Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hlg222

Stackable W/D Opinions - Whirlpool Duet vs. Miele vs. Bosch??

hlg222
11 years ago

I am in the midst of a basement renovation and need to make a decision on a new W/D within the next week or so. I need to go with a stacked unit for reasons of space, and I prefer the stacked FLs over the laundry centers. I thought I had pretty much decided on the 3.5 cu. ft. capacity Whirlpool Duet, because it gets decent reviews was the shortest when stacked with the dryer - I am only 5'1" and don't really want to have to use a step stool every time I use the dryer. However...last weekend I went out to a kitchen and bath center to select a bunch of other items, and the salesman showed me the Miele and Bosch Axxis stacked W/Ds, which I'd not seen before - the "high end" appliance store I'd visited previously did not carry either of them. I found their smaller size very manageable and appealing, and in researching over the weekend it appears that many people are very happy with them. Both, of course, have a much smaller capacity than the Whirlpool Duet (2.2 cu. ft.), which is just making me a little nervous.

I currently have a Kenmore "Super Capacity Plus" top loader with a 3.2 cu. ft. capacity washer. I usually do large loads, but with newer, more energy efficient, and faster machines I think I'd prefer to do smaller loads, more frequently. So as long as I can fit a load of my queen size sheets in the Bosch or Miele I think I'd be ok with the capacity, but it's just me in the house now, and I'd be interested in feedback from folks with larger families who use the Bosch or Miele as if I go with one of these I would not want to be replacing it as too small after a couple of years.

I guess this is just a long way of saying that I'd love some feedback from anyone who was considering these three brands, what they chose and why, and whether they're happy with it or would have done something differently. Also any other considerations that I perhaps haven't thought of.

A few items that are not factors in the decision - price (I'm aware of the price differences), gas vs. electric dryers (I have gas now, but the W/D are moving as part of the reno, so I could do either), and future service - I live in a major metro area and servicing the less common Miele and Bosch machines will not be a problem.

Thanks!

Comments (4)

• abbycat9990
    11 years ago

We just bought the whirlpool duet washer to replace a 10-yr old Kenmore front loader with bad bearings (got my money's worth on that one-LOL!) We chose it because it is one of very few washers that would fit under the laundry room counter; it's 36" tall. Very happy with it so far.

We are a family of three and, even though we seem to generate a lot of laundry, I often have trouble filling the washer. There is a small load option, so it's not a big issue. The old kenmore was smaller, and I would have preferred to go a tad smaller than the 3.5 cu. ft. whirlpool, but we live in a small town in a rural area and wanted to ensure that local appliance guys could service our washer if necessary. If I were buying a washer for just me, I would get the smaller capacity. 3.5 cu. ft. is BIG! OK, it's handy if you have a pile of towels, but that's it. Good luck.

• sandy1616
    11 years ago

I have 2 Asko sets that are about the size of the Bosch and Miele sets you are looking at. I have a family of 5 and really could have gotten by with one set. I can wash my king size sheets without a problem but they get a balled up in the dryer if I don't split them into two loads.

Before this I had a 3.5 LG FL washer. I can wash as much in the smaller Asko as I could in the LG due to the way they can be loaded. By this I mean that with the LG 3/4 dry clothing was the sweet spot. With the Asko I loosely load to the top. I don't have a comforter on the king size bed but a full size comforter is no problem.

As for faster machines I doubt the Bosch or Miele will be any faster than your previous units.

• drewem
    11 years ago

In 2007 I bought the Whirlpool Duet washer and dryer. I have not had any problems with them, and they are now going on 5 years old. We have 2 boys, and the large capacity is what I like about them. I seem to do laundry a lot during the week!

I don't know about the smaller capacity, I can only speak for the Duet.

Good Luck!

• kateskouros
    11 years ago

i bought the bosch vision 500 series two years ago and i am thrilled with them. they really are great performers. i do four to six loads a week and no issues so far. just clean clothes.