Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bellsrus_gw

Cheer HE liquid?

bellsrus
15 years ago

Hi -

I am getting ready to purchase a TL HE washer for our new house. I understand that I need to use a high efficiency laundry soap. My husband has skin issues with many laundry soaps and I would like to stick with the Cheer brand because I know it doesn't bother his skin like other brands do.

Does anyone use the Cheer HE liquid detergent? Does it work well?

Or, does anyone have a family member who is bothered by certain brands of laundry detergent who can recommend an HE brand that is gentle enough for sensitive skin?

Thanks!

Patti

Comments (12)

• happymomof2kids
    15 years ago

I use it. I have used the the 2x Cheer HE and the 2x Cheer Free and Gentle HE. Both worked fine and had no issues. In fact Consumer Reports did a recent test of the 2x concentrated detergents, and the 2x Cheer HE did better than the 2x Tide HE.

• bellsrus
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, happymom!

Are the HE detergents more expensive than regular detergents?

• sparky823
    15 years ago

No. Same price most places I shop. I like the All Free/Clear HE small/mighty. 32load bottle is $3.96 at my Wal/Mart.

• bellsrus
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, Sparky!

• jerrod6
    15 years ago

I think Consumers rated Tide HE with bleach alternative a bit better, but recommended Cheer because it is cheaper and got almost the same result.

Tide contains optical brighteners to make clothes look white - I guess even if they're not. I don't think Cheer contains these - at least it didn't use to, so I think sticking with cheer should work.

• bellsrus
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, jerrod6 - Tide is definitely one of the detergents that I know will bother my husband's skin, so I know I won't be using Tide - good to hear that Cheer will work fine!

Patti

• aamassther
    15 years ago

The other day I was looking at P&G's FAQ section on the website, for which of their detergents did not contain OBA's. As you might guess, Cheer powder and regular liquids did not. But to my surprise, the HE versions of Cheer both contain OBA's. Another surprise was that the regular Tide liquid Free doesn't contain them, but the HE Free version does. I figured that all of Tide many versions contained OBA's, while Cheer did not. HTH, Todd

• sparky823
    15 years ago

Wonder how the Cheer is supposed to "get rid of the dingies" that the commercial talks about with the "Laundress"?

I have used the 2x Tide Free HE and seems like it isn't as good as the old formula was. I just stick with the All most time but sometimes they (W/Mart) are out of the HE All.

• curiousshopper
    15 years ago

Todd, interesting information on Cheer. However I interpreted their FAQ to mean that the Free & Gentle HE contains OBAs but the regular HE liquid does not.

It's not exactly clear.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cheer FAQ

• aamassther
    15 years ago

curiousshopper, I agree, it is ambiguous. On their website, Cheer differentiates between "Original" and HE" formulas. Hence, my interpretation that both HE formulas contain OBA's. My results confirmed that. I'm using Cheer powder in my Bosch now. That's after finishing a bottle of the scented HE liquid. The liquid works quite well, even on my massage linens, but I did notice my colours were fading a little. Which is now reversing as I rewash in the powder.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cheer products page

• jerrod6
    15 years ago

Thats just great. So what are P&G free and gentle detergents actually free of?

• happymomof2kids
    15 years ago

The P & G Free detergents are free of perfumes and dyes. I have long suspected that the blue in most detergents is a mild blueing agent to keep whites that crisp bright bluish white people like while not effecting the colors of other clothes.

My theory is kind of supported by the fact they have to put optical brighteners in the free versions so the consumer would get that same bright white effect.

It would also explain why the free versions have trouble averting dye transer in some situations when tested by CR. One could surmise that the non free detergents must also have an added ingredient to prevent the dye in the detergent from building up on clothing and preventing whites from becoming too blue.

No dye in the free means they do not have to add whatever it is to prevent the blue from building up as there is none.

All theories like I said, but it does make ya think.

Anyway, Cheer HE is still working here with no probs so far.