Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paulgp602

MayTag warranty worth it?

paulgp602
15 years ago

Hi, Maytag has an extended warranty directly from them for $191 for 3 years. Is this worth it for a front loader I just purchased? It is the Epic 9700sq1. Thanks for any info.

Comments (7)

• regus_patoff
    15 years ago

Get 50% off your first SquareTrade warranty for an item bought at a retailer store!

It's now easier than ever, with 3 easy ways to get a quote in minutes:

* Option 1. Email us from your desk!
    For online purchases, forward your receipt to buy@squaretrade.com

* Option 2. Fax us from your office!
    Fax your store receipt to us at (888) 939-9098. Please include your email address.

* Option 3. Call us from the store!
    Call us toll-free at (800) 649-5307. It takes 2 minutes on average!

If you send us your receipt, we will send you a quote for your item, so you can decide if the warranty price is right for you. Your warranty is just 2 clicks away, and you can use your promo code for significant savings!

You'll get the only warranty service consistently rated 5-stars on Amazon.com.

Get a warranty now (Coupon Code: FIFTYOFF)

50% discount offer is valid through 11:59pm PST December 31, 2008 at http://www.squaretrade.com
    Offer is valid for warranties for items purchased from a retailer, and to residents of the U.S. Your requested quote will be delivered promptly during normal business hours. Please see site for full details.

• olympiceagle
    15 years ago

FWIW, Consumer Reports in their February 2008 issue rated "Maytag was the most repair-prone front-loading washer" of washers purchased between 2003 and 2007. Whirlpool, LG, Kenmore, GE, Frigidaire, and Bosch scored between a low of 9% and a high of 12% of their machines repaired. Maytag scored 17%.

Just another piece of info to consider.

• dadoes
    15 years ago

Maytag machines covered by that CR report were very different mechanisms from what's on the market now. The Maytag you buy now IS a Whirlpool. The Epic IS what was the KitchenAid Ensemble, which is a sibling to Whirlpool's Duet and Kenmore's HE3/4/5 frontloader.

• neesie
    15 years ago

I will not be buying any Maytag appliances in the future. In our early married years we had a set that lasted us over twenty years. Then we bought another set (no it wasn't a front loader) and we have had the washing machine repaired two times in three years. The dryer never dries on the first "run through". I am constantly calling down to my son to "twist" the dryer again. It used to dry a load in about 45 minutes. Now it takes an entire afternoon! I asked the Maytage repairman the last time he was here why that was. He said, and I quote, "they just don't make 'em like they used to." Meaning, if they don't break down he don't make money. Also, it has something to do with being energy efficient.

• mayguy
    15 years ago

Get the warranty, no matter what the brands are! I got it on my front loader, ($90 at Home Depot for 4 years), and will give me a piece of mind for the next 5 years if anything go wrong.

You'll be happy with them.. I love that I can dry 9 pairs of jeans in 35 to 40 minutes. (Now hang all my laudry out in the summer to save on gas even more)

• minac
    15 years ago

I don't think they make washer and dryers to last 20 years anymore so for your peace of mind you probably want to get the extended warranty. We had our Maytag - less than 5 years old stop going into spin cycle - though to be honest - the spin cycle was never 100% reliable from early on. We got the 5 year warranty on our Whirlpool washer so hopefully we don't have to budget for repairs or replacing a washer/dryer in the next five years.

• frank_knarf_com
    13 years ago

Note that the Maytag warranty essentially only lasts 1 year now. Year 2-10 only covers the motor & wash basket, and you pay the labor.

See link for yourself, from their own website.

Here is a link that might be useful: Maytag Warranty

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting