Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nicoletouk

Mystery holes in cotton knits

nicoletouk
17 years ago

My husband and I have been perplexed for over a year with this mystery, and it finally occured to me that the laundry experts at GW might know the answer for us!

We are finding small holes - maybe 1/4" across - on my husband's t-shirts (both underwear-type Ts and clothing-type Ts) and on the cotton lining of my, ahem... unmentionables. It only happens to all-cotton knits that aren't "beefy".

It occured to me that perhaps they were getting snagged in the washer because I do have some chips on the enamel of the wash tub. But wouldn't I be seeing holes and snags on other garments? I'm not.

We did a Google search about cotton-eating insects. Now DH is convinced that we have crickets eating the laundry, but I've assured him we do not have crickets in the basement. Spiders, yes - crickets , no. (We had crickets in the basement of the house I grew up in, and they don't hide for a year. You do see them - or a corpse - eventually.)

Is it a body oil thing? The holes on the Ts are very random, they can be anywhere on the shirt and don't show up in the same spot on every T.

I generally do laundry once a week so things can sit for 5 or 6 days. I have a TL, use All detergent, and only occasionally use bleach if that info means anything.

So what do you say, laundry experts? Any ideas on solving the mystery of the holey cottons?

Nicole

Comments (130)

• Anwithanee
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

No, it's not bad quality shirts or washing machines... it's your belt buckle. When you are at the counter, often your shirt ends up being squished between your belt (that little thingy that pokes throught the holes) and the counter. Over time, the constant pressure in the same spot will end up wearing and making holes. Even if you don't wear a belt, many pants have a button that can create the same problem. The same mysterious occurrence happened with us until we figured this was the cause... always in the same area. Mystery solved.

• vees
    10 years ago

I have holes as described by many above. They are located on the front of my cotton Ts at the exact height of my kitchen counter. I have been theorizing that water from the sink and possibly very small food particles are finding their way to my shirts, even if its not visible, and some kind of bugs are finding them. I was interested in the suggestion here several years ago that there could possibly be bugs in a laundry hamper. I have a wicker hamper that could harbor small insects and they would have some time there to feast. That works except recently I had a new shirt that was never in the hamper and it quickly developed holes. I did leave it on the floor in front of the washer for a few days however. We live in a high rise condo and rarely see insects, though we did have our clothes in storage for awhile where we acquired moths that we haven't gotten rid of.
    The snag theory makes me think twice, but there is really no evidence of snagging or pulling in any of the holes in my shirts. There is a line of grout at the edge of my counter, but it seems like you'd see thread if it were snagging. I could easily cover the grout with something to confirm or disprove that possibility....of course I'll have to go buy new T shirts since all of mine already have at least a few holes.

• jerry12x
    10 years ago

I live in England and have recently moved onto a narrow boat.
    As soon as I did, holes started appearing in my cotton (I think) trousers, only around the bottom of the legs.
    Anything from tiny to a good half inch.
    No other clothes got targeted.
    These trousers I use for work, at night I place them on the sofa and the bottom of the legs hang over the sofa.
    They are near to a multi stove that I burn coal on but I sit there and it does not get ridiculously hot.
    When I wake up in the morning, the holes are there.

It is preferable to waking up next to a horses head but is freaking me out none the less.

I have not washed them in three weeks now due to what has been happening.
    Not worn them in two weeks, but the holes keep appearing.
    Not so much since I haven't been wearing them but it is still happening.
    I know I have a spider on board but nothing else.
    The spider is tiny.

• sreedesq
    10 years ago

My theory, FWIW, is that it is caused by the curled corner on jeans/pants that have a top button. The friction of that curled corner (above button hole) weakens the fabric and causes the holes over time.

• Kate555
    10 years ago

nigel-bigel, Don't know if the cause of my problem is the same as yours but eventually I discovered that my 16yr old washer drain holes were making the small round holes in my lightweight cottons. Maybe it was just age that wore off the porcelain from the inner edges of holes but someone told me that the porcelain or paint wears off of the edges of the drain holes in the tub and the sharpness of the metal edges makes the holes in the spin cycle. That machine recently died and I think I will be getting a machine with stainless basket.

• cdrichter
    9 years ago

This same problem has been driving me crazy for a while now. Yesterday I sat down to sew all my shirts that have holes in them, but there were so many I didn't finish in one sitting.

I finally decided to do a google search and found that many others have the same problem, but I knew it wasn't caused by a belt as I once suspected (because it has happened to shirts I have never worn with a belt) and I never believed it was my shirts getting caught on something because the holes are always around the same shape and size, and mostly in the same location.

Some comments suggested carpet beetles, and a google image search revealed pictures of small bugs and larvae casings that I have seen in my room many times. Well, there it is! 100% positive it is carpet beetles.

I just spent 4 hours moving all my furniture and vacuuming every nook and cranny, and the first place I looked (behind my nightstand/bed) was definitely a popular hiding place as there were many shed skins there.

I will soon dry diatamaceous earth and hopefully I'll stop finding holes in all my clothes. If anyone has any more natural/non-toxic solutions (I will not spray any pesticides inside my house), please share!

• nathanhill007
    9 years ago

I finally pulled the carpet up in our master bedroom closet and replaced it with wood laminate strips. It's been almost a year now and we have not experienced any new holes that I can tell.
    will keep you posted.

• schows
    9 years ago

I have had this shirt hole problem for years, and it led me to this post years ago! I think I've figured out MY cause...the "button" on my Toyota Sienna's driver's seat belt! Apparently, it is rubbing the holes into my shirts. I've started using a seat belt cover over the button, and so far no new holes. This isn't a perfect solution because the seat belt cover slides off every time I get out of the car, so I think I'll try to safety pin it to the seat belt.

• ecf1216
    9 years ago

@Schows... That is so funny! I thought I was the only one! Small little holes in my shirts, all in the same area. I was trying to figure out what on earth was causing them, especially since they in exactly the same place on every shirt, when I noticed that's where my Sienna seat belt comes across. I bought a seat belt cover, and it solved my problem, too.

• BonnBonn
    9 years ago

I have the same problem with thin cotton and rayon shirts. They are made in Indonesia, Jordan, India and the Phillipines. They are good brands like Loren Conrad, Vera Wang, Rock and Republic. I checked the thicker fabric t-shirts and no holes! The holes in my shirts are in really random places, front and back and on the sleeves. They vary in size from pin hole to the size of a quarter. In some of the shirts they are grouped together. They cannot be from excessive wear because of their random locations. If it was laundry detergent it should affect the heavier cotton too.

• ksfinley
    9 years ago

Wish I had seen this long ago. The answer is: your knits are made from defective fabric. Unfortunately, in these "tee shirt" knits, this problem appears far too often, and if one hole appears, others will follow.

• bukkeye
    9 years ago

I read through quite a bit of this, from circa 2008 to 2011, where a member mentioned what I believe to be my cause for holy tees, citing his washing machine. We have a Fisher and Paykel model in which the drum is made of plastic, and its bottom is stamped aluminum. When they assemble it, there is naturally a seam around the bottom of the drum. Many many times when I am removing the wash load to put it in the dryer, something will get stuck into that seam from the washer's high speed spin cycle. Like a thread from an older towel, for example, and it pulls loose from the towel. I then have to dig the thread out of the seam with my fingernail. So I think variances in this seam due to high centrifugal force when spinning allow things, especially thinner fabrics, to get pinched in the seam, and then likely pulled away either by the spinning action itself when it first starts and things still hold a lot of weight from water, or else when I take things out of the washer at the end. Although it is odd that the holes always are only on the stomach area, knowing the washer pinches things, and that tees are the thinnest material in the wash, adds up to make sense to me. We like the washer and its top loading dryer in the set, but Fisher and Paykel should not have used a drum with a seam in it.

• kmcghghy59
    8 years ago

Actually what is happening is that the material that they
    are making the clothes from now days is thinner than it used to be. This is
    starting to be very irritating now that 2 of my favorite shirts have developed
    holes. I have sewed them up but I'm very unhappy with this quality of cotton.
    It's one thing to have cute little light shirts but entirely unacceptable when
    you pay 50.00 for a shirt and it starts falling apart!!!! That is what is
    happening. That's why all your experiments have the same outcome. Not because it's your belly button, jean
    button, seat belt or counter top. This
    is why it doesn't happen as often to your husband or son's clothes, they do not
    wear the thinner shirts. This is why it
    happens to the front of your shirts. NO
    MATTER what you are doing the front of your shirt is more susceptible to being
    touched. And just as an added note. Some people have stated it’s because they don’t
    wash their clothes after every wear and the moths are eating holes in them. I ALWAYS wash my clothes after wearing them,
    I never hang them back up. I wash them and usually because the clothes that are
    affected are thinner, more delicate shirts, I never dry them, because I don't
    want wrinkles and it's less wear and tear on the material.

• Tim Partlow
    8 years ago

Please check this site, I have been plagued with the same thing

https://www.reddit.com/comments/keuij

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

Tim....were discussing tiny holes in clothing not acid eating va-j-j's eating away at underpants....can't believe you posted that. Lmao

• Tuyet Hanh Dang
    8 years ago

Hello All,

I believe the problem is called "pinholes" in cotton fabrics. The pinholes are caused by all of these together:

a) presence of metal (iron or copper)

b) Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2) or what your detergent manufacturer put into your detergent to "bleach" and "make white fabric whiter".

c) pH condition higher than 7 or in the region of 8-13. This is called alkali pH.

The catalytic actions of these metal irons cause abnormal degradation of H2O2 which cause embrittlement of cotton fabric until holes (pinholes) are generated due to the excessive degradation.

Normally a chelating agent is added by the detergent producer to prevent this metal iron to precipitate in alkali medum and cause the problem but some unsuitable chelating agents are not environmental friendly. Why don't you try not to wash cotton shirts together with those garments that have metal accessories? Maybe that would help, provided of course, there are not much metal ions in your water.

• Nassia Kapa
    8 years ago

Dear all,

I have read almost all comments, as I have been experiencing this problem since April 2015. Initially, I had to deal with moths. I treated the problem with moth killers and sprays. I vacuum the closet once a month and renew the moth killers every month, spray every 2/3 weeks. The problem persists. So it cannot be moth. I have been noticing holes on cotton T shirts around the wait line, as almost all of you above. Never faced such a problem before during my living in UK, nor back in Greece. What is different in this house, where I moved a year ago is that I cook, so I do spend a lot of time in the kitchen, so the kitchen bench theory could be possible, however what happened the past few days freaked me out. I took out the closet a Tshit with only one hole on Friday afternoon, many people have seen this one hole on the tshirt, which I bought just 2 months ago! Last night, while eating I noticed 4 new holes closed to the initial one. How can it be the friction between clothes and kitchen bench, since this Tshirt had one hole on Friday afternoon and 5 on Tuesday afternoon? Can this happen so fast?

I also read about silverfish. How is it possible for silverfish to get in the closet? I have no carpet in the house, I vacuum twice a week cause I have an asthmatic sort of allergy to dust, and they say silverfish cannot climb onto surfaces, that is why you see them trapped in the sink. Let's assume silver gets in the closet, is it possible not to see it ever? I have never seen one.

I have also check the laundry bag, as a matter of fact I bought a new on this summer, wooden one with fabric bad inside. I wash clothes every week so they do not stay still in the basket for too long.

Please, any idea, thought would be highly appreciated! thanks!

• lex122
    8 years ago

Silverfish climb on walls, floors and ceilings, the monsters can get into anything.

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

I don't think that's the problem..but it could be even the cleanest people can get these

This thread has disturbed me fo awhile, and I'm inclined to think it has something to do with enzymes finding a protein in that area and munching away.

• Nassia Kapa
    8 years ago

The thing is I have never noticed anything like silverfish in the flat and it is a small one. Does this make sense?

• Tanya Severn
    8 years ago

The holes are coming from constant rubbing on something. Like if the holes always appear in the shirt around the waist it's the metal in the jeans...ect. Friction. I've been having this same problem and that was what it was for me

• Jonathan Walker
    7 years ago

lets see, right at the waist and up near the neck of my cotton t- shirts, a comment here got me thinking, i didn't have this issue, untll they made seat belts mandatory. the lap belt and shoulder belt constantly rubbing at the bottom and neck line of shirts, may be partially responsible.

• reisenoff
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

So here is a new thought that may be a combination of the "counter friction" cause at the waistline, and "pinhole" chemical cause.

I have noted the colored finish on our metal framed mirror above our bathroom sink has worn off in similar small spots- this is from our toothpaste splatter (Colgate Optic White) which contains hydrogen peroxide as a bleaching agent. I'm sure the same splatter gets not only onto the sink counter edge which is likely contacting my shirt, but also directly onto my tee shirts as well just from brushing my teeth. The longer it stays on the fabric and ultimately washed in your favorite detergent, the more likely the fabric will weaken, deteriorate and possibly be subject to the washing machine spin cycle drain hole forces already mentioned. Interesting that my holes are always in front and belly button level!

For those of you who have holes on other locations this theory doesn't hold up.

• PRO
    Renov8or
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Like many, google brought me here b/c we're getting holes in brand new t-shirts, some before they're even worn. The holes are at the waist and in the front.

- I have to discount the washer/dryer theory in my case. Clothes fall at random in the washer, so why would the holes always be at the waist and in the front?

- I have to discount the belt theory in my case b/c I never wear one.

- The jeans zipper or button theory sounds plausible for my case. Though, many of these shirts are worn only to the gym and with flat front lycra pants - nothing to "catch" on. So, not a strong theory in my case.

- Cheap material sounds *very* plausible. Look at what's happening to all textiles in general. Sheets and towels are pathetic. All the great U.S. textile mills like Wamsutta shut down operations after NAFTA passed in the '90s, and I now struggle to find acceptable sheets. Also, I have a favorite pair of jeans from the Gap because they are flattering. But I have to replace them every 4-5 months — the fabric becomes threadbare in the seat, even though I hand wash them and line dry them. I just wait for a sale and replace them. So, I now wear disposable jeans, you might say.

- Someone mentioned manufacturers may use automated machines that stick the t-shirts all in the same spot. That supports the above cheap material theory I believe.

- Carpet beetles sounds very plausible. I have some experience with this and with getting rid of them. Say they are lurking in corners of drawers then coming out to nibble at t-shirts; given the way I fold shirts, waist height would fall to the outside fold that's most easily accessible to them. On the cons side, in my experience, they'd be more likely go for the cashmere sweater that's been folded right next to the t-shirt stack and is untouched. Also, they crave protein, so why would they choose brand new never worn cotton t-shirts over often worn and folded back in the drawer cashmere sweater. Not likely.

I mentioned my prior experience with carpet beetles. We had them years ago — brought home from a beach cottage. After they nearly decimated my sweater drawer, I researched, found photos of them, and was able to identify a live larvae on my favorite cashmere wrap that I use at the beach on cold nights as well as some moth-stage ones that I trapped using a pheromone trap purchased online.

I did finally rid our entire house of them, but now perhaps I need to repeat my much-researched tactics.

*** For those who do see signs of beetles or larvae, here's how I got rid of them: ***

1. I bought a half dozen of those "vacuum" bags — Bed Bath, Home Depot, and Amazon all sell them. The kind that have stood up best over the years are these:

https://jet.com/product/detail/4645afc105c04abfae9f1e9b47f944d4?

Because they stack well and have handles that keep you from puncturing the ziplock bag inside every time you move them or take things out and put things back in.

Yes, it was an expense, but I thought worth it if it saved our clothing.

2. Purchased online "food grade diatomaceous earth". This is an all-natural powder made from centuries old crushed crustaceans. It looks like dust. It's damaging to insects but not harmful to people or pets. (Some naturopaths prescribe patients with digestive issues to eat a teaspoon a day mixed in water). I cleaned out all closets and drawers, especially anywhere the cat wandered, wiped them down with vinegar water and vacuumed every little crevice. Then I sprinkled the diatomaceous earth in all the crevices along moldings and swept it with a hand-broom between the hardwood floor slats. (Bonus: the floors stopped creaking.)

3. Threw out damaged clothing. **tears**

4. Washed or dry cleaned everything that had been recently worn. (I wash cashmere, per Martha Stewart, according to her site.) Winter was just ending, so as clothing dried, I folded it into the vacuum bags. When bags were full I sucked out all the air, stoppered them, and put the bags in storage for the season. I figured this would suffocate any insects, and it did.

There were many many old wool suits that I don't wear anymore since I changed jobs. I didn't feel like laying out money to clean what I may never wear again. So I put those into their own vacuum bag, sucked out the air and put them in storage. (They're still put away, actually.)

When the following winter rolled around, I unpacked the sweaters. Sure enough, there were some dead moths and some tiny dried up bugs, but the sweaters were fine. I put them in the drawers vacated by summer clothing, which I washed and put in vacuum bags to store.

I did this clothing swap season after season — swapping out summer for winter clothes and vice versa. And I'd gone four years without incident. Until these pinholes showed up in my Gap and Old Navy cotton t-shirts.

Either it's time for me to stop shopping at the Gap and Old Navy or it's time to break out the diatomaceous earth again. I'll let you know what I discover.

• 4myhaus
    7 years ago

I truly believe that the fabrics coming from India and China are cheaply woven. Especially those that are woven to look like gauze. Only my tops: Banana Republic, Eileen Fisher, Loft, have gotten these holes in them. (Notice the price range here!) The fabric has just quit. Tiny holes appear. (We have no bugs. I have a front loader and use a 'free' pod and remove these tops from the dryer after about 22 minutes on low to hang up damp--allows reshaping). Another issue: Has anyone noticed how crappy Coats sewing thread is? It constantly catches and knots as you sew with it by hand. Makes me crazy. It is so cheaply made. Bottom line here is to use your consumer power. Keep receipts for any gauzy fabric garments and watch them for holes. We should get 2 years of reliable wear for a garment. Take defective garments back to the store and complain and demand satisfaction. Post also on the store web site. Phone the corporate offices. Get it out there that our hard earned money will not go for cheap garments! I did and got refunds for 2.

• sjerin
    7 years ago

I agree on the cheap clothing model. Ladies' tops, from price range A to Z have become thinner and thinner which gives more profit for the manufacturer; you can bet the people who actually sew these see no rise in their pitiful pay. The holes appear often in our clothes, mine especially. I'm at the sink several times a day doing dishes and I'm sure that's what erodes the fabric. (Yes, I have a tummy.) I have a few tops from 20-30 years ago that are nice and thick (Land's End--how I miss what I used to be able to buy! ) and they are as sturdy as ever. Holes in clothes is one more example of our throw-away, more-profit-at-any-cost society.

• Mary Solis
    7 years ago

silver fish probably...those little suckers came out at night, you don't see them on the day....."Many other insects find fabric tasty as well. Roaches, silverfish and even crickets may chew holes
    through your clothes stored in the closet. These creatures are not so
    much interested in the fabric itself but in something on the fabric,
    such as starch or spilled food.
    Prevent the attraction by not putting items you've worn, unwashed, back
    in the closet. The clothing may look or smell clean to you, but the
    insects may find otherwise"..e-How

• nancyvangreen
    7 years ago

Hey, wait I just bought a cotton JAMES PERSE shirt at Marshall's and washed it before I wore it. I washed by top loading machine with little detergent, hung up to dry and lo and behold there are three holes of pin head size in the front of the shirt. I found them when I put the shirt on.....it has to be the material-my shirt didn't have time to be eaten by carpet beetles. Are the holes there already, it's just we don't see them?

• nicolahol
    6 years ago

Lift hip to gable dgouble

• tntbarbery
    6 years ago

Ya'all are talking about tshirts what about cotton undies. Pretty new ones. It's crz & drives me crz. Yes, I've seen small holes on our t's which is baffling but cotton undies is really baffling.

• glofibbish
    6 years ago

I, too, have been finding a lot of holes in much of my fairly new clothing, which is a blend of cotton and polyester. Recently, one of my cotton/polyester undies just sort of disintegrated and the surface of the fabric came off, leaving just a thin, web-like structure underneath. Very strange. This particular brand is worse about developing holes than others. I also use warm water and dry the garments on low heat. I am thinking that perhaps it is poor-quality fabric from the imported garments. Wish someone would come up with a solution. I am tired of finding little holes in nearly-new clothes. By the way, the holes are in random areas, so that would dispel the "friction" theory.

• mamapinky0
    6 years ago

Maybe chlorine bleach damaging your undies? I'm not sure if you used it I'm just assuming since you used no heat to kill the nastys.

• glofibbish
    6 years ago

Nope. Seldom, if ever, use chlorine bleach and then only on towels (well diluted).

• mamapinky0
    6 years ago

I haven't experienced this problem. But I've wondered if its in relation to washer drums. Another thought is the low quality textiles being manufactured which is what I am leaning towards. Anyway good luck in your search for answers.

• mrsrv
    6 years ago

Low quality fabric, that's it, period. Have you ever looked closely at the knit in fine men's sweaters with italian or american labels? Gently pull at the knit and you'll see that some threads are so micro thin that it won't be long before that spot is a hole.

That's why you'll find brand new quality and luxury knits at thrift stores-tiny holes in the weave.

I find the same with Jockey cotton underwear. some areas the thread is nearly invisible and guess what? it's the hole after the first wash. I doubt generally that people are the cause of the holes due to harsh detergents or rough use. Companies are looking for ways to increase profits and lower quality is a common way to reduce costs.

• glofibbish
    6 years ago

MSRV, I think you're right. I think that it's all about the "almighty dollar" these days.

• Bobbi McDonald
    6 years ago

Try putting cedar wood in your closet. I was told that people gets holes in their close from dust mites. Cedar chases them away. Hope this helps.

• glofibbish
    6 years ago

That may work if you have insects that eat holes in your clothes,s but I don't think that dust mites do. They like to eat the dead scales from your skin (yuck). Here is some info on which insects do eat holes in clothes. https://www.thespruce.com/insects-that-eat-holes-in-clothes-2146424

However, IMO, I think that the fault lies with the quality of fabric these days. I have fairly new undies and clothes that have developed small holes, but none of my old clothes have holes, even ones that are several years old. Go figure. It's the lousy fabric, I believe.

• jennmartin2018
    6 years ago

Hi People, I have this problem and it's carpet beetle. I swear. The holes appear near the belly button because there's some protein from the belly button that rubs onto the t-shirt cotton fabric that the carpet beetles love. I've also had holes appear under the armpit, random ones in the back and in various other places. They seem to love thin cotton, but will also attack cotton blends. Any wool or cashmere that's been soiled (so worn on several occasions), and especially if it's thin, they'll love eating. It's the body oils with the fibres that they love. Also, look for holes in any feather stuffed products. I found tiny holes along the sleeve seams of my Canada Goose. yeah, lucky me.

They are a bitch to get rid of. I've tried chemical sprays, I've dusted diatomaceous earth, and I've tried heat treatment twice and failed. I pack away all my clothing in the ziplock XXL bags. I vacuum every day, and clean like crazy, but carpet beetles can find any nook and cranny and they can live for years without feeding. When you speak to knowledgeable pest control operators (there are many that have no idea about this pest and will just liberally spray your house, which does not work), they will say it's one of the most difficult pests to get rid of. They live anywhere, and even if you don't have carpet, they can live in your furniture or under hardwood (most places I've lived in did not have carpet, only hardwood). If you live in an apartment, it will be very difficult. They move with you and infest your new place. Also, carpet beetles are very hard to locate. They are notorious for living in hard to find places, like under your carpet or baseboard. So, unless you dismantle the construction of your place, you will never know. I only know i have them because I've done so much research and I destroyed my baseboards to find a colony of hundreds underneath my kitchen island. Just because you have never seen carpet beetles does not mean you don't have them. Also, forget glue traps: I've put dozens of them around my house, but for some reason, these larvae know better than to smother their hairs on glue. I almost feel like the smell of glue doesn't interest them.

The only thing that sort of works (because it doesn't get rid of all the carpet beetles) is to periodically put all of my clothes (which is a lot) into the dryer. You can put wool, cashmere, silks, any dry clean materials in a dryer as long as it's not wet prior. This will get rid of bugs on the clothing, but they hide everywhere, so you're not going to get rid of them all.

I would love any comments from anyone that's succeeded in getting rid of all carpet beetles.

• ellishq
    5 years ago
    I’m having the same problem. Our house has been renovated top to bottom, stripped back to bare bones, finished last Sept with new carpets etc etc A few months ago found a couple of small holes in an old t-shirt, exactly as others have described just in the mid/bottom section below belly button. Presumed it was moths and bought some moth balls. Through the winter all the wool and cashmere has been fine. But now it’s summer and I started wearing t-shirts again I have noticed most of them now have these holes too So I had to buy some more Tees and hung them in a different room. They arrived on Thursday. I wore first one on Saturday and by Sunday morning when I went to put it in the wash it had 4 holes in it. The second top I wore first time today and I could almost see the hole appearing as the day went on - by evening it is now a proper hole with others almost showing. I’ve put the 2nd top in the freezer, the first top is ruined. These are not cheap tops!!!! These ones have been on a rail in a dressing room for a matter of hours really (not enclosed in a wardrobe) and it’s only MY cotton t shirts that have holes, nothing on the kids or the husbands stuff. There’s no indication of infestation anywhere apart from these holes - I can freeze/ tumble dry everything but will it get rid of these critters?? Can it be carpet beetles with new carpet? Wouldn’t I see them? We have quite minimalistic style so we’re not an over cluttered house.
  • hcbm
    5 years ago

ellishq- Return the tops, I would bet that it is the fabric. I was shopping today and was looking at Ralph Lauren polo shirts (not cheap) which when I held up to the light I could see spots where the fabric had sections of thread that were either very thin or appeared to be joined as if the thread ran out and they just stuck another at the break and kept weaving. If I bought one and washed it I am sure those areas would open up into tiny holes.

• glofibbish
    5 years ago

I still think that it's the poor quality fabric of which garments are made these days. I have old lingerie that was made years ago and they have no holes. The new pajamas, etc., have holes. The (cotton/polyester blend) fabric is rotten, I think.

• deano009
    5 years ago

It’s a friction point! This happens on mass produced low quality cloths, the friction point could be the belt buckle, buttons on your jeans, counter tops, seatbelts

• salbwil
    5 years ago

I believe it’s where you lean up against your kitchen ounters , most likely at the sink.

• glofibbish
    5 years ago

Like I said before, I think it's the quality of the materials for clothes that are available these days. I doubt that it's insects. I have really old nighties and PJs, which have no holes at all. But, the newer ones, some less than a year old, have developed holes and rips in various places. If not the material, then it is the chemicals with which they are treated. The location of the holes, such as at the waist, is caused by friction, which would not be making holes if the fabric was of good quality. That's my take, and I'm sticking to it.

• HU-654171325
    3 years ago

Ok,, read majority of comments, I get small holes in my sons cotton t shirts, I can say without a doubt its the dryer, I have come to a new place that has rain rain and more rain, cannot line dry as I used to and are forced to use a dryer for everything, now seeing small holes on the chest of my boys shirts,

• Regina Montgomery
    2 years ago

What an interesting thread. I've had these holes appearing in my shirts, which has been costing me money to replace and headaches to deal with. At first, I blamed my desk at work for creating abrasion points. The desk is old (20+ years) and has edges that have degraded. I initially put scotch tape over the rough edges that quickly wore through so thought I had confirmed the source. I then bought 5 foot long plastic corner protectors, so thought I had solved the problem. Not so. The holes persisted in more shirts (both thrifted and new ones). The final straw was when I saw the holes in a nightgown. How is that possible? I am not inclined to do much in my nightgown--other than sleep. I don't see the belly button protein theory as the issue given that I have psoriasis so there would be more than that one spot vulnerable. Then I thought weight gain (blame COVID and aging). I don't wear belts often so can't blame that. Also my jean wearing has been next to nothing since the weight gain and limited access for shopping so no jean snaps in use. The nightgown holes cancel out the seat belt theory for me. That leaves me to consider the washer, detergent, toothpaste splatter, or pill bugs. I have seen pill bugs in the past, but why would they be active only recently and not all these years? Washer is not an option for me as I've seen damage from an old washer and it does not restrict itself to one small area. Same for detergent. So, what's left? Cheaper cotton? But why only in the one spot? It's quite the mystery.

• Christine Temple
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

It's where the yarns are not tied together so that after a few washings they separate. Cheap mills in whatever country they weave the fabrics in. I see it all the time with my JJill tops. They save money by using low quality and we get the bill.

• Nathan Van Doorn
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I have this same issue, but it is always on the mid/lower right on the back of my shirts. I am just baffled. I've lost over a dozen t-shirts so far. I took a new shirt yesterday and checked it for holes before going to work. I slept with that shirt as well, the next morning it had two holes. I've inspected my bed and haven't seen any bug in over a month. I think I just need to do a full purge of the room. My housemates do not share this same issue.

• Janice Brown
    2 years ago

boll wee·vil. Wish I'd seen this post 15 yrs ago, was sometime after I noticed holes in my clothes. I did a bit of digging and discovered this cotton eating bug. I've seen them in my closet, so I immediately knew these were the culprit, at least in my case!

Hope this helps anyone else experiencing this.