Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
studio460_gw

Are Asko 24" washer/dryers' white finish really, "white?"

studio460
10 years ago

I'm considering purchasing the following Asko 24" front-loading washer and dryer units:

Asko W6884 Ultracare-series 24" front-loading washer
Asko T784 Logic-series 24" front-loading dryer

In the adjacent kitchen, we have all-Ikea cabinetry with Abstrakt high-gloss white doors, which are very white. All of our lighting is 6,500ð Kelvin. All other surfaces in the house are painted either pure white or 18% neutral gray, floors are light-gray ceramic, countertops are gray engineered quartz (matte). No warm colors are applied anywhere in the house, so we're of course looking for the purest white in our appliances as well. We're planning for the laundry area in particular to include a lot of white elements (repeating the high-gloss Abstrakt cabinet fronts), as opposed to the kitchen which has a lot of darker, stainless steel appliances (which are getting a bit tiresome). Also, the white motif of the laundry area seems in synchrony with the idea of "clean."

We looked at the compact 24" LG washer/dryers at a local Best Buy retailer today, and saw that all major-appliance brands' "white" were really off-white: LG, Samsung, and Whirlpool are all off-white (warm). Can any owners of any current Asko white appliances comment on the color-purity of the Asko "white?" Thanks!

This post was edited by studio460 on Thu, May 30, 13 at 14:36

Comments (9)

• studio460
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's the installation location--yesterday, after I finished closing up the walls from our previous bathroom remodels, I began to envision a design which would extend the aesthetic cues from our Ikea Abstrakt-clad kitchen (to right--not shown) into the laundry area as well. This will really enhance the continuity and flow of the adjacent kitchen, and the compact washer/dryer units will really help to enlargen the space since their smaller form factor will now accommodate 7.5' linear feet of additional countertop-height surface area.

[Apparently, no one makes a 24" gas dryer, so I'll have to remove some of the cement board I just installed, and wire-up a 240V supply for our planned installation of the Asko T784 electric dryer.]

We're replacing our seven-year old, standard-sized LG machines (below) with new 24" Asko units for a built-in look. Ikea Abstrakt high-gloss white upper and base cabinets will accompany the new lower-profile, and slimmer, washer/dryer units. A white/aluminum-trimmed counter-top will finish off the surface.

Here's our current laundry area in "temporary service-mode:"

This post was edited by studio460 on Fri, May 31, 13 at 14:24

• studio460
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Looks like I've pretty much decided on the Asko units (pending the answer to whether the Askos are actually "white" or not). As soon as I get a chance, I'lll check our local dealer, Pacific Sales, in Torrance, California. The A.J. Madison five-year extended warranty is almost $500 just for the washer. Hopefully Pacific Sales has a less-expensive plan.

This post was edited by studio460 on Thu, May 30, 13 at 6:55

• studio460
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Unfortunately, a quick call to Pacific Sales confirmed my fears--Asko's "white" is more "bisque" than pure white. Oh, well.

• akrogirl
    10 years ago

I loved my old Asko set. Given your situation, have you checked to see see if the Abstrakt doors would work with the W6984FI washer and its matching dryer?

• studio460
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yeah, we were going to bring a doorfront to the store but haven't located a dealer with a white Asko unit in stock.

• fahrenheit_451
    10 years ago

@studio460,

Have someone here or at ASKO use a mobile app, similar to this: Color Capture (They also make one for Android). Then have them email or post the color reference.

• studio460
    Original Author
    10 years ago

f451:

Thanks for the suggestion! However, the specific color temperature of the ambient lighting would have to known (in degrees, Kelvin), and set in-camera for an accurate representation (especially for images of "white" objects).

This post was edited by studio460 on Fri, May 31, 13 at 15:22

• studio460
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Akrogirl said: "Given your situation, have you checked to see see if the Abstrakt doors would work with the W6984FI washer and its matching dryer?"

I didn't realize you were talking about the "titanium" Asko finish. Yes! That's our Plan-B! Going to look at a titanium Asko floor model in Pasadena as soon as we get a chance (unfortunately, they don't have a white one).