Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
patann_gw

Sensitive laundry detergent again

Pat z6 MI
11 years ago

I know we have been through this before, and I did do a search, but circumstances change all the time. If you have sensitive skin, want your clothes to get as clean as possible, what is your current recommendation for a laundry detergent, liquid or powder, that does not bother your skin? I have used Tide Free powder, All Free liquid, Cheer Free, Arm & Hammer free, all with hot water and extra rinses. Help. Please.

Comments (9)

• Cavimum
    11 years ago

@patann - I cannot remember if you have a front-load washer. Even with cutting our doses to 1/4 of detergent label suggestions (and yes, the clothes are coming out clean), our Miele W4842 doesn't rinse well enough to remove *all* the detergent residue. The only we we don't have rashes and itching is when I check the final rinse for any bubbles or suds.

I've had to do sometimes 3 or 4 extra rinses, or run the cycle again without detergent. It really helps to run an "Express" wash first, after removing the load of laundry, before doing the extra rinses. That ensures any residual suds are removed and I'm rinsing the laundry only.
    Sounds crazy, I know, but with our 'moderately hard' water (80 - 100 mg/L) it must be done for our sensitive skin.

I use no fabric softener at all, and only unscented "free" types of HE detergents.

The bottom line is that the detergent may not be a factor at all, but inadequate rinsing by the machine (if over-dosing of detergent is not the culprit).

• covingtoncat
    11 years ago

Have you visited any websites for allergy sufferers? They may have some detergents they recommend. I think I saw some cleaning products on allergybuyersclub.com when I was looking at Miele vacuum cleaners. I'm not affiliated with them, just thought it might be helpful.

• oasisowner
    11 years ago

We have found 3 that don't bother any of us: Ecos, Mom's, and Country Save.

• knot2fast
    11 years ago

Buy a traditional deep-rinse top loader while you still can.

• mydreamhome
    11 years ago

Charlie's Soap Laundry Detergent (we prefer the powder in our FL). Only 1 tablespoon required per load, 80 loads in a container, cleans well, rinses clean, & clothes come out soft with no fabric softener required.

http://charliesoap.com/laundry_liquid.html

http://charliesoap.com/laundry_powder.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Charlie's Soap

• Pat z6 MI
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Still have top loader. Thank you everyone; I really appreciate your advise. Hot water and extra rinsing is so key. Then, finding a OB- and enzyme-free detergent, like Country Save. We'll see.

• cohoss
    11 years ago

You can buy Sportsman laundry liquid at Walmart (look in the hunting section). It's specifically made without OB-s or enzymes. Word on this forum is that is may be the same formula as Charlie's liquid soap (they won't confirm). But it's a way to try it at a smaller size (one bottle=18 loads I think). I keep a bottle of it around for washing my down coats.

• herring_maven
    11 years ago

patann: "If you have sensitive skin, want your clothes to get as clean as possible, what is your current recommendation for a laundry detergent, liquid or powder, that does not bother your skin?"

Biokleen All-Temperature Liquid. (Biokleen Cold Water Formula Liquid is similar, but contains enzymes -- absent in Biokleen All-Temperature -- to which some individuals may be allergic.) We use Biokleen All-Temperature Liquid with a dollop of 20 Mule Team borax, and the combination cleans better than any other detergent that we ever have used. It is perfect for those with sensitive skin or allergies.

Here is a link that might be useful: Biokleen varieties

• Pat z6 MI
    Original Author
    11 years ago

cohoss and herring, thank you very, very much.