Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whirlpool_trainee

LG's new flagships

whirlpool_trainee
13 years ago

LG launched a new Front Loader and matching dryer.

{{!gwi}}{{!gwi}}

See washer details and see dryer details. You can already download the user's manual for the washer, if you click on "Support".

And there are (were) even all-new top loaders! Unfortunately, they have disappeared from the LG page - probably because they are still designing a new web page for them. Some details I could google:

Washer model WT5101HV

- WaveForce (TM)

- ColdWash (TM)

- SmartRinse (TM) Jet Spray System

- SlamProof (TM) Lid

- TrueBalance (TM) Anti-Vibration System

- LoDecibel (TM) Quiet Operation

- 5.2 cubic feet

- water heater

- 1100 rpm spin speed

We'll see how much these TLs differ from the GE Harmony - LG's current top loader on the American market. These are the only pictures I could rescue before they were put off-line.

Dryers

Comments (13)

• larsi_gw
    13 years ago

It is just a personal choice, but when I was shopping for washers and dryers a few weeks ago to replace my Miele units, I looked at the top of the line LGs and new Kenmore Elite (made by LG for Kenmore). The Kenmore build quality (and also some of the LGs) was actually amzazing. The solid door hinge and robust materials was a pleasant surprise...but I just HATE the square door on the outside, round on the inside. Maybe I am just old fashioned (but not old!!! :) but I like front loaders to have round door. My Mom has the GE Profile with those "tear drop" shaped doors. She loves them, but I think they are SO ugly (and the materials used are cheap & flimsy on almost every part)! She's just in love with the candy apple red colour!!!

• luvmylg
    13 years ago

"Birds of a feather flock together". LOL I too HATE the square door AND my sister has the tear drop GE's, she is too ashamed to tell me she is having trouble with hers though....her husband keeps me in on the loop. She was one that cant get over HE vs Non-HE and she overdoses, so it may not be the machines fault. I have to older LG flagships with the round doors and thank God the washer and dryer is performing fabolously for 3+ years now.

• larsi_gw
    13 years ago

My Mom's GE Profile units with the tear shaped doors are ,IMO, kinda junky. When she got them about 7 months ago, 3 dryers in a row delivered were defective (screeching high pitch noise, or shaking, or not working at all!!). The 4th one delivered worked. Now her washer is making a very high pitched noise (sounds like when a belt is slipping on a 1970's American car:). Sears has been out 2x, and they cannot "duplicate" the problem or hear it. Seriously...they told her to always have a camcorder on hand and record it happening. Nice!!!

• lee676
    13 years ago

I wish LG would use the large dryer opening (as on the high-end dryers they make for GE) on their own dryers, including the stackable ones with front controls. So what if it doesn't match the shape of the round porthole on the front-load washer? Especially since some LG front-load washers, like the ones pictured above, have square doors anyway.

• villacolonica
    13 years ago

All right, I'm the minority here...I actually like the square doors on the new LGs! I like the round, too. Haven't seen the teardrop ones, but picturing them in my mind, they seem a bit odd. :)

• whirlpool_trainee
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The new dryers seem to be back online.

{{!gwi}}{{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Dryers

• whirlpool_trainee
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The washers are back online.

{{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: LG Top Loader

• lee676
    13 years ago

The new LG top loader leaves me with alot of questions/observations:

- How does it work? It's Energy Star-compliant and high efficiency, but "SmartRinse Jet Spray System" and "WaveForce technology" don't tell me what exactly it's doing to wash clothes - although the description mentions rapid drum movement and powerful water jets". I don't get how the rotating-disc TLers save any water vs. the old agitators, unless it really doesn't need to fill the tub for a full load. I see there's a "water plus" option that may circumvent lower-than-optimum water levels.

"Now using the cold cycle on your washer doesnÂt mean compromising how clean your clothes are" - how many of you believe this?

Soft close lid is nice, as is having a window in it.

Variable speed motor common in FLs but most TLs just have two fixed speeds (or one or three). Good.

1100rpm spin is fastest of any currently available TL washer.

On another thread it says this can heat water to 158°F. But it draws only 10 amps on 120V. Must be dog-slow on the sanitary cycle.

It's huge - IEC 5.2 cu.ft. Also shows capacity the European way - ">10.1kg". I'm not sure how much greater than 10.1 kg it holds, but most of the big FLs are rated at 10kg, and they are rated at more like IEC 4.5 cu.ft. I'm not sure how size and weight correlate.

$1049 for the both the washer and dryer (charcoal or a gas dryer a bit more).

• dadoes
    13 years ago

1100rpm spin is fastest of any currently available TL washer.The Bravos and Cabrio lines each have one or two models that spin at 1100 RPM. For that matter, Fisher & Paykel toploaders, including agitator models, have spun at 1010 RPM for many years (my GWL08 is almost 11 years old).

• lee676
    13 years ago

Oops, haven't been following the TL washer market much recently. Anyway it's nice to see TL spin speeds finally approaching how fast they (sometimes) were in the 1950s....

To my knowledge, the all-time spin speed champs are some current Asko FLs that do 2000rpm - if there's something faster, I'm sure someone here will chime in.

I think the fastest spins are still from separate spin dryers - although their smaller diameter reduces the effective water extraction. These are hard to find in the U.S. though. Sometimes these are combined with a top-load washer without a spin cycle - the user has to move the wet laundry back and forth. I came across this one from Maytag being sold locally (actually looks newer than the seller thinks it is, but I have no idea of its age - Danby sold a similar unit until a couple of year ago.

{{!gwi}}

• whirlpool_trainee
    Original Author
    13 years ago

On another thread it says this can heat water to 158°F. But it draws only 10 amps on 120V. Must be dog-slow on the sanitary cycle.

The GE Harmony also features some sort of sani option. I think it heats the water from cold to 140° with intermittent agitation. IIRC the cycle takes around three hours.

Yes, ASKO and Gorenje are the fastest-spinning washers available at the moment.

• lee676
    13 years ago

Is Gorenje available in the U.S.? I know they made a very nice washer they sold through Danby a few years ago - Home Despot sold them for only $399, yet they were reliable and could heat to 200°F using its 1300w heater, impressive given that it ran on just 120V/15A. Bosch was briefly selling rebranded Gorenje dryers too - at almost twice the price of the similar Danby unit. None of these are sold here anymore though.

The GE does indeed offer heating to 140°. I assume even that would take a long time if you also use the full-tub option, which some here have said works better than the standard low water level setting.

• whirlpool_trainee
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The GE does indeed offer heating to 140°. I assume even that would take a long time if you also use the full-tub option, which some here have said works better than the standard low water level setting.

I the Very Hot setting was only available on certain cycle such as Whites or Underwear - both of which do not use the full-tub option.

Can't find a US site for Gorenje washers.