Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sshrivastava

Tide Coldwater earns 'Green Good Housekeeping Seal'

sshrivastava
12 years ago

I just learned that Tide Coldwater was the first laundry detergent to earn the Green Good Housekeeping Seal in 2010. So what does Good Housekeeping think is "green" about Tide Coldwater? According to this blog post, ingredients, product safety, water and waste reduction in manufacturing, and corporate responsibility of the parent company, Procter & Gamble.

Given recent debates about the dubiousness of the product claims of various "green" detergents, how do you all feel about a P&G product like Tide getting a "green" seal from Good Housekeeping? I think this is worthy of discussion, since I was under the impression that Tide contained some pretty toxic ingredients.

Comments (7)

• covingtoncat
    12 years ago

My first thoughts, "What's green about it?" The fact that its geared toward cold water washes? More highly concentrated? IDK, but a product that immediately makes my skin feel like it needs washing within moments of contact (if it gets on my hands when I'm putting it in the machine) doesn't seem very green or natural to me.

I'm interested in reading what other's have to say on this, too.

• asolo
    12 years ago

Over the last four decades I've had my turn buying into the various "cold water formula" offerings that have come to us. Like today's, they worked....after a fashion.....and if you didn't really need the level of cleaning you'd come to expect...and a had a good enough imagination to pretend they were "just as good". They weren't just as good. Today's aren't either.

I have soft water and use appropriate (which is to say small) amounts of Tide HE powder. Excellent results for six years, now. My coldest wash temperature is approx. 95F. Most often 100-105F. Sometimes heat-boost to 130F. ( I have allergies and sensitive skin. If I wasn't getting good rinsing, I would certainly be among those who would know immediately.)

You think you're going to get the results I do with "Green" Tide Coldwater and 60F water? I'd suggest a mental adjustment, by which I actually mean a reality-check.

• Cavimum
    12 years ago

"These four Tide Coldwater products did particularly well for their ingredients and product safety, water and waste reduction in manufacturing, and the corporate responsibility of the parent company, Procter & Gamble."

IMO the telling phrase is 'did particularly well for their ingredients......' (so does Charlies Soap, but I digress) GH is saying that based on the ingredients in Tide Coldwater HE and how it is made, it got the job done, and that the manufacturing process and what happens to the chemicals after it leaves our washing machine have a lower impact on the environment. It never says that it excels at cleaning and leaves no residue, but focuses on environmental impact. JMO

• cynic
    12 years ago

Seems pretty irresponsible to me to attack P&G or the product for getting some pseudo "award" from Good Housekeeping. GH is trying to promote itself and is no more credible to me than Consumer Ripoffs, er, Consumer Reports.

The fact is that P&G has made reductions in packaging, water use, paper use and other things, as have others. That has happened. Now whether this is important to each person, and how important is up to them. Some self-serving publication doesn't get much credibility in my eyes for these types of judgments. And I think it's also important to realize that these reductions are probably not prompted solely by environmental "good intentions", rather by the incentive to save money on packaging, production, delivery and shelf space charges.

• asolo
    12 years ago

Don't much care about awards. Makes me think of how many abominable movies won "best picture" at the oscars.

I want clean clothes. I know how to get them. My method has nothing to do with cold water and claims from purveyors of soap. Other people can do what they want. I conserve just about every way possible but sometimes I feel like I'm being diddled to death by the environmental police.

• livebetter
    12 years ago

I guess there is something "green" about the energy saved using cold water - I don't think cold gets certain things clean no matter what they say. Bed sheets or towels in cold water? No thank you.

I would be interested in some analysis of products that use petroleum (Tide) for surfactants vs those that use renewable sources (ie. Seventh Generation, Method, Clorox Greenworks, etc).

What's greener? Using cold water or not using depleting resources? What about less water pollution after they go down the drain? I think "green" is a complex issue.

• sshrivastava
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Apparently companies have to apply for the seal, and GH will not release the names of companies who applied for the seal but didn't get it. You can check the FAQs at the GH site to see how they administer this program. While they don't come out and say that companies pay for it, they do say that there are some "advertising" costs associated with using the seal.

This is probably nothing more than a money grab on the part of GH. Sad actually.