Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gtadross_gw

Dreft baby detergent for HE machines

gtadross_gw
17 years ago

Hi all,

I have a newborn baby coming in a few weeks, and I'd like to wash her clothes before she arrives. Everyone's been recommending that I use "Dreft," which is a detergent specifically made for babies.

The problem is they don't make Dreft for HE front-loader machines. Should i still use Dreft, but just less of it? Or are there any detergents that exist that are specifically formualted for baby clothes that will be washed in a HE front-loader?

Thanks...

Comments (14)

• mamasteph
    17 years ago

Congrats on the new baby! I had my third little boy 4 months ago. Anyway, from what I understand, the "free" detergents will be fine for baby clothes (some say they're even better than Dreft or Baby All). The fragrances can be too much for a baby's sensitive skin. My son has sensitive skin, but he's been fine with when I use Tide Free.

(FYI...Oxyclean will work wonders on baby stains)

Stephanie

• parrot_phan
    17 years ago

Like many members of this forum, I've used All Free & Clear in the big jug (not marked HE but low sudsing nontheless) to wash baby clothes in my FL for my newborn nephews. It was the same detergent their mother used on their clothes and for the whole family's laundry. Try 1/2 cap per load.

• andrea2
    17 years ago

By the way, in Price Chopper a couple of days ago, I did find a bottle of All Free & Clear HE!!

(I have never seen that anywhere else, only Fresh Scent in the HE version.)

• parrot_phan
    17 years ago

Cool, Andrea! Glad to hear they're introducing it.

Was it a traditional bottle of All or one of those triple-concentrated little bottles?

The big suds manufacturers finally seem be getting hep to the demand for unscented HE detergents.

• andrea2
    17 years ago

Sorry, I meant to say "All Small & Mighty HE free clear allergen fighter", the little bottle. I thought the All Small & Mighty HE was the most promising of the "commerical" HE detergents I have tried.

I didn't even know there was an HE version of the traditional large bottle!

• andrea2
    17 years ago

I would recommend Charlie's Soap detergents for baby clothes, because it rinses extremely welll, and is unscented.

• parrot_phan
    17 years ago

Andrea --

I've only seen standard All HE scented (big blue jug) and All HE Small & Mighty scented (little blue jug).

I've never seen an HE version of All free & clear, either the big jug or Small & Mighty. But I've long used the stuff out of the big white jug in my FL with great results.

Can't wait for the Small & Mighty free & clear HE to arrive in my supermarket. That scented Small & Mighty HE is too odoriferous for my tastes and I want to cut my bottle of it with the concentrated free & clear.

Thanks for the info!

--P-Fan

• cyclone76
    17 years ago

Hi,
    I also haven't found the All free & clear - even All doesn't show it on the product selector on their webpage at

http://www.all-laundry.com/questions.asp?catNum=6&questionNum=12

Suggestions I've come across state to use 1/2 of what is recommended for the non-HE washers. Not sure how well that works though.

But there are several HE washing detergents for babies around now. Check out the following links:

http://www.shopnatural.com/
    Enter "baby laundry detergent" into the search field in the upper right corner -- the listing includes several HE-specific detergents, i.e. from Mountain Green.

Here's a link to a test performed by The Diaper Jungle:
    http://www.diaperjungle.com/he-detergent-chart.html

Hope those help!
    Cheers,
    Matthias

• kenmorewasher
    17 years ago

Tide HE Free Clear
    All HE Free Clear
    All HE Small Mighty Free Clear
    Sears HE Free Clear
    Quixtar/Amway HE Free Clear

• jcrowley99
    17 years ago

If you want to know who carries All Free & Clear HE in your area all you have to do is call Unilever. Their customer service number is 800-298-2408. They can tell you every store in your area that should stock this item. If the stores do not have it in stock, they (the store) should order it if you ask for it. As an added bonus, if you call to find out where you can purchase an item, they will send you a coupon book with coupons between $ .50 and $1.00 on products.

• oneplustwins
    17 years ago

I have purchased All Small and Mighty Free and Clear He at Target, Wal-Mart, Food Lion (located in NC, SC, VA, and TN) and Kroger (aka Fred Meyer). Amazon also has a 9 pack of 32 load bottles of it for $50.39 with free shipping. Not the best price I've seen for a 32 load bottle, but not too bad either.

• illinigirl
    16 years ago

Also there is the Method HE baby detergent. It is one of those concentrated ones. I'm due in a few weeks too, and I just did my baby clothes today.

A big question I have though is how much of these super concentrated detergents to use? About a third of what they recommend?

• Cyberspacer
    16 years ago

I would say that Dreft has a market niche, but I would doubt if it really rinses or cleans any better than other formulations. I'd go with a HE Free brand, lots out there. The Persil Sensitive is good, albeit a tad on the pricey side. I use that from time to time - - it does have a very light scent that washes away.

• laundrytech
    16 years ago

Best HE detergents to use are "Unilever Brands" - ALL & WISK they own the patent on HE detergents.

The other brands have to add "additives" (which equals COST). This also leads to the odor common with FL washers.
    Has any tried Persil? It is a German brand detergent, which I have heard produces no odor