Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pokee99

Can Anyone Recommend a Top Load Washer?

pokee99
15 years ago

I am moving and need to buy a new washer/dryer. My current washer/dryer is almost 6 years old and I'd like to replace them with similar models. They are Kenmores (washer is 3.2 c.f. capacity).

I have done my research, and decided against buying a front loader for various reasons. I am not interested in the new HE top loading washers - I really want a conventional one.

I am happy with the Kenmore I have now, so I am considering buying another Kenmore or a Whirlpool. I'd probably buy a Speed Queen if they were available in Canada.

Has anyone recently bought a new conventional top loader that has proven to act like their old one?

Thanks!

Comments (18)

• milo2000
    15 years ago

No. But if you really want one a Fisher Paykel is in between a toploader and frontloader. It uses less water and energy because it extracts more water at around 1000 rpm vs a standard toploader which run 400-500 typically. Also the Calypso types are supposed to be good but I have not used them. They function similar to the F&P. More water extraction equals less drying energy as well. For getting stains out it is hard to beat a good frontloader.

• dadoes
    15 years ago

milo2000 apparently is confusing Calypso with the Cabrio-type impeller machines (Whirlpool Cabrio, Kenmore Oasis, Maytag Bravos, F&P AquaSmart, and perhaps GE's Harmony). They are all HE (high-efficiency) toploaders, but the Calypso is a very different mechanism from the others.

Calypsos have not been manufactured for more than a year and are not listed on Whirlpool's and Kenmore's web sites. They are effectively off the market, although there may be a few hanging around as "old stock." I've run across just one online appliance seller that still lists them.

• mihi
    15 years ago

Here is my 2-cents, and I'm not the expert here that some are.

If you want a top-load, I'd go with the Fisher-Paykel. That's what we did about 1.5 years ago and are very, very happy with it. Ours was the GWL-15 and it cost me $450 new (I got a pretty good deal on it). My wife loves it, so I'm happy, but I really like it too. It does a great job cleaning the cloths. It does a fantastic job spinning (extracting) the water from the cloths, so there is very little time for the cloths needed in the dryer. And it has the smoothest spin of any washer I've ever seen - it just doesn't shake the up-stairs of our house at all.

I contacted a local repair guy that I know prior to buying it, and he gave it a good report for reliability. So far no problems on this end. He also said they were typically quite easy to fix.

But if you have to have a conventional top-loader, and since they don't make the Maytag Dependable Care anymore (the real ones they stopped making in about 1999), and if you can't get a Speed Queen which I really like too, then I'd go with standard Whirlpool top-load model. They're fairly easy to work on for the service guys, parts are very available and reasonably priced, and they just seem to have fewer problems than several of the other traditional top-loaders these days.
    Good luck.

• milo2000
    15 years ago

Thanks. I did have the wrong one above.

I would agree with Mihi that the Fisher Paykel is very smooth compared to any top or front loader. Very little vibration noise. The unit does make a few whining type noises as others have said it sounds a bit like a jet engine. It is not loud and not that noticeable if you are doing something else. The top load dryer is a nice compliment but any dryer will work. It is nice to go from top top top rather than bending over to load a front loading dryer. If I had a good dreyr I would consider just the washer though.

• mayguy
    15 years ago

I would never own a top loader again, I had our front loader over a year, and been very pleased with it.. Best thing I like about it, easy on my clothes, and hold a lot more.

My parents are coming up on their 4th year, and mom is pleased with the front loader.

I pulled my water bill up from the year before after I got my front loader, and saved over 11,000 Gallons of water!

Why don't you want a front loader?

• otterhead
    15 years ago

Deja Vu......

Any Whirpool manufactured direct drive machine will do you well.

That would be Whirlpool, Kenmore Direct Drive, Inglis, Roper

To repeat what I posted in reply to your original question a couple of weeks ago, we replaced whirlpool with the closest model whirlpool (WTW5700) when we moved and have had no issues.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    15 years ago

We are very pleased with our top loading Whirlpool Cabrio no agitator washer. It gets everything clean, with less water and spins things almost dry. I can fold clothes on top of my washer/dryer, and I don't have to bend down to the floor to put stuff in and out, as with front loaders (bad back). And (I think) it is the largest capacity washer on the market, or it was a year ago, anyway.

• pokee99
    Original Author
    15 years ago

>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    I pulled my water bill up from the year before after I got my front loader, and saved over 11,000 Gallons of water!

Why don't you want a front loader?
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Mayguy - we have decided not to buy a front loader for various reasons (you can read my previous post on 10 reasons I am afraid to buy a front loader) but the ultimate reason was because all of the vibration issues on upper floor installations. Our laundry room is on the second floor of our house and we're just not willing to invest $2000+ to find out that we have the vibration issue. Just read more of this forum to see all the posts about vibration problems (and the companies that have popped up selling rubber padding to reduce vibration) and you they will speak for themselves.

It's great that you save money on your water bill. It's a good reason to go with a front loader. Since I won't be saving water when doing my laundry, I'll have to make a conscious effort to save it elsewhere. Maybe less baths in the big soaker tub!

• lulundave
    15 years ago

pokee,

I have a Whirlpool Cabrio with agitator.I have had it for 13 months without any trouble. It handles very large loads. It spins clothing so fast that drying time is cut down. It is a standard top-loader but I think a top of the line top-loader.
    So far we are very pleased. Another nice feature is that it adjusts the amount of water needed based on the load you put in or if you like you can set it at your own prefered water level.
    Hope this helps and good luck.
    I am from Canada too and I wish I could have bought a Speed Queen. It's a shame you can't buy them here.

• cynic
    15 years ago

Question for the folks with the machines that automatically set the water level. Obviously you have to adjust the detergent for the load but how often do you have a problem with not enough or too much detergent? With a standard machine puttting in a given amount of water, you put in a given amount of detergent after you determine what is the right amount for your situation. Slight variations if the clothes are unusually dirty or something but for the most part they're set amounts. I imagine it's part of the learning curve on a different machine, but I'd like some feedback from people on whether this is an issue or not?

Appreciate your thoughts and comments.

• jrdown
    15 years ago

Cynic ~

I have a Fisher & Paykel and it totally senses how much water is needed. After doing laundry for 30+ years I have a pretty good idea if I have a full load, half load or less.

If I have a lot of clothes or especially dirty then I use a full scoop. If I have a half load or less then I use half a scoop. Either way you look at it the most I use is about 1/4 cup but often use less.

The ones that have worked the best for me are Gain (I love the traditional fragrance but don't use the detergent anymore ... feels too itchy but cleans well), Sears Ultra Powder or Charlie's. I use Charlie's all-purpose liquid for clean up and pretreating stains. It's a good product and is very versatile.

Robyn

• lulundave
    15 years ago

cynic,

I have the Cabrio with agi that senses the water level too. For soap I do the same as Robyn does. If I have a really big load I use 1 full scoop or capful. Less if I have smaller loads. With 2 dirty kids at home and a factory working hubby I have never had a problem with not enough soap or too much.

I haven't found it at all different than what I used in my old Kitchen Aid TL.

I use Sunlight (Canadian product)liquid and powder and sometimes Costco's Kirkland Liquid. I really want to try Charlie's but it is very expensive in Canada and I just can't justify it when Sunlight or Kirkland is so economical.

• cynic
    15 years ago

Thanks for the input. So I guess it's just basing on volume of clothes rather than water. So essentially there's not an issue I guess. I was just wondering. Just something I've wondered about. I had visions of it using a lot less or lot more water than I would guess and either wind up having clothes not getting clean or too much detergent.

Thanks again!

• faithdog
    15 years ago

I too am not a fan of FL. I have three friends who have them and I have used them when at their house. My biggest ICK is the black mold around the front opening. It seems impossible to clean and ICK who wants to be around MOLD???!!! I read on this forum many comments about leaving the door open; what is the point of having to leave a door open and bang into it? - that is not practical, and takes up room.

My GE top loader that was 8 years old just died. I am now trying to figure out what to purchase. Although I like GE, the washing machines don't seem to last very long. I am not hard on washers, single person household, don't live in the house full time so I am not running this washing machine 10 times a week. I am very disappointed with the last washer. It was a "top of the line" model. It seems that all of the manufacturer's mentioned: LG, Fisher Paykel, Maytag all have flaws. It does not seem that the more you spend the longer they last.

I would like to spend in the $400 range so I know that eliminates FL's anyway.

Any suggestions where I might find a site that rates the service ratings of manufacturers?

Thanks a bunch!

• bobpratt
    15 years ago

We highly recommend the Maytag 6700.

After one month, my wife loves it. No complaints at all.

Be sure to get a 6700, there are questions in the reviews of the 6600.

Buy American !!
    All front loaders are made overseas.

• looser
    15 years ago

bobpratt,
    it is not true that all FLs are made overseas. The majority of them are, but so are many TLs nowadays. Many of the parts of US made appliances also come from China or other overseas places.

The large Bosch FLs (Nexxt series) are made in North Carolina just like Bosch dishwashers and other appliances.

• kingstonian
    15 years ago

The Speed Queens are hard to beat as far as Top Loaders go. It does not have as many bells and whistles as the latest TLs but it is rock solid, extremelly well balanced and the spin speed of 710 is not bad considering. I too am Canadian and I picked up the Speed Queen across the border for $699.00 USD which is about $700.00 Canadian dollars nowadays. The duty amount coming across the border was $40.00 or so and the Speed Queen will fit any Minivans (it fit in my Mazda MPV and that's not a big van). The beauty with buying a Speed Queen is knowing that it will likely be troublefree for many years, even decades to come and that is well worth a trip to our friendly neighbours to the South.

Cheers!

• javanaut
    15 years ago

Let me warn people about the Maytag MTW6700TQ Bravo, which is a high efficiency top loader. It is a slightly later model than the MTW6600. The older MTW6600 is very similar to the Kenmore Oasis, and the Whirlpool Cabrio (all made by Whirlpool it would seem). The MTW6600 was apparently known for twisting clothes too much. The redesigned impeller on the 6700 was supposed to fix that problem, which I think it has. That's not the problem we're having.

I just cannot figure how others haven't seen the same problem as us. The claim is high capacity. But if you put anything close to a full load, most of the time the close on the top never leave the top. Even for half load it sometimes happens. The clothes on top will just stay on top and never get moved around or tumbled about. I've seen this over and over now, and in fact I'm watching a load right now where a small throw blanket on the top of some clothes has not budged from the beginning, hovering on top like a cover.

I bought a Maytag cause I loved our old one until repairs were getting too expensive.

I read a few positive reviews about the 6700TQ before buying it (reviews are kind of hard to find), and I just don't get it. Maybe people aren't watching it through the clear top to see what's happening with the clothes. It takes about 15 minutes after the start for the actual wash cycle to start. (the whole process is about 57 minutes if you do an extra rinse). I'd love to hear what other owners of the 6700TQ have experienced.

It's really too bad, because my wife and I much prefer the convenience of a TL, and this one seemed great on paper, and it seemed really nice to load the clothes without the agitator post in the way. But if it doesn't work right, it doesn't work right. Try to see a demo before you buy.

Until they get the kinks worked out, I'd recommend the old style TL, or a FL. We thought hard about the Samsung FL with vibration reduction technology and Silver Care.