Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrmichaeljmoore

Recommendations needed for basic Top Loader washer

mrmichaeljmoore
13 years ago

My mother needs to replace her washing machine.

She doesn't want anything fancy.

She is looking for a basic, reliable/dependable, low-cost top loader.

Preferably, she would like to purchase it from Lowes. They are the closest store to her home. Plus, they offer, free delivery, free setup and 10% off to veterans spouses.

She looked at 2 models:

Whirlpool model# WTW5100VQ $379.00

http://www.lowes.com/pd_300189-46-WTW5100VQ_4294857976+1001_4294937087?productId=1243847&Ns=p_product_price:1&pl=1¤tURL=/pl_$600%2Bor%2Bless_4294857976 1001_4294937087_?rpp=15$Ns=p_product_price:1$Va=25

Roper model# RTW4440VQ $329.00

http://www.lowes.com/pd_300180-46-RTW4440VQ_4294857976+1001_4294937087?productId=1243841&Ns=p_product_price:1&pl=1¤tURL=/pl_$600%2Bor%2Bless_4294857976 1001_4294937087_?rpp=15$Ns=p_product_price:1$Va=25

Does anyone have an opinion on these two models?

Or is there another unit in the price range (at Lowes) that would be a better choice?

Thanks.

mm

Comments (10)

• dadoes
    13 years ago

They are the same mechanical design, basically the same machine with a slight difference in features.

Whirlpool model:
    - white porcelain basket
    - dual-action agitator
    - 2-speed
    - three water levels
    - three temps (hot/warm/cold wash, all with cold rinses)

Roper model:
    - spreckled porcelain basket
    - dual-action agitator
    - 2-speed
    - four water levels
    - four temps (hot/warm/cool/cold wash, all with cold rinses)

• mrmichaeljmoore
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Dadoes --

thanks for the response.
    couple of follow-up questions.....

1. what is the typical lifespan of low-end units like these?

2. I see the major difference is the basket. white porcelain or speckled porcelain. Is one better than the other? Or is it just an aesthetic difference?

thanks again.
    mm

• dadoes
    13 years ago

White porcelain is slightly higher quality, as it's a heavier coating. However, all the materials are of accordingly "lesser robustness" nowadays. When you consider that an upper-middle Whirlpool washer (model LDA7800W2) cost $369 in 1976, and you're looking at machines 34 years later at $379 and $329, something has to give to allow it. :-)

Whirlpool has been producing this direct-drive mechanical design (with a few changes along the way) for over 26 years under the Whirlpool and Kenmore brands. KitchenAid, Roper, Estate, Inglis, and now Maytag, Amana, and Admiral. Some of the model/brand lines were slightly more durable (such as KitchenAid when they carried laundry, with heavier motors, porcelain tops and bronze bearings on the dryers). One or two Maytag models have stainless steel baskets. Otherwise, A = B = C.

• sparky823
    13 years ago

Double check on these two machines about the speeds. They say 2 speed motor. My Aunt got a new Kenmore last year and it is 2 speed BUT the agitate speed is always Fast and the only Slow speed it has is on the Perm Press spin speed. She doesnt like that since she would like to wash her "Church clothes" on a slow agitate speed. This is something your Mother might like to know before purchasing either machine.

DaDoes--Do you know if these machines are set up the same as the Sears? I figure so since they are pretty much identical, but I could be wrong.

• mrmichaeljmoore
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Lowes has this GE unit on sale....link below.
    with her military discount, and Energy Star rebate from the state, final cost would be about $275.00.
    But it seems to have a lot of bad reviews on the Lowes site.

It doesnt have an agitator in the middle...

I told my mom that I would stay away from it, but she wanted me to ask to see if anyone had an opinion on it...

thanks.
    mm

GE Model # WJRE5550KWW
    Lowes Item # 91691

http://www.lowes.com/pd_91691-83-WJRE5550KWW_4294857976_4294937087?productId=3115489&Ns=p_product_price:1&pl=1&currentURL=/pl_Top%2BLoad%2BWashers_4294857976_4294937087_?rpp=30$No=0$Ns=p_product_price:1

Here is a link that might be useful: GE washer @ Lowes

• sparky823
    13 years ago

If I was going to get a GE I would either get an agitator model or go with the Harmony which cost considerably more. If you notice, there is much less negative talk about the Harmony. They seem to wash and hold up well(made by LG).
    The model you are talking about doesn't seem to agitate very well with big loads(I saw a video of one-You Tube). If she does small loads it might be fine for her, plus I'm sure she wouldn't be washing really dirty loads like you have with kids and dirty ground in dirt.

• mrmichaeljmoore
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks sparky....

We are gonna keep looking....

Thanks.
    mm

• mrmichaeljmoore
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I think we may go with the Admiral 3.2 cu ft washer at Home Depot.
    model # ATW4475VQ

Not a bad price....$298, minus the 10% for vets = about $268 bucks.

Seems to get pretty good reviews on the Home Depot site.

Unless anyone pops up and says this is a junk unit and a bad purchase, I think we are gonna buy it this weekend.

Thanks.
    mm

Here is a link that might be useful: Admiral Washer

• sparky823
    13 years ago

Same as the Whirlpool. Will only have one agitate speed-Fast and two spin speeds with the slow spin speed being on the Perma-Press cycle. If she doesnt wash many delicate items this will be fine. It has a Delicate cycle. It still gives fast agitate BUT it pauses in between giving the effect of a Delicate cycle which the Whirlpool does the same thing. They are really the same machine just with a different name. Great Deal on that one.

• dadoes
    13 years ago

Per the wiring diagram I found at Whirlpool's tech site, the Admiral ATW4475VQ is one speed. All agitation and spin is at high speed. Gentle Wash cycle has intermittent agitation (15 seconds agitate, 25 to 40 seconds pause). There are two engineering revisions shown. One has a bi-metal thermostat in the water valve to add cold as needed to control the target temp (which is not stated) when Hot is selected, Warm is a straight mix of hot/cold, Cold is tap-cold. The other has true ATC with targets (on a 4-temp selector) of 105°F for Hot, 78°F for Warm, 62°F for Cool, and tap Cold.