Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aellis722

Are whirlpool washers any good

aellis722
9 years ago

My HE top load washer from GE w/o an agitator is broke again 15 service calls in about four years. I finally talked HH Gregg to give our money back, They wouldn't do that but agreed to give use a store credit for what we paid. I'm now in the market for a used top load washer that isn't HE, I am done with those. I am looking for something that are reliable and easy to work on. Ive called a couple used appliance places around me to see what they have most of the places have Whirlpool washers. Are Whirlpool washers any good? The one I looked at said it was a Whirlpool Imperial Series Ultimate Care 2. I couldnt seem to me able to locate the model number under the lid so I couldnt track down the year or anything. All I know is that it is a Direct Drive model. What would be a good price to pay for it, they are asking 200 for it with a 30 day warranty. Im am looking for a regular no frills washer that are going to be reliable. What are your thoughts?

Comments (11)

• gwarstong
    9 years ago

Top load? Non-HE?

There's only one worth considering, IMHO: Speed Queen

Use the search function here. You'll find MANY posts on this topic. Google it for even more. They are very well known, especially among those who have become frustrated with HE machines.

The units are built in Ripon, WI, and are pretty much like the venerable Maytags of decades ago except the tub is larger and everything else is better built. They also carry the best warranty in the market. I have the AWN542 which cost about 850 installed. They have two lesser-featured and slightly less expensive offerings.

• sparky823
    9 years ago

Yes a Whirlpool or Kenmore used DD machine will be WAY better than what you have and from what I have seen on craigslist the price is about right. You might offer less. As far as a new machine you can't beat a SQ as Gwarstong said above.

• lascatx
    9 years ago

I live in an area that has had a lot of drought issues and keep hearing about more in other areas. A FL makes so much sense. I avoided them and went for the non-agitator TL, then finally went to the FL. Best washer I've had. Buying used, even with 30 days, you may be buying someone else's headaches. Asking $200 -- they obviously didn't put much into repairing it. You are braver than I am.

• aellis722
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have heard nothing but great things about Speed Queens, but I just cant afford it right now. I wish HH Gregg sold them and I could get one. I didnt get the whirlpool I talked about. Im currently looking at A Maytag LAt8415AAE dated to 2007 for 189.00 dollars, or a Kenmore model 23012101 for 225.00 dollars. They also have a whirlpool LSQ90110LW0 for 200.00. Could someone tell me a little about the Kenmore machine like who made it, the year, and is it DD or a belt driven. I just want something that would clean my clothes well and be reliable. I hope I can purchase a SQ because they would be right up my alley. thanks for all the information

• dadoes
    9 years ago

23012101 is not the full model number on the Kenmore. There are three more digits and a period at the beginning. If it's 110.23012101, that's a Whirlpool-built direct-drive machine.

LSQ90110LW0 is not a valid Whirlpool model, too many characters. LSQ9110LW0 is valid. Either 1983 or 2002 model-year, so probably 2002.

I'd be a little suspicious of the Maytag supposedly dating to 2007. It's a classic 2-belt mechanism. Whirlpool bought Maytag in 2006. Maytag-branded washers changed to Whirlpool's direct-drive design in a year or two after so it's possible ... but a friend has an LAT9406AAE that dates to Sept 1998.

The serial number on all three machines is coded for the year and month or week of manufacture.

• aellis722
    Original Author
    9 years ago

sorry dadoes i took pictures of all the numbers. let me try it again Kenmore elite mo. # is 110.23012101 and the ser.# is CM4717083
    the Maytag mo# LAT8415AAE and ser# is 13632971 there is a MY at the end of the ser# on the Maytag
    the whirlpool machine is LSQ9010LW0 and ser# is CM4319000
    or that's what the tag on all the machines is then. If there all Whirlpools, are they all pretty much the same then? Which one would you go with. Im sorry I don't know anything about this subject that's why im on here, about the only thing i know is I have had both a whirlpool Cabrio w/o an agitator and a Ge profile HE w/o an agitator and im done with the HE crap they have now. Thanks for all the information

• dadoes
    9 years ago

CM4171083 = M (2002), 41st week

LSQ9010LW0
    CM4319000 = M (2002), 43rd week

LAT8415AAE
    13632971MY = M (1995), Y (November)

The Kenmore and Whirlpool machines are the same mechanical design and are two weeks apart in date of manufacture out of the same factory (C) in Clyde, OH.

The Maytag machine is Maytag's two-belt mechanical design (not Whirlpool direct-drive).

• aellis722
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks everybody for the response and the help. I went with the Maytag because its an older one. By the way dadoes your right about the Maytag built in 1995, I did a little research and found that out this morning before a bought it. Is it a good machine? Is it easy to work on if anything goes wrong? Anyway it has to be better then the junk I just got rid of. I bought it less then the original price of 189.00 to so I think I got a good deal on it. I got it home today and started doing a major clean up to it. Would it hurt to take out the agitator, so it would be easier to clean. How would I take the agitator out on this model. It looks like there is a screw that unscrews from the bottom of the agitator, that would allow the agitator to come right off. Is that recommended? anyway thanks for all the reply's

• aellis722
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks everybody for the response and the help. I went with the Maytag because its an older one. By the way dadoes your right about the Maytag built in 1995, I did a little research and found that out this morning before a bought it. Is it a good machine? Is it easy to work on if anything goes wrong? Anyway it has to be better then the junk I just got rid of. I bought it less then the original price of 189.00 to so I think I got a good deal on it. I got it home today and started doing a major clean up to it. Would it hurt to take out the agitator, so it would be easier to clean. How would I take the agitator out on this model. It looks like there is a screw that unscrews from the bottom of the agitator, that would allow the agitator to come right off. Is that recommended? anyway thanks for all the reply's

• sparky823
    9 years ago

You can take the agitator out if you want to. The screw does come out to remove Agi. but Agi. may be stuck if it hasnt been removed before or in a long time. You will just have to try it. If you do get it out, when you put it back in put a little vaseline on the inside spline of the agitator. It will be easier removed next time. You did good getting a Maytag. Very easy to work on and very sturdy machines. Personally I had rather have it than the KM or Wp but that is just me. I told you to look for the KM/WP because usually Maytags are harder to find(at least in my area) and KM/WP would be better than your GE but glad you got the Maytag! Think you will like it too.

• aellis722
    Original Author
    9 years ago

the maytag is working great. After I did a major clean of it, I ran my first load. It uses allot more water but the wash was done in half the time the GE took. For some reason I had a shirt that smelled allot like maple syrup and the smell would never wash out with my old GE, but one wash in the maytag and the smell is completely gone now, what a relief it is to have truly clean clothes again, and not needing to make a weekly trip to the laundry mat even though ive always enjoyed watching the Speed Queens do there thing. Has anyone noticed how hard it is to find non HE detergent anymore. I assume they still make them but they are hard to find at least in my area. I know I can always use HE detergent, just dont really want to if I can avoid it. What are some good non HE detergent that I can keep my eye out for.

Sponsored
Old Dominion Kitchen Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
Loudoun County's Kitchen & Bath Design Experts | Best of Houzz 3x