Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hummerwish

which laundry pair is best?

hummerwish
15 years ago

I plan on purchasing a new laundry set in a few weeks and want a front loading pair. My concern is how well made, fewer repairs, and dependability. I need one with the steam feature. Anyone had any problems with a cetain brand? I am not sure which brand to buy.

Comments (8)

• plumbly22
    15 years ago

wow... brave person... you're opening yourself up for all sorts of information and personal preferences...

my first question is why do you "need" steam??? What is driving that particular requirement in a set?

• hummerwish
    Original Author
    15 years ago

First, my grandmother has a dryer that used steam. Her clothes were always disinfected that way.
    Steam cleans best. I have always preferred it. I even have a steam cleaner for things around the house.

• regus_patoff
    15 years ago

The heat from a dryer without "steam" will disinfected the clothes.

We've had the LG "steam" Washer WM2688 (and LG gas dryer) for about 9 months now, but haven't needed to use the steam function.

It would also depend on where you are installing these.

The best place is on a concrete basement floor.

Any other location with any FL's is prone to vibration depending on the sub-floor structure.

LG service people (and other brands) are few and far between.
    Check to see who will service the machines in your town.

Some brands (not LG) are hard to find parts & service manuals.

LG service manuals

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/index.action

http://www.repairclinic.com/

• plumbly22
    15 years ago

FROM OP Steam cleans best. I have always preferred it. I even have a steam cleaner for things around the house.

FROM REGUS PATOFF The heat from a dryer without "steam" will disinfected the clothes.
    We've had the LG "steam" Washer WM2688 (and LG gas dryer) for about 9 months now, but haven't needed to use the steam function

Back to my original question from the original post... the "need" for steam.... I understand prefering it, I understand what it is supposedly doing for you in the wash/dry machines... but... I'm not convinced it should be a 'driving' or major function in your purchase decision... IIRC there was a thread a few months back on 'do you use your steam feature' and the overwhelming response was like Regus... no...

What is it you are washing and what is it dirty from that is driving your 'need' to disinfect what you wash??? I guess I'm wondering what your 'real' needs vs. 'wants' are in this purchase... there are many models of HE machines out there... many that will solve the majority of wash day issues... that do not have steam... I'm concerned you are narrowing your choices without a good understanding of why you 'need' steam....

to be fair, I'm the person who picked my machine from the final two based on which I liked the looks of better.... if it's because that's what you'd prefer... that's fine... I'm just easily confused!

• hummerwish
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I prefer steam because my son and husband demand wrinkle free clothes! We do have soft water so corrosion is not an issue. I wonder what the best laundry detergent for front loaders are? I only use organic products. How much should you use?

• wildboar
    15 years ago

LG WM0001HTMA washer
    LG DLEX0001TM dryer

Nothing else will suffice if your son and husband are demanding wrinkle free clothes.

• asolo
    15 years ago

Let them choose the machines and do their own damned laundry!

• cynic
    15 years ago

I must be in a different world. My clothes aren't tied in knots when I move them from the washer to the dryer and the clothes come out of the dryer wrinkle-free. And I don't have "steam". Seems like they always have been wrinkle-free as long as I get to them within an hour or two.

You might want to research the "steam" thing a bit. My understanding is that it's not truly steam anyway. More like a fog. But I haven't researched it since I don't care. Sounds like a gimmick of limited use to me. If you "need" it, though, check it out.

There's no one perfect machine for everybody. Nor for detergent. How much and what type of detergent will vary by the water, soil condition, type of machine, detergent, user, and more. You should try a few different brands and determine which is best for your needs.

Another thing, I don't think there's a brand out there that you will find 100% satisfaction or 100% trouble-free.

I would suggest that you read through the various threads on the machine types you're interested in. Should be helpful. There's a lot of threads with a lot of information and ideas. Might give you an idea or two.

Good luck in your search.