Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Miele W4842 (maybe all TLs) question - washing small items

Posted by Cavimum (My Page) on
Wed, May 18, 11 at 17:54

Our first FL machine and still tackling the learning curve.

Today's load of laundry included some of those thin low-cut socks that runners/golfers/tennis players wear. When the machine was finished, one of those socks was sitting on the rubber gasket, soaking wet. It was too small to get grabbed by other things while getting tumbled about, and pulled back into the load.

Do you put them all in a mesh laundry bag?

What do people do with little babies' socks?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Miele W4842 (maybe all TLs) question - washing small items

Yes, this does occasionally happens, but on the W 4842 they actually turned the glass portal door slant 180 degrees opposite of the early W 48XXs to help prevent such a thing. What settings did you use for the wash cycle?

o

@fahrenheit451 - I used Wrinkle-Free setting, my favorite for medium/small loads, because the rinse has so much water in it.

Now I'm wondering if it floated over to the gasket . . . ?

o

@cavimum, I've had my 4842 since early Feb and what you've described has never happened to me. I have two small children so their socks are smaller.

I had a Frigidaire FL for 10 years before that and never once did it happen - not even with baby socks.

I have noticed if I don't put enough in the dryer some items will get sucked into the "vent" area from all the air movement.

Maybe it was a fluke?

o

Used to happen ALL the time with my Miele W4840 and will happen too with my W4842 if I do have small socks (especially when my son was a baby).

If the load is small, it seemed to happen more. I would wash small baby socks in a mesh lingerie bag. They would never get stuck this way.

The 2 times I briefly strayed from Miele (Samsung & Electrolux)...small socks would once in a while, also get stuck.

Now that I try and run fuller loads, it does not happen.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here