Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nsb23

What should I look for in a front loading washer? WP or Maytag?

nsb23
9 years ago

Hello I'm in the market for a new front loading washing machine my 8 year old whirlpool just broke down. I've read to stay away from samsung and LG. What should I look for in a front loader? I've read to look at buying one with a steel basket stuff like that

Right now I'm thinking about buying a whirlpool or maytag

http://www.maytag.ca/en_CA/Laundry-1/Laundry_Laundry_Appliances_Washers-3/102290050+4294967052/

http://www.whirlpool.ca/en_CA/Laundry-1/Laundry_Laundry_Washers-3/102280047+4294966878/

What do you guys think about the ones up too $1300 in the above links? Are the $1500 really better?

What about this one?I can get it for $1000
http://www.maytag.ca/en_CA/laundry-1/laundry-appliances-2/washers-3/-[MHW6000AG]-1501658/MHW6000AG/

This post was edited by nsb23 on Sun, May 18, 14 at 13:28

Comments (5)

• mrb627
    9 years ago

Since Maytag is made by Whirlpool, they are essentially the same machines with some variations on the appearance and a few cycles.

MRB

• nsb23
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks

Are the machines i posted good?

This post was edited by nsb23 on Mon, May 19, 14 at 11:29

• herring_maven
    9 years ago

nsb23: "I've read to stay away from samsung and LG.'

Consider the source. It happens that the worst appliance repair service that we have experienced in more than half a century was with Whirlpool service, but I do not tell everybody to stay away from all Whirlpool appliances because of our poor service experience with one appliance; be aware that anecdotes of bad service by one brand or another are just that: anecdotes. I suggest that one take others' blanket statements about two major world brands to be puffs of hot air.

Both LG and Samsung make excellent washing machines. The two Korean companies are making a huge push to become the biggest brands of large appliances worldwide, and they are well on their way to that goal. The perfect appliance has yet to be built, and every individual machine may have features or missing features or manufacturing defects that you may find an annoyance.

Looking for a stainless steel drum is not a bad idea. Looking for a dimpled stainless steel drum is a better one, but it will limit you to two brands, Miele ("Honeycomb" drum) and Samsung ("Diamond" drum). When local areas of your laundry's fabric get pushed into the drainage holes through which water is extracted in the spin part of the washing cycle, wear of the fabric is accelerated. The drainage holes in the Miele Honeycomb and the Samsung Diamond drums are positioned around the dimples in such a manner as to reduce the pushing of tufts of fabrics through the drainage holes, and, fortuitously, the design also allows the diameter of the drainage holes to be reduced, further limiting push-through. Dimpled drums are a very worthwhile feature.

Here is a link that might be useful: YouTube video that explains the Samsung version

This post was edited by herring_maven on Tue, May 20, 14 at 17:22

• xc60
    9 years ago

We bought top of the line Sumsungs a couple of years ago, had several issues with them. Mostly error codes when everything was good, stuck buttons, electronic board no longer working properly in less than two years and the faulty design of the lint tray in dryer not going in flush when in place leaving a corner sticking out and catching and ripping our clothes.

We just built another new home and went with Maytag this time. Waiting for them to be delivered sometime today. Hopefully they will be more reliable than our Samsungs.

• lascatx
    9 years ago

I have LG and am very happy with them. Previous ones as well as some other appliances were Whirlpool/Kitchenaid family. I am not dumping my mixer, but I do not have a large appliance made by them and will not for the foreseeable future. If you do buy one, don't buy their extended warranty. It was their required service company that killed my last machine , but I could avoid that issue. The reason I will not buy from them again is the corporate dishonesty. The customer service was terrible, but to make matters worse, while I was in discussions with them, they changed the warranty language posted online to limit the coverage on exactly the issue we were discussing.