Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
overhear_gw

Country of Origin of Whirlpool Duet washer/dryers

overhear
11 years ago

I am in the market for a stacked pair of front-loaders for my 2nd floor laundry closet. Because I only have about 34" in depth, I am looking at the medium-capacity Whirlpool Duet washers, which are 30 1/2" deep. (The models are WFW9151YW and WFW9351Y.)

I'm seeing lots of references on this forum to the Whirlpool Sport models being made in Mexico, but I don't see any models named "Sport" on the current Whirlpool website.

Does anyone know where the various Whirlpool models are currently being manufactured and assembled?

Comments (11)

• mark40511
    11 years ago

I think that the top of the line series Duets are made in Ohio (but not sure if the parts/components are) or if they are just assembled there or what. I think the lower end Duets are made elsewhere. Some Duets used to be made in Germany, but I learned that plant closed.

• joe_in_philly
    11 years ago

3.5 cu. ft. are made in Mexico

3.8 and 3.9 cu. ft. are made in Germany

4.3 cu. ft. are made in the USA

I don't know where the 2.0 cu. ft. is made.

Here is a link that might be useful: Whirlpool Front Load Washers

• overhear
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks very much Joe. That's good to know.

• drewem
    11 years ago

I currently have Whirlpool Duets and they do shake and vibrate a lot. Going with Electrolux in the new house. Check them out, they have a 2nd floor guarantee.

• overhear
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Drewem, Thanks for your thoughts. Which Electrolux models are you considering? Also, I'm curious: Are your Duets stacked? I'm wondering how that affects vibration.

• drewem
    11 years ago

No they aren't stacked. In the beginning they were quiet, not so much anymore! Sounds like an airport in here when they are in the spin cycle, and shakes the kitchen table! They are downstairs, cannot imagine them upstairs.

Looking at the large Elux- 4.4 cu feet, don't know the color yet, debating between Stainless, Red, or classic White. Model number varies between colors, but ewfls70J, they are on the Electrolux website. I also saw a good review of them in this forum! I like quiet, in a house of loud children.

Other than that I've had no problems with the Duets. Just remember to keep the door open after each cycle, and crack open the soap dispenser, and run the clean wash cycle every so often then you will not have smell or mold issues.

• asolo
    11 years ago

@drewem.....

Suggest you check the weight-bearing of the feet on that washer. The machine has excellent suspension components. I suspect your shaking directly related to their not bearing equally or nearly-equally on their supporting feet. That's what it usually is. Among friends/family/neighbors I've turned quite a few shakers into very smooth machines by tweaking just one of the front feet while spinning under load. I have Duet myself. It is smooth. It wasn't until I made the adjustment seven years ago. Hasn't changed since.

• drewem
    11 years ago

Ok, thanks!

• mark40511
    11 years ago

Joe-

Thanks for that info. I recall reading someone mention that the plant in Germany that built WP FL washer closed. I don't know, maybe it was a dream or something.

• whirlpool_trainee
    11 years ago

No dream - the plant over were did close in January.

Alex

• mark40511
    11 years ago

It did? So then no WP machines are made in Germany now? Or is it just a different plant?