Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nostalgicfarm

Going to try Sears detergent this week -Suggestions?

nostalgicfarm
13 years ago

I am going to try the Sears detergent as it looks like it is on sale right now. Just a few questions from what I have read about it on here:

Is the Free of Dyes and Perfumes the same as the Stain Fighting, just no scent? I have a baby due, and don't need all the extra additives, as long as it cleans just as well for my two preschoolers!

I don't use fabric softeners, so wouldn't be interested in that formula. Does the Oxi detergent get stains out better than the Stain Fighting? But you can't use the Oxi with darks or it will lighten them? Does the Stain Fighting formula lighten colors? I will have 3 children, so anything to reduce costs AND simplify my life is best. I would rather use one detergent than try to keep track of what to use when. I do soak clothes with bad stains in Biz for 1+nights; if you have something that is WAAY better, please let me know that also!

I have a brand new large capacity Samsung front loader that I have been using Costco liquid HE detergent. Do the powders or liquids work better for these machines or does it really matter?

Thanks so much for any and all suggestions.

Comments (8)

• oregpsnow
    13 years ago

3 children - I bet you do a lot of laundry! I would want to keep it simple, too. Better be careful on this forum or the laundrymaniacs will have you using 7 different detegents with 9 additives :) Seriously, I used the Sears Free and Clear powder for about a year and liked it very much. I think the Stain Fighting version may have another additive but it smells bad. I got tired of dealing with my big tub of Sears soap so I recently switched to the new Method pump in Free and Clear and it is better than anything else I have used. It has enzymes in it and also makes a great stain pre-treater.

You will get many different opinions here on whether powders are better then liquids. I don't think it matters much - I have used both in my FL with no problems. IMHO liquids are less messy and take up less space, but I have a small laundry area.

Best of luck with the baby and the laundry!

• mark40511
    13 years ago

I've used the HE Sears stain fighting formula for over 5 years. I think in 5 years I have bought 2 big tubs, but there are only 2 of us. I will say that even the regular is so lightly scented I can barely smell it, after the wash is done, I smell NOTHING but clean fabric. So I imagine their dye/perfume free is awesome. I once ran out briefly and went to Sears and the didn't have it in stock so I bought Tide HE....Talk about heavily scented! It did a good job of cleaning, but the scent was gross I thought. Some like the scent of Tide but I hate it.

• larsi_gw
    13 years ago

In my huge arsenal of laundry products, I have a large box of Sears Ultra Plus with stain fighters he powder. The smell is almost non-exsistent. I personally LOVE a heavily scented detergent, but even though the Sears powder with stain fighters is, IMO, unscented...it works wonderfully!!! You need very little, I use about 1.5 scoops (scoop provided). I think if I used this box exclusively, this detergent would last me a year! I do 3-5 loads a week!. The value cannot be beat!

Currently my 2 favourites are Ariel mit AktivLift and Persil Gold Color Pulver (both from Germany). The smell SO clean and old fashioned. No apple mango tango non-sense or tropical beach blabber!!! ;)

• mara_2008
    13 years ago

The Sears Ultra Plus Stain Fighting detergent is my favorite. I used the Oxi formula, but didn't like it nearly as well. I buy it when it's 1/2 off, and it's a GREAT bargain.

• nostalgicfarm
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Okay, it sounds like the Stain Fighting detergent is more preferred over the free of dyes and perfumes version? Would it still be okay to use on newborn's clothes? I don't really want to buy another box of Dreft or whatever else just for baby's laundry.

• nostalgicfarm
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Okay, it sounds like the Stain Fighting detergent is more preferred over the free of dyes and perfumes version? Would it still be okay to use on newborn's clothes? I don't really want to buy another box of Dreft or whatever else just for baby's laundry.

• mara_2008
    13 years ago

nostalgicfarm, Sears also makes a baby clothes formula, or at least they did the last time I checked out their laundry detergents. I remember seeing it at the Sears website a year or so ago. If you don't see it there now, you could call the nearest store and ask about it. It may be gentler than the Stain Fighting formula -- you could ask about that, too.

One thing is certain: If Sears still sells detergent for baby clothes, it would have to cost a lot less than Dreft.

• bigdogmom48
    13 years ago

Just a personal thing, but I wouldn't want a detergent with strong scents for my baby's clothes. A lot of those scents can aggravate allergies. Another thing I like in a detergent is that it is PH balanced, neither basic nor acidic. Also does it contain any fillers? Does it rinse completely out of the clothes or will there be a residue in the fabrics that will irritate baby's skin?

Sponsored
Old Dominion Kitchen Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
Loudoun County's Kitchen & Bath Design Experts | Best of Houzz 3x