Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sewsie_gw

What to include in new laundry room

Sewsie
9 years ago

We will be adding a small laundry room onto our house soon. Besides the obvious washer and dryer, a utility sink, and some counter space for folding, I am thinking about what other things I would like to include in the space. What would be your suggestions for the top five most important or useful other things I should include in the room?

Comments (13)

• gwarstong
    9 years ago

A convenient rack to hang things on.

Convenient easy-access storage for laundry products.

Room enough for inbound and outbound laundry....a place to store the stuff until you choose to deal with it.

• Sewsie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am wondering whether including a freezer in my new laundry room would make sense if I have enough space. Would the dryer heat the room up too much for it?

• MAchanteuse
    9 years ago

I'm getting a new laundry room with our reno and one thing I want is a place to dry things flat. I'm not sure the best way to do it, but I'm hoping.

I read somewhere about putting motion-sensitive lights in a laundry room and I think it's a brilliant idea.

• enduring
    9 years ago

I don't notice heat from the dryer effecting my room.

I would recommend an area for ironing board and iron storage.

Easy access to the washer shutoff valves as well as the dryer vent for cleaning.

Check the machine recommendations for flooring and joist system, if you aren't on concrete. For instance my machine manufacturer states to place the washer against a load bearing wall to minimize vibration.

Air drying racks as mentioned above. Also a place to hang shirts, etc.

• Bosche
    9 years ago

A floor drain.

• plumberry
    9 years ago

â¢Laundry sorter
    â¢Trash can
    â¢Scissors (you never know when you'll need these)
    â¢Sorting/Folding Table + supplies to keep this clean
    â¢Mesh bag for washing delicate items (a definite)
    - rug/mat in front of sink or anti-fatigue mat in working area

• enduring
    9 years ago

Ok, to add to Plumberry's marvelous recommendation for scissors, a mending kit. I have scissors and mending supplies in my laundry room.

• oregpsnow
    9 years ago

Someone to do the laundry for you :) Or at least a radio so you can sing along while you sort and fold. And a stash of Kind Bars in case you need more energy.

• corky1_2008 Harris
    9 years ago

If you have pets you might want to include an area to feed your pets / a place for a litter box / sleeping area / splurge would be a bathing are

• mrspete
    9 years ago

Washer and dryer, preferably on an external wall so the dryer can vent straight to the outside

Ample space for baskets of clothes waiting to be washed -- not piles on the floor

Space for folding laundry - the top of the machines is plenty. I don't let things sit around once they're washed and folded -- they need to go straight to the bedroom for storage.

Shelves for cleaning products, which might include a vacuum, broom, and things for other areas of the house -- the laundry room is a good place to store all these things

A window for natural light
    Automatic or motion-sensored lights

I personally would not include a utility sink. My mom had one, and it was only used to wash the dog. I've never had one and have never wanted one.

I prefer an ironing board to be stored in the master closet. I don't use it often, but if I do iron something, I want to do it immediately before I don the garment. I don't want to do a whole stack of shirts and then let them sit for weeks before they're worn. Mostly I'm a big fan of immediate hanging to negate the need.

• elizabetheva
    9 years ago

"I prefer an ironing board to be stored in the master closet. I don't use it often, but if I do iron something, I want to do it immediately before I don the garment. I don't want to do a whole stack of shirts and then let them sit for weeks before they're worn. Mostly I'm a big fan of immediate hanging to negate the need."

I completely agree with MrsPete! I have a lot of hanging space and I use every inch of it. I have room to hang clothes to dry and I also hang all of my kids' school uniforms to keep them separate from the other clothes until the laundry is done, plus the usual clothes that go on hangers. I would be crazy without hanging space because I'd have to run back and forth after each load to put everything away instead of putting everything away at once.

Also, my preference would be to have a counter with empty space below for laundry hampers and upper cabinet storage or shelving. I would use a place to slide my hampers away a lot more than I really need base cabinet storage. It's frustrating to trip over my kids' hampers when I'm trying to switch clothes from the washer to the dryer, and I have to keep a basket for towels in the hall.

My old house had a utility sink and I used it a lot, but I don't have one now and I don't feel like I'm missing something.

If you find a good solution for drying flat clothes, I would love, love, love to hear it! I remember seeing a tall cabinet unit somewhere with these framed mesh shelves that you could slide in and out to lay clothes on, but it's been ages and I imagine it's out of my price range.

• elleninmaine
    9 years ago

am almost afraid to say that i am planning to include a toilet (behind a wall) in my to-be-renovated/now gutted tiny house. (there is no room on the first floor for a powder room.) plan to have an attractive but deeper sink for hand washing and other cleaning.

have had laundry sinks in all but my current home and today when i had to dump the bucket of dirty water in the kitchen sink, i literally groaned.....and then scrubbed the sink. so i definitely vote for a laundry sink whenever possible. myriad of uses...including washing the dog, mop etc.

• dakota01
    9 years ago

I could never live without my nice deep sink! I do a ton of hand laundry so it's a must. I also use it when watering house plants, soaking stove grates, and other messy jobs.