Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deleomeyer

Stacking washer and dryers of different makes

deleomeyer
11 years ago

I just learned that my Kenmore washer was beyond repair and purchased a Samsung washer. The repair guy from Sears who pronounced my washer dead said I could stack the Kenmore dryer on top of just about any washer and suggested just placing a nonslip rug between the two. I mentioned this to the Sears dealer who strongly disagreed and pretty much said that if I wanted a stacked set (something I must have, given space constraints) I would need to purchase a new dryer!!! I also called Samsung and they pretty much said the same thing.

As purchasing a new dryer just to have a new washer is something that is Not Going to Happen, I am seeking advice. Has anyone had any experience stacking washers and dryers from different manufacturers? Any suggestions of hacks or means of making this do-able?

Thanks, in advance, for any thoughts you might have!

Comments (24)

• SparklingWater
    11 years ago

Well, I just bought the full stack even though it was the WM bearings that are almost gone.

Candidly, it becomes somewhat of a safety first issue if you mix and match manufacturer's. Spin vibration at 1000 rpm + mandates the proper mounting panel securing both entities tightly. Failure to follow this may result in a toppling accident which could endanger the customer. I would advise against this: perhaps consider a Kenmore washer if you can back out of the Samsung purchase. Voiding of new machines warranty may well come into play here too.

Sorry: it's frustrating to see a perfectly workable dryer go and pay for new. It's a sorry lot for the number of half broke stackable units. However, when taken away they get resold and appliance re-furbishers do what they can to mix and match same brand uppers with lowers or at least re-use parts, re-selling them at greatly reduced price to new purchasers for used units. It's the Circle of W/D's.

• sandy1616
    11 years ago

Google universal washer stacking kit. That will give you somewhere to start.

• mike_73
    11 years ago

Not sure if there is a true Universal stack kit. I did Google it and came up with universal kits for some specific brands... like LG GE Kenmore sets. my best advise is if you can't really afford to do it and you still must buy a set or the dryer on a no interest credit deal, sell you old dryer on Craigslist. Some one out there will buy it. then take the money and put it toward the bill and pay the rest of as soon as you can.

• lee676
    11 years ago

If it's in a closet, build a shelf an inch or two above the washer and place the dryer on that. It must be strong enough to support the dryer.

If your washer is fairly recent, there may still be washers available that can be attached to your dryer. Kenmore appliances are all made by other brands; if it's a front-load washer with a slightly tilted tub and not made in the last few years, it's probably manufactured by Whirlpool and thus many newer Whirlpool (or Maytag or other brands made by Whirlpool) can be stacked below it. You need to check the mounting points though.

• simmer burner
    9 years ago

@deleomeyer did you end up stacking a washer and dryer of different makes and if so, how's that working out for you? Any light you can shed on how you solved that issue would be appreciated. Thanks!

• Mary Gordon Hall
    9 years ago

I have the exact same problem...a broken (diagnosed by two appliance guys as "dead") Kenmore front loading washer with a working Kenmore dryer. I ordered and had delivered a new Samsung washer, and the delivery guy told me that I could not mix the two...that the brackets are not the same and it would certainly topple if not bracketed correctly. My choices: Keep the new Samsung washer and purchase a Samsung dryer (Not going to happen) or purchase a compatible washer to go with my working dryer. I just called Sears and they said, indeed, my two options are another Kenmore or a Whirlpool. Samsung had much greater reviews, but, I am fine with the idea of purchasing a new Kenmore as my broken washer lived for ten years (unheard of with today's washers, so I understand). I also found out from the Sears customer rep that I can probably get credited for the money that I spent on the two appliance guys diagnoses to help towards my new washer! Good luck with your decision making!

• Philip Hall
    8 years ago

I'm going through the same thing right now. A Kenmore washer just died and I was about to buy a Samsung front loading washer to replace it. My partner and figured the smaller Kenmore dryer that remains sitting on top of the larger new washer would somehow work.....but now I'm reading your stories and wondering if anything ended up working for any of you, or if you just bit the bullet and bought a new dryer to match?

• Elisa Milano
    8 years ago

I am in the same boat right now. Our 9 year old GE washer was diagnosed "broken and not worth repairing b/c will cost more than a new one". Our dryer works just fine and the thought of spending $800-$1,000 on a new one, in addition to the new washing we NEED, is not what I want to do. The 2 GE appliances are just stacked with rubber squares under each foot. I was told by me local appliance retailer (who does not sell GE) that I need to buy another GE washer. I don't want to - I'd prefer a different one. The GE repairman suggested building the supportive shelf that would hold the dryer above the washer. Has anyone tried this or just mixing 2 brands, since this thread was started?

HELP! :)

• Monique Baha
    7 years ago

I'm trying to replace my beyond repair Samsung washer after over a month of non-sense with the warranty company, and the store is telling me that I have to buy another Samsung if I need it to stack. Ugh! Apparently the other companies don't use the stupid L-bracket screw method for stacking

• sunder_isaac
    7 years ago

I am in the same quandry. Stacked washer n dryer in closet. Washer on the blink after having paid 500$ last year (parts n labor) for control board. Similar issue now. So planning on buying a new washer and will have Home Depot who are installing washer place dryer on the side, going to build a platform and place existing dryer on it. Question: do I need to have some thing in place on the firm to prevent the dryer from moving or will it be stable just by its weight?

• practigal
    7 years ago

Put the dryer on a shelf capable of bearing its weight. If you live in a place where there are earthquakes, you know that it needs to be held in place somehow.

• Keith Brown
    7 years ago

Here's another indictment against buying a new dryer: you are forced to accept a condenser dryer vs a vented one. The condenser is a neat idea, particularly for indoor installations, but they run hot (in a closet?) and they take longer to dry your stuff. Well, my 17 year old Bosch dryer usually takes about an hour with properly spun clothes and my 17 year old washer is starting to have some pretty critical problems with : NO FACTORY PARTS AVAILABLE.

About the only option available for a vented is Asko, and it's about 3000 for their low-tech, made in Slovenia stack...yikes! I suppose we could go Kenmore, but the size that will fit has a smaller top load drum than all of the 24" fronties and subtract the agitator from that! My wife is going to the laundromat and I'm the only one getting agitated. We could remodel the garage...

• practigal
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

These are stacked, but there is a shelf in between. I think the stacking kits are not intended to stack different brands

• Keith Brown
    7 years ago

That's what the dealers will tell you. You got the point, though: you have to engineer your own solution if you want to mix and match -- even if it's newer washer/older dryer. This is a great solution, but it involved a little remodeling.

• practigal
    7 years ago

The GE compact dryer is vented and it is available through any of the big box stores. I own it and I think that it is an excellent dryer. I would definitely go with that over any nonvented the dryer. I was very curious about the condenser dryers but now that I know about the temperature issue, I cannot imagine using one. My washer-dryer have to be in the kitchen. A condenser dryer would ensure that my refrigerator would run darn near continuously. How smart is that? So much for being eco-conscious.

• ceelorene
    7 years ago

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part-number/49971/0026/110.html

Supposedly, this will handle compact models of different manufacturers.

• Teresa Vizzarri
    7 years ago

are you saying i can purchase this product and put my older Kenmore elite front load dryer on top any kind of new front load washer

i decide to buy.

• Manoj R
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I was able to stack non-compatible pairs or non-stackable pairs models of Samsung Washer and Dryer. The washer broke and we brought a new Samsung Washer WF42H5000. Older Samsung dryer model is DV206AES/XAC. As per Samsung the new washer WF42H5000 was stackable only to a relatively new dryer model DV42H5000EW/AC. But we were not happy to buy a new dryer as old dryer was working good. This is what we did:

1. New Samsung Washer WF42H5000 will be at the surface. Stacked the old dryer on top of it.

2. Used old (which was already existing in the previous set-up) stacking kit. I don't know its name.

3. The handy man bored/drilled new slots in the behind of the washer so that the steel bracket from dryer correctly fitted to the new washer slots. That's it, we were done.

4. The washer runs without any problem, no vibration. It runs normal.

5. The main problem which we foresaw was how the steel brackets will come into correct slot but that was achieved by the handy man as he bored/drilled suitable slots to the new washer to fit the steel brackets from dryer.

1. Please make sure that both washer and dryer are of same width, in most cases it will be same, say 27 inches.

• Eric Chang
    6 years ago

I have the same problem, and wonder how big a deal it is to stack them any way. Modern washers are supposed to be more vibration free, don't they (mine is not hooked up yet)? We live in Houston so earth quake is not a problem, and our units are in a closet-like area that the drier cannot fall left, right, or back. Can we just tie wires between the washer and drier? There must be places that we can run wires through. I secure a flat panel TV by securing wires into the wall — why can't I do the same with a drier? I just thought it is in the manufacturer's best interest to ask us to buy a matching set because they can make more money. Safety/liability is an added benefit of course but each household may experience different levels of risk.

• BirdofWood
    5 years ago

I stacked a Whirlpool Duet Steam dryer on top of a Frigidaire Affinity washer by way of installing an anti vibration pad and an inexpensive ratchet tie down securing both machines.....had also made a couple of flat metal links to attach to both D&W back panels, but was unnecessary. Everything works perfectly fine and there are zero issues with the Dryer “walking or running” anywhere.

• pshuot
    5 years ago

It looks like this is a fairly standard problem. I have Samsung stackable washer and dryer. Fixing the washer is more than a new washer costs. As luck would have it, Samsung no longer makes a model with identical dimensions. I found another washer, LG and width is exact and depth is about the same -- 1.5" difference. Of all the solutions, does anyone have additional advice?

• Mo Gonzalez
    4 years ago

Enviro Rubber Pad

• Caron
    3 years ago

I have a stacking Samsung front load washer & dryer. Washer is now not repairable. Lots of noise and smoke came out when I opened the door. My very trusted appliance repair guy (not affiliated to any brand) said DO NOT BUY Samsung or LG. I’m not replacing the dryer, so I’ll get a shelf built, like the one pictured above, and buy a different brand.