Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stacking washer and dryers of different makes

Posted by deleomeyer (My Page) on
Wed, May 23, 12 at 15:42

I just learned that my Kenmore washer was beyond repair and purchased a Samsung washer. The repair guy from Sears who pronounced my washer dead said I could stack the Kenmore dryer on top of just about any washer and suggested just placing a nonslip rug between the two. I mentioned this to the Sears dealer who strongly disagreed and pretty much said that if I wanted a stacked set (something I must have, given space constraints) I would need to purchase a new dryer!!! I also called Samsung and they pretty much said the same thing.

As purchasing a new dryer just to have a new washer is something that is Not Going to Happen, I am seeking advice. Has anyone had any experience stacking washers and dryers from different manufacturers? Any suggestions of hacks or means of making this do-able?

Thanks, in advance, for any thoughts you might have!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stacking washer and dryers of different makes

Well, I just bought the full stack even though it was the WM bearings that are almost gone.

Candidly, it becomes somewhat of a safety first issue if you mix and match manufacturer's. Spin vibration at 1000 rpm + mandates the proper mounting panel securing both entities tightly. Failure to follow this may result in a toppling accident which could endanger the customer. I would advise against this: perhaps consider a Kenmore washer if you can back out of the Samsung purchase. Voiding of new machines warranty may well come into play here too.

Sorry: it's frustrating to see a perfectly workable dryer go and pay for new. It's a sorry lot for the number of half broke stackable units. However, when taken away they get resold and appliance re-furbishers do what they can to mix and match same brand uppers with lowers or at least re-use parts, re-selling them at greatly reduced price to new purchasers for used units. It's the Circle of W/D's.

o

Google universal washer stacking kit. That will give you somewhere to start.

o

Not sure if there is a true Universal stack kit. I did Google it and came up with universal kits for some specific brands... like LG GE Kenmore sets. my best advise is if you can't really afford to do it and you still must buy a set or the dryer on a no interest credit deal, sell you old dryer on Craigslist. Some one out there will buy it. then take the money and put it toward the bill and pay the rest of as soon as you can.

o

If it's in a closet, build a shelf an inch or two above the washer and place the dryer on that. It must be strong enough to support the dryer.

If your washer is fairly recent, there may still be washers available that can be attached to your dryer. Kenmore appliances are all made by other brands; if it's a front-load washer with a slightly tilted tub and not made in the last few years, it's probably manufactured by Whirlpool and thus many newer Whirlpool (or Maytag or other brands made by Whirlpool) can be stacked below it. You need to check the mounting points though.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here