Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mele63

Anything wrong with a dryer vent on front of house?

mele63
14 years ago

I'm somewhat embarrassed to say I never paid any attention to our dryer vent house until the dryer quit drying. Since then,I've learned that our vent hose (currently the flexible aluminium-foil type) is way too long because the laundry room is on the front (street) side of the house, and the vent is in the rear of the home.

Seems to me the best way to solve the problem is to relocate the vent to the front (steet) side of the house. Worst thing is that the neighbors will notice the steam coming out of the vent during the winter on laundry day. What's the conventional wisdom on this? We live in a typical suburban residential development.

Comments (13)

• dadoes
    14 years ago

There may also be some lint debris build-up on the grass/ground/vegetation around the exhaust hood (depending on how much the prevailing winds blow away) and some noise from the dryer blower and airflow. My vent is at front of the house, although somewhat obscured by landscaping. Doesn't bother me in the least. I'd be much more concerned that the dryer operates with the shortest possible exhaust route, and far less concerned about any aesthetic impact ... unless perhaps you're in a homeowners association that forbids it.

• mele63
    Original Author
    14 years ago

^ Thanks, I can tell that you "got" the point of my post, I never gave the issue much thought before, but I'm sure there are plenty of houses with inefficient/dangerous dryer venting simply because the vent is "supposed" to be in the back of the house.

• xine
    14 years ago

Shortest path seems the best to me! If it's really noticeable, keep it low, cover with a bush or a small piece of decorative fencing or something.

• devorah
    14 years ago

Mine's in the front. I never gave it a thought. It is obscured by shrubbery, but I don't know that I would care if it wasn't. I don't have anything right up against it and there is decorative rock in front of it. Once in a great while there is some lint to pick up.

• jakvis
    14 years ago

Mines in front and it's never been a problem

• regus_patoff
    14 years ago

Our Vent is also in front of the house, right behind the Dryer.

There are a few houses like ours in our subdivision that were built the same.

• cynic
    14 years ago

Lots of houses around here have the vent on the front. Who cares? Go with the shortest distance. I'm assuming that the laundry area was moved at some point? Usually they put the vent where the dryer is designed to be placed.

• DiggingInTheDirt
    13 years ago

Mele63, what did you decide to do? We have the exact same problem, and since the heating unit has died three times in the last 5 years, we believe that the length of the hose to the back of the house is the problem. We also have the laundry room at the front of the house.

• Rob Diltz
    3 years ago

We are also considering moving the dryer to the front wall from the side. My concern is we live in a semi.

it could definitely get the attention of the neighbors.

• Cavimum
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

You might want to check if there are any subdivision restrictive covenants or city ordinances about it. For example, our subdivision prohibits clotheslines in the restrictive covenants.

Likely a dryer vent won't be an issue, they are so small. Shrubbery as a screen is a good idea.

• Maggie Diltz
    3 years ago

Much appreciated. So that would be under city bylaws? Can I Internet search that - or do I have to go to city hall?

• Cavimum
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Our city has their codes online. It still takes some hits and misses, but residential was found under "ZONING". YMMV

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County