have enzymes to do that. So, it is great for stuff that touches my skin, which doesn't get so dirty anyway, but it's nice to know that Cheer could get it even cleaner if the enzyme in Cheer doesn't bother me when perspiring. I like All Free Clear fine for my sheets, towels, underwear, jeans not worn gardening. I just don't love the cleaning ability compared to Cheer powder. I tried Cheer Free liquid but actually didn't like it as well as All Free liquid -- can't remember if it was because of the enzyme in Cheer Free or just cleaning ability. Cheer Free also isn't marked as allergist recommended and I read somewhere that All Free is supposed to kill (eliminate?) dust mite droppings. Who knows?

• sparky823
    9 years ago

I believe All Free Clear Powder has enzymes. Might give that a try.

• beaglenc
    9 years ago

Triedand true, I have found that liquid anything is hard to rinse out. Am now using the powder form of Clorox 2, and FS's will foam in the rinse. When I research detergent ingredients, If it mentions "lauryl" anything,I stay away from it. That's the stuff they use in shampoos and soaps to make them lather. About.com laundry has lots of reviews of detergents, Including Wisk which is impossible to find on the SunProducts web site. Hope this helps.

• triedandtrue
    9 years ago

Thanks beagle nc, probably going to give cheer powder a try if my Target or Walmart is carrying the product.

• sparky823
    9 years ago

Wisk.com

Not sure if you meant you couldnt find Wisk or that it just wasnt included on the Sun site even though it is theirs.

• beaglenc
    9 years ago

Sparky823, when you click on the msd and ingredient link at the bottom of the Wisk.com page, it takes you to Sunproducts page and their form you fill out does not work.

• ArliVie
    9 years ago

Here is the form in question at Sun Products Corp for searching on MSD or ingredient listing: http://www.sunproductscorp.com/MSD_Sheets.aspx

Or, the clickable one below takes you directly to the PDF file for ingredients in Wisk Deep Clean

Here is a link that might be useful: Ingredient Disclosure for Wisk Deep Clean

• Pat z6 MI
    9 years ago

sparky, I forgot that I also like All Free powder, thanks to you, I think.
    pat

• beaglenc
    9 years ago

Well, I tried the Wisk blastpacs and they did great. Very low sudsing and rinsed out really well. On a whim it tried the liquid version and was so pleasantly surprised. When used to line 2 had excellent results. Although I have about 5 boxes of Cheer powder, Wisk will be my go to detergent. (1) it's cruelty free and (2) it cleans better and clothes feel somewhat softer. I should mention that so far the liquid seems to rinse really well, I don't have to do a second rinse.

• pegandken
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just pulled the trigger this morning and "finally" bought the SQ TL AWN 412 washer. This machine is basically the same as the 432 and 542 models but without a lot of extra cycles. Can't wait.