Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
asolo_gw

meile rumor.....getting out of US washers?

asolo
11 years ago

Friend close to the bus. told me they heard Meile is getting out of the larger capacity US washer market. Anyone know if true or not?

Comments (76)

• zyex
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I also confirmed this today with 2 retailers and the Miele showroom in San Francisco. They said that parts will be stocked for 20 years.

Perhaps time to get an early start on floor model discounts...too bad the 5 year warranty offer is gone.

• rmtdoug
    11 years ago

"Miele will remain in the "European-sized" laundry segment indefinitely, together with the successful Care Collection products (detergents, fabric softeners, etc.)."

A small rant but here goes: Extra capacity washers simply do not exist much outside the US. Basic physics means the stresses on moving parts are exponentially increased, hence more failures. Miele sees the writing on the wall. They will simply bypass the US for a much larger world in which to sell the products they feel comfortable building.

Until people in the US understand that bigger is not always better or until it is forced upon them economically, we will continue to see shrinking availability of quality foreign products in the US. One need only look at the induction range market in the US vs the rest of the world to see this is happening with increasing frequency.

• curiousshopper
    11 years ago

Off topic but I would love to know how Speed Queen is doing sales-wise. They are sticking to the quality but expensive route.

The segment Maytag owned for decades, until they decided to slap the "Maytag" name on cheap acquired product lines and poor designs in order to increase market share in the go-go 1990s. The result of that strategy was their complete destruction. Miele is smart to stick to what they know and do right.

• covingtoncat
    11 years ago

As mentioned above, I am very happy with my smaller Euro models. The porthole size is misleading. I continue to be surprised by just how much this unit holds. I can fit king size bedding including bed spreads and coverlets, but not bulky comforters. By learning to properly sort my laundry, I have increased my loads by a two or three additional loads, but the results have been worth it. Finer fabrics look better and last longer. Whites are whiter.

I do miss my old larger dryer, however.

For those in the market for a new laundry pair, I would still suggest that ANY miele laundry units are worth a look. If you must have larger capacity, get them now. If you feel you can adjust your laundry style to work with the Euro models, you can't go wrong with Miele's build quality.

• sshrivastava
    11 years ago

Miele's only Euro-sized models (W 303X) are 110v and will not heat beyond 158F. If anyone is contemplating the 24-in Euro size, I would urge you to take a good look at Asko. They are Swedish made, offer much more programming flexibility than the Miele, and are 220v units that will heat to 205F.

Miele's remaining US models, since they are only 110v, also do not show an understanding of the US market for that size of machine. Whoever is head of US product development at Miele should be fired.

• covingtoncat
    11 years ago

Maybe they will bring back the 220 V? If not, when its time to replace (but hopefully not for many years to come), I will be looking at Asko.

Agreed, somebody @ Miele really should have been able to better predict the marketplace.

• sandy1616
    11 years ago

I personally love my European sized Askos. The size of the 24" units is a turn off to many who don't understand the capacity. Switching from a large LG washer to a smaller Asko did not increase my laundry loads per week because of the way they are loaded.

Miele and Bosch are focusing on the smaller units because that is what sells outside of North America. Asko has never manufactured the larger units, they are made by Daewoo. Asko does manufacture the euro washers.

• deeageaux
    11 years ago

The euro sized Miele with ~2.5 cu ft capacity will not wash as much clothes in a single load as the American sized units with ~4.0 cu ft capacity.

No matter how you load them or how much understanding you have of them. Ditto Bosch Axxis vs Vision.

Wal-Mart is an outrageous success here in the US and was a total failure in Germany.

It is the resonsibility of companies to adust to customers in different national markets. Not the other way around.

• sshrivastava
    11 years ago

@ deeageaux

I believe what some people are trying to say is that the way they do laundry, there is no practical advantage to a larger drum size. For instance, if you sort your laundry according to color and fabric type, you will end up with multiple smaller loads that will fit easily into a Euro sized machine, and the size and number of loads would not change and therefore a larger capacity machine will not be of much use unless your total volume of laundry increases dramatically - which is not likely for most people.

Those of you who are saying that Miele couldn't compete with the bells, whistles and "gimmicks" of the US market have obviously never seen the vast array of Miele machines available in Europe. They have every gimmick in the book, including steam, so they are already competing on "bells & whistles" in Europe, they just haven't married those features with a larger capacity. It seems that Miele didn't even make a minimal effort here.

• fahrenheit_451
    11 years ago

When we first purchased our Miele washer and dryer the place where we purchased our units and upon the first visit of a Miele Service Technician, both iterated the same reasons Miele entered the extra large capacity market: 1) the increased size, and 2) because their 220V units were a major reason Miele units did not sell well; these extra large capacity units were to capture more marker-share on both fronts and appease the North American market. However, if you study Miele, read their press releases and annual reports Miele's primary emphasis is the "premium" market. At the time these extra large capacity units hit the market there was nothing near the quality of the units--nothing. Today, the story is different, and if there is one brand that has made the most marked improvement it would be Samsung. I will even go so far as to say Samsung looks to have literally taken some of Miele's ideas and skewed them just enough to avoid legal entanglements. Plus, Samsung understands the Millennials' market exceedingly well and their new Samsung WF457 (soon to be released) is a compilation of this understanding. Looking at the marketplace advertising Miele has always done it share of advertising to the trades and is not one to employ ditzy TV personalities with a backdrop soundtrack of I Dream of Genie. What Miele's concentrates on is fabric care. How can you convey fabric care in a 30/60 second televisions spot? You can't as it is time earned criterion. (Just ask my wife why I haven't thrown away older garments going on four years? Answer: they haven't worn-out as of yet owed to our Miele washer and dyer; she would happily like to see these garments gone.)

Today's marketplace simply does not align with Miele's own style and substance. I'm not surprised for a second that Miele chose to change course and get back to what they do best, along with pursing other newer avenues that in the long-run will best serve their residential customers.

Too much marketing damage control is necessary for the W 48XX and T 98XX units owed to the initial issues they incurred. Miele did make the changes to get them right, but how can Miele compete against third party repair services that lambast Miele for their proprietary stance? They can't. How can Miele compete in the masses of low-end, high-production units? They don't even want to, for good reason. Miele best sells its products through its Miele Galleries (showrooms) and through the trades it generously supports. With reports indicating that products such as washers and dryers are near the price-point where users would rather replace than repair, this situates Miele squarely out of this particular market.

I will state that the design and style of the W 48XX and T 98XX units are the best out there; instant timeless design and style. Also, for those who read what I post at the GardenWeb you will know that I am not brand-centric and never intend to be.

• sshrivastava
    11 years ago

Samsung makes a washer that communicates with your smartphone via wifi, has an 8" tablet-like touchscreen and undoubtedly every gimmick in the book, but Samsung still can't tell you when the heater turns on or allow you to set the specific temperature of the water... nice!

• fahrenheit_451
    11 years ago

@sshrivastava,

LOL, I don't what the collective end user functions are on their new models. Miele even had Samsung beat with their RemoteVisionTM, but failed to implement in a meaningful way that would engage the customer. What Samsung has amassed is a some very serious intellectual capital and substantial resources in many fields. Also, Samsung is not afraid partner with other corporations to achieve goals. Smart Appliances are on their way as Cisco has just launched part of their integration with their new Linksys EA4500; Microsoft is heavily underway in this area too; Steve Jobs spoke of this years ago and no doubt Apple has it secretly hidden in its coffers; Google, well Google has always delved into these areas for a long time.

We received a new T 9822 in exchange for our T 9802 and within a week's time the unit underwent the dreaded sagging door hinge on its own. The latch will now hit the chassis entry point, acting as a blunt-faced chisel, if I do not make the concerted effort to lift it when closing. Now, I've come-up with a solution that works well to resolve this PITA (for both the washer and dryer). But what alludes me is how Miele could have easily cross-partnered with one of its neighboring German automobile industries to have avoided this PITA issue altogether. Simply speaking with engineers that design the doors and various closing and opening panels on a vehicle would have yielded the proper solution to this Miele taint on both their W 48XX and T 98XX series unit. In fact, my solution is one taken from the automotive industry.

• sandy1616
    11 years ago

deeageaux - I had a 4' FL before I switched to the smaller units. I never loaded it to capacity simply because with a family of 5 I never had that many like articles to launder. So, sshrivastava was correct in his interpretation. If you regularly fill the drum on a 4' washer then a smaller model would be an inconvenience. The perfect level for my 4' machine was 3/4 full. The smaller unit washes better when loaded loosely to the top. So, the capacity is misleading.

• livebetter
    11 years ago

Well ... Miele Canada confirmed it for me (here in Canada). "Yes, the full size washer/dryer have been discontinued. Parts will be in production for 10 years and will remain available until stock has expired."

I actually think Miele did a terrible job marketing this product. I had to jump through hoops to get detailed information about these units before I purchased them. I think when someone is spending top dollar for something they want to know the intricacies that make it so special (at least I did).

It's a shame ... no idea what I would buy if I had to get something else now. Suspect I'd consider the smaller units but ... I just can't see getting by with them (especially the dryer). Sigh ....

• fahrenheit_451
    11 years ago

It's a shame ... no idea what I would buy if I had to get something else now. Suspect I'd consider the smaller units but ... I just can't see getting by with them (especially the dryer).

Since my wife and I now have a new T 9822, we have considered replacing our W 4840 with a W 4842. The W 4840 works just fine, but we are considering doing this just to match unit "newest". If we were to purchase smaller Euro units it would be with ASKO (if purchased today). We both agree that 220V units for the smaller sizes is the route to go. Bosch went back to 220V...it will be interesting to see whether Miele does too.

• lee676
    11 years ago

I've got to believe Miele's US sales have been crushed by the collapse of the housing bubble, which fueled sales of high-end appliances to unprecedented levels. Along with the end of the bubble came the closing of many of the retailers that arose to take advantage of it, like Expo Design Center and The Great Indoors, both of which were Miele dealers. In my neck of the woods, three of the largest independent appliance stores that sold luxury-grade appliances folded in recent years too, leaving few Miele outlets in the area. Most of those remaining are kitchen-renovation boutiques, but the laundry often isn't in the kitchen so they don't sell many washers or dryers.

As for the 240v thing, Miele implemented it poorly - equipping their washers and dryers with 15 amp (or sometimes 20 amp) plugs, and hawking overpriced (>$200) "easy installation kits" that would adapt them to both be plugged into a single 240v/30 amp dryer outlet that is common in North America. Bosch and Asko equip their 24"w dryers with fused 240v/15a outlets so the washer can be plugged into the dryer, and the dryer takes the standard American-style dryer cord which plugs into a commonplace 240v/30a wall outlet, thus powering both machines. That approach doesn't require customers to either buy an expensive adapter box or installation of two new 240v/15a circuits, and thus doesn't lead to consumer resistance to buy 240v washers. Miele should do this, too. And as with the other aforementioned brands, Miele made no mention of the advantages of 240v power. If they prominently marketed faster wash times (and often better cleaning, given that 120v washers settle for warmer intake water and cooler end-of-wash-cycle temperatures to preserve shorter wash cycle time), customers would see 240v power as as the advantage it is.

• lee676
    11 years ago

> Bosch went back to 220V

They never left it. They added a 120v washer based on their older, smaller-capacity design which remains available, but their other models have always run on 240v power.

• gr8daygw
    11 years ago

I highly recommend GE FL washer and dryer. Not sexy enough for some but do a great job at a great price! Try it you'll like it : ) I don't work for GE but hey I'm open to it if they come calling, lol.

• suburbanmd
    11 years ago

Lee, good point about the housing bubble. What's more, the drop in renovations may have had a disproportionate effect on Miele because of their door orientation. The reversal isn't an issue in a renovation because you can build to match it. Installing a Miele set in an existing setup is more difficult. I can imagine tight setups, like in a laundry closet, where routing the dryer duct would be nearly impossible.

• fahrenheit_451
    11 years ago

One also needs to throw into the mix that if you are not within a fifty mile radius of a Miele owned tech office it's simply not worth considering Miele (at least for us, but lucky we do reside within the radius). Miele terms used to (I haven't checked recently) state that after fifty mile there is a mileage charge. Miele simply cannot effective service the US residential market given its expanse; Miele Pro is different level and expectation altogether, but you pay for it.

Lee, yes, I understand Miele has always made the 240V units, but even Bosch, like the Miele, does not hold a candle to the styling of what's currently available from ASKO in this category. Having owned ASKO products we have no issue going back with ASKO; ASKO is just a much a PITA dealing with as Miele. We're empty-nesters so downsizing to these smaller units is not an issue as the bulk of our clothing goes to the cleaners.

• sshrivastava
    11 years ago

Just compare the Asko web site to the Miele web site. It's clear Asko understands the market for its 24" machines while Miele does not. What happened to Miele and Bosch is a great example of what happens when you mis-identify your target market. Miele tried to make a machine to fit the "US market" without making any effort to differentiate its machines from the competition.

I believe it to be somewhat of a cop-out for Miele to discontinue these machines. Miele set them up for failure from the beginning by not differentiating themselves in the marketplace.

• sshrivastava
    11 years ago

If I were buying today, in the absence of a XXL capacity Miele I would probably seriously consider the Electrolux Wavetouch.

• larsi_gw
    11 years ago

Even though, I had a horrible experience with the first gerneration of Electrolux Wave Touch washers & dryers...if I had to replace my W4842 and T9802 units, I would most likely get the Wave Touch too. The dryer has reverse tumble, and the washer now allows the use to "add more water". I hate the push to open doors, but they hold a lot, and look really good (albeit, the buttons and knobs are horrible flimsy and plasticky!!).

• livebetter
    11 years ago

Reading a fav magazine today and stumbled on an ad for the new Samsung (457) with SpeedSpray and Smart Control app ... I'd check those out. I really didn't like the Electrolux design so unless they changed it I'd have to look elsewhere. Think I'd buy a full size pair like (Samsung or LG or Electrolux if they tweaked their design) and add a small Miele washer unit. That would be perfect for me :)

• livebetter
    11 years ago

Here's a link to see the app. What they won't think of next :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsMsBl6p6cc

Maybe this only works with Samsung phones ?? That wouldn't work for me ...

Here is a link that might be useful: Samsung 457

• livebetter
    11 years ago

No ... it works with the following:

Control and Monitor the Washer from your Smartphone with Smart ControlAn 8-inch Touch Screen LCD makes it easier to select the right cycle and monitor wash time. The Smart Control app* on your smartphone allows you to remotely start the washer and notifies you when your laundry is done.

*Wireless network required. Smart Control app available for iPhone 4/4S and Samsung Galaxy S/SII.

Doesn't appear to be available in Canada yet.

Here is a link that might be useful: Samsung 457

• whirlpool_trainee
    11 years ago

Despite being a rather old concept, remote-controllable appliances never caught on in Germany... but this technology has been available for many years already and from several manufacturers. Nothing new at all. Maybe manufacturers will relaunch this idea, since Smart Phones are practically becoming the norm.

Alex

• livebetter
    11 years ago

Alex, interesting that it's old news. While it's pretty cool (especially since I just got an iPhone), it certainly wouldn't make me buy it. Since I relocated my laundry to the basement though, it would be handy to see when loads were done via my phone.

• whirlpool_trainee
    11 years ago

LG had something they called Remote Laundry Monitor - you can google it. The device (a little display) would plug into a wall outlet and the washer/dryer would sent signals through the power line to this thing and it could display the time remaining. It was pulled off the US market years ago.

Today, Miele has an iPhone app (launched in 2010) to control appliances via WiFi. Other companies offer similar systems - now heavily trying to incorporate Smart Grid functionality. Most of this started years ago when homes became smart. You know, the type of houses that one can control via a central touch screen, e.g. locking doors, turning light on, security system and all that. I guess, people were (are?) too afraid someone will hack into their system and take over.

Here is a link that might be useful: Miele @ Home dating back to 2006

• fahrenheit_451
    11 years ago

@whirlpool_trainee,

Yes, I followed all of that years ago too. Even tried my damnedest to get onboard with came to be called MieleVision, but to no avail. I am very impressed with Miele's hybrid exploration as it will be the future. I believe that the States is simply bigger than what Miele can comfortably control. Too bad.

I never rule out players in the game and Miele remains on my shortlist for products in the categories my wife and I are purchasing. Miele is on the lull for now, but who knows what they have up their sleeves for the North American residential market?

• sshrivastava
    11 years ago

Miele simply did not understand the American consumer's need for appliance "bling" and felt that a minimalist effort will lead to success given their brand's reputation. Reality check! This may have been adequate at one point in time, but Miele clearly could not compete with touch screens, aggressive product upgrade cycles and me-too features like Samsung's diamond drum rip-off of Miele's honeycomb drum.

Miele's announcement is a cop-out. Instead of making an earnest effort to compete, which Miele clealry did not do, it decides to pack up its marbles and go home? Why not hire a decent marketing team and product development staff instead, and do it right?

• curiousshopper
    11 years ago

Would anyone use a washing machine smart phone app?

I love my Razr Maxx and I love my iPad, but do I need a app to tell me the play-by-play actions of my washing machine?

My power company spent a ton of money for smart meters and a web-portal so customers could monitor their electrical usage in almost real time. Guess what, nobody uses it. Huge waste of rate-payer money.

• lee676
    11 years ago

My electric power company is installing those too. Although it allows me to access power-usage info with a phone app, it's mainly so THEY can access it remotely, instead of having to send workers around to everyone's homes to read meters.

(the meter-reading guy told me this)

• fahrenheit_451
    11 years ago

My power company spent a ton of money for smart meters and a web-portal so customers could monitor their electrical usage in almost real time. Guess what, nobody uses it.

We use it. Check our Southern California SmartConnect account all the time--great information to be had! (Amazing how energy differs when you have guests over.) We've been converting light bulbs/fixtures and in the process of installing inverted rotary HVAC condenser units and we want to see the difference. Waiting for hybrid HVAC units to hit market too.

• aircommuter
    11 years ago

I have had Miele since 1997 and the people I sold my house to are loving them now. I bought the larger ones for my new house a few years ago and the dishwasher also since we also had one in the other house.
    I have repaired and rebuilt many washers and driers over the years. I rebuilt my first set which were 1957 models of Frigidaire. They were given to me when I got married in 1968. They were well built and many parts resembled automotive designs. They were owned by GM at the time.
    The Miele machines are the best, they are best built, and have great parts service and warranty. They clean the best as do the dishwashers.
    The American economy is just so bad now that they do not feel it is worth it to them anymore. They still offer the smaller euro machines. To bad we have melted down our country so far that makers of quality items can no longer find enough buyers for their products.

• jakkom
    11 years ago

>>The American economy is just so bad now that they do not feel it is worth it to them anymore. >>

Half the Eurozone is in economic recession and political disarray. Those countries would LOVE to be in our shoes.

Japan's economy just contracted almost 4%.

• MarkinAZ
    11 years ago

Yes. Miele is getting out of the market with their "largest" machines. To make matters worse, they've "dumbed down" the remaining machines they'll sell in the US and they now run on 110v current rather than on 220v like they used to. This means that they can still heat the water but not nearly as high or as fast. My 9 year old Miele is a 220v machine and it's totally plumbed to cold water. It can be set to wash at 195 degrees for sanitizing and stain removal - and it will get to exactly that temp and it holds the temp there all thru the wash cycle. Unlike machines that fill with hot water out of the tank and then the water temp declines as the cycle goes forward.

The real difference is that European washers use time, soap, and hot water to clean clothes. US machines use chemicals/enzymes/bleaches and try to do a load of towels in 30 minutes. End result is they come out smelling like chemicals and somewhat dingy from the poor rinsing the US machines use. If anyone in the family has sensitive skin - heaven help them if you use a top loader or a cheap front loader that doesn't rinse properly.

My present set of Miele's are now about 10 or 11 years old. I had the factory service guy go thru them 2 years ago and gave him "carte blanche" to do whatever he thought they needed to put them back into "new" condition. It cost me about $500 for both washer and dryer. A bargain compared to new ones. But now it's time to think about giving this pair to my daughter who just bought her first home. But what to replace them with? That was a serious matter for me.

My solution (and it's not an easy or cheap one) is to buy a pair of Miele "Little Giants". This is their smallest commercial laundry units. They still run on 220v power and will last for twenty years or longer. Cost? Outrageous! About $5500 for the pair, plus tax and installation. You may be able to find a pair here and there on sale. But count on $3900 or more for the washer and a bit less for the dryer. If you do better shopping carefully - congratulate yourself. Miele quality is worth paying for. I agonized over spending THAT much money and seriously thought of going to an Asko Washer/Dryer, but I've had Mieles for over 20 years now and ASKO just doesn't have the same quality. Close maybe, but no cigar. Asko Factory service is spotty in the US. Miele factory service is all over and always available with a phone call. In twenty years of owning Miele's, I've only had one dryer loose a bearing and go down for a week while we waited for a part. Not bad for two decades and a half-dozen different washers and dryers in all that time, which were installed in various homes we owned.

Sad really that Miele never had the sheer nerve to tell Americans that our old Maytag top loaders with their 30 minute cycle time, 50 gallon or more water used per load, and slow spin speeds, lousy rinsing, and the two-hours-in-the-dryer routine wasn't normal and worse -wasn't good for your clothes, either. Now we've got Samsung and LG and Electrolux, and GE and Whirlpool all showing their cheap front loaders with bells and whistles and one of them even calls your smart phone when it's thru with the wash and wants you to put clothes in the dryer! (Who wants to be getting calls from your damned washer, anyway?)

So yes. I'm biting the bullet and getting a pair of Miele's "little Giants". There are advantages to being old enough and well heeled enough to indulge myself this way. The only problem with buying the Little Giants at our age (early 60's) is that we'll have to leave them in the will to someone! Thankfully our daughter grew up with Miele's and she'd be delighted to have them someday. (Hopefully not too soon!) But even if it's 20 years from now, they'll still be going strong. That's the legendary Miele quality and yes, it is worth paying for... even at that lofty level!

Seems the real bottom line is that Miele cannot compete with these "glitzy" Samsung/LG/GE/Whirlpool machines in all their bright colors and fancy controls. If the public on knew what kind of crap engineering was lurking under that bright paint-job -they'd run like hell the other way. But many people care far more about "pretty" than function or durability or quality. I'm old-fashioned. I will pay top dollar for something but I only want to buy it once in every decade or two - if humanly possible. *(cell phones, ipads and computers are the exception. The tech keeps changing so fast you have to buy a new one every two or three years or you slip way behind the curve.) But that's not true of Washers and Dryers. Sadly, the glitzy Samsung and LG machines are going to be wearing out in four or five years or less. Their bargain price is no bargain when you end up replacing them 3 times in ten years. In fact, at that rate you can easily afford the Miele Little Giants and have some serious change left over.

Not to mention the savings on chemicals, power, water, and the environmental issues where Miele excels far beyond the rest of the current offerings. Wish me luck. I'll post again when these pricey little mothers arrive and are installed. I guess I'd better like them. I'm going to be driving my old Mercedes for another year or two because I bought these. Hope they're half as much fun as the new MBZ would have been!

• mara_2008
    11 years ago

Yes, there are no fancy LCD displays that show dancing bubbles, and no catchy songs at the begin or end of cycles, and No steam feature (tried steam in a Samsung and Electrolux I briefly owned, and found it utterly useless & pointless)...but the Miele units just work beautifully. I guess Americans really are just about bells and whistles, and cannot resist the shiny ball in front of them.

None of this applies to me. My Maytag Bravos washer and dryer work great w/o these features.

ITA with the poster who said that many Americans simply cannot afford Miele appliances. I know that is true.

• Pat z6 MI
    11 years ago

Wow. What a great perspective, MarkinAZ. Thank you for writing that.

Except now I have to grapple with being too poor to purchase my own Miele Little Giants.

I would be interested in knowing which laundry detergent you use in your Miele.

I'm going to save your missive above just in case I should win a lottery sometime soon. Actually, I'm going to save it because it is a good reminder of what quality vs quantity is all about. Thank you again.

Pat

• georgect
    11 years ago

Miele is so not worth the cost they demand.

Case in point Miele Capricorn Vacuum (top of the line)
    I payed around $1400.00 (added turbo brush, bigger power nozzle, extra bags & filter).

I'm SO disappointed in Miele (I don't think they know what Americans want or need on their appliances).

Cord too short.
    Hose too short.
    On board attachments are too tiny.
    The upholstery tool doesn't use horse hair (a fuzzy material is used) which came unglued and almost sucked into the vacuum, had to super glue it back on.
    Dusting brush is ridiculously too small,
    and the bristles collapse in on themselves and get sucked into the hole.
    You can't park the SEB-236 (power nozzle) on the vacuum.
    Wheels on the SEB-236 are too small.
    No matter what setting you use for carpet thickness, the SEB-236 is hard to push on thick carpet.
    The beater bar doesn't even pull the power head along, you really have to apply force.
    Wheels on bottom of the vacuum itself are too small.
    The plastic material used for the hose is too springy and bumps into things when you vacuum like walls, TV etc.
    One of the c-clips that hold the wheels on the SEB-236 came off on first use.
    Mini turbo brush is air powered, not powered by it's own motor, not very effective and stops very easily.

Sorry but my still working Kenmore Progressive canister has way more features and longer cord/hose and larger attachments.

I'll never buy a Miele anything again.

• buffalotina
    11 years ago

Miele is now out of the bigger US machine market. They are still in the small Euro machine market here, albeit 120 V (I know, I know...), but now essentially only have one model in three variations: white, SS and integrated.

@MarkinAZ: Loved your post and agree with almost every word. Per my other recent postings here my 9 year old Bosch Axxis Euro size washer has just failed. Looks like it is the control board which part alone is over $500. I purchased this 9 years ago for $1200 and have a ca $600 motor replacement since then. So now I have a 9 year old dead machine which has cost me almost $2K - oh how I wish I had ponied up the extra for the Miele back then!I spent the last few weeks assessing my options and have now ordered the Miele residential W3033. Please cross your fingers that this machine will work well enough ( I am downgrading from 240V Bosch to 120V Miele) and last well enough....If I had known what I know now then the purchase you are making of the Little Giant would have made so much sense - for the price of my Bosch and my new Miele I could have had that machine and be still quite young in its service life. However, at this point I cannot get into the commercial price point and hope that the W3033 will be a good investment.....wish me luck!

My choice of the Miele this time around was based on a process of elimination: refuse to get another Bosch, which is now cheapened over the build quality of my 9 year old machine, and the Askos have this ridicuous outer door which I do not like. I also looked at one of the top models and thought the detergent flip out tray was flimsy and badly designed. Just did not like it. Their entry level machine without outer door does not have an induction/brushless motor which rules it out for me - my Bosch motor brushes wore out after 5 years necessitating the expensive repair. So despite 120V I am at Miele....Miele CS swears the 120V heater will be good enough....I hope so. I actually do not think I would use the true boil wash: I rarely even used the 70 C was on my Bosch, though I think I might try to experiment with it on my new Miele. I am toying with the notion of switching the new Miele to cold fill only which you can do via the service menu. I will see what that does to wash times. But, BTW, wash times do not bother me one little bit.

Please do post when you get the Giants!

• sshrivastava
    11 years ago

Asko is a much smarter choice than the Miele Little Giants. They are also about half the cost.

• buffalotina
    11 years ago

sshrivastava - I have read and appreciated your posts on this forum. I sincerely hope my Miele choice works out OK....I believe you have the large Miele's and are OK with the 120 V - is that right? Thanks!

• maryjos
    11 years ago

It's been interesting to read this thread and how many of you love your Miele's. I actually have had mine stored in the garage of my rental home and had some big front load Whirlpools to use while I've been here and it really impressed on me one thing. I really hate how wrinkled my clothes come out of the Miele's! So much so that I have been hoping to sell them before I move and get something else. I had bought the smaller ones maybe 5 or 6 years ago so only used them for about 2 or 3 years but what I remember most is how my clothes always came out at the end so wrinkled. No matter the fabric or settings, WRINKLED! I simply don't seem to have that problem with the Whirlpool (although I do hate the mildew issues which I never had with my Miele's). Also when I bought them, I particularly chose them since on this forum I'd been told that the smaller European models would be less likely to have vibration issues on a second floor. Well that little washer shakes the house something awful, you can feel it anywhere in the house, it was pretty bad. I can't imagine a larger one being all that worse, and some of today's models advertise vibration dampening technology I hope would help.

So I guess now I am wondering, am I doing something wrong that my clothes look so bad?? And is there any way to deal with the vibration problem? Has anyone found that pedestals help with this? I have to decide in a few days if I am going to have the movers take the W/D set upstairs or leave it down in the garage so I can continue trying to sell it but seeing the comments here I wonder if I am selling them too soon. I'll lost a lot of the money I put into them, but I have a lot of medical issues and I just can't deal with having to iron clothes that should come out of the dryer ready to wear.

• aintnojive
    11 years ago

Our local shop has a W4842 floor model. He won't sell it to me yet because it's broken and they're waiting on a part. Something about a cracked drum where you add soap?

He's gonna call me back with a price and timeframe on when it will be fixed. Worth it or not?

• akrogirl
    11 years ago

Mark, if you actually are in AZ, Arizona Wholesale Supply had a floor model set of Little Giants on sale a while back. They were still there on our last visit, so might be worth a call.

Upon their demise, we replaced our old Askos with the Little Giants because the Asko washer just wasn't big enough to hold my saddle pads (I personally loved the outer door), and I was insistent on having a 220V machine. We have had our units for over a year now with no problems.

If you haven't already done so, I strongly recommend visiting the Miele Gallery in Scottsdale and testing out the machines.

• fahrenheit_451
    11 years ago

@aintnojive,

Make sure you get the following with your W4842 as you should not transport the washer without them. Save them after you move the unit to your residence for any future moves.

• moon1234
    11 years ago

We have the w4840 and the t9800. We are a family of 10 and I can not imagine going to a smaller machine. We have have a Bosch WAS24460uc and a Siemens condensor dryer for our diaper duty.

The Bosch and Siemens are both 220V. The washer plugs into the dryer. They do a great job, but they would be way too small for our family.

If/when the Miele W4842 dies, I am not sure what I will do. The little giants are, well, too little. Miele's ONLY offering would be the larger professional units. They are all three phase and have a ginormous price tag.

Miele DID have the technical know how for large capacity machines. They could have taken the COMPLETE design from the professional series and used THAT in the Wxxx series. THAT would have made a killer home machine in the US. The control panel would have blown away most of the US offerings.

• Cavimum
    11 years ago

@maryjos - Seems to me that any machine on a pedestal would exacerbate the potential for vibrations, because the whole thing would be more top-heavy.

• shcydi
    11 years ago

I too was very disappointed to hear about Meile discontinuing their larger washer/dryers. My Fisher Paykel I have had some problems with and we are moving in 2 months. Perfect opportunity to upgrade to a nice new set. EXCEPT all I read are complaints (even lawsuits-LG gas dryers) about Consumer Reports top rated LG, Samsung and the not so highly rated Whirlpool, Maytag or GE. Even appliance repair people say everything these days is not made to last. Our new house will be in the mountains, about an hour from the nearest service person, so if I ever do need a repair that is an issue as well. I believe I have decided to repair my current Fisher Paykel and keep the set until they completely die. Perhaps it can buy me a year or two and perhaps in that time these appliance companies will make machines that actually work consistently well! My stupid 7 yr old FP's haven't had half the problems I read about with the "top rated" ones out there today. I know, I won't hold my breath!

Sponsored
Maruca Design / Build
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Exceptional Residential Design and Remodeling Services in Fairfax