Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eligain

For those looking for Charlie's Soap!

eligain
15 years ago

For those that use Charlie's Soap, I have discovered that it is repackaged under several different brands such as "Sport-Wash" which is sold in the camping section at Wal-Mart. It is also sold as Penguin Sport Wash which is sold in sporting goods stores and some supermarkets. Other brands that are really Charlie's are Nellie's Washing Soda, Wonder Wash and New Balance Athletic Wear Wash. The easiest to find is Sport-Wash at Wal-Mart. It sells for about $4.27 for 18 ounces. They also sell a larger bottle during hunting season which sells for $5.99 for 34 ounces. If you catch them when the hunting stuff goes on clearance it sells for only $3.99 for 34 oz.!

Comments (16)

• sspye
    15 years ago

...thanks eligain. Even if they are the same product/company. Charlie's soap is still the better deal online, if you buy with the discount (2 products) from their website. (I only did the math for the powdered.) I will watch for the clearance in the hunting aisle.

80 Loads = $13.79 or .17 cents +/- per load
    1280 Loads = $126.33 or .10 cents +/- per load

• cpccarolyn_2008
    15 years ago

How do you know it is the same as Charlie's Soap??

• eligain
    Original Author
    15 years ago

"How do you know it is the same as Charlie's Soap??"

If you compare the ingredients and the wording of the products, you will see they are the same. They all tout the same fact that they rinse residue free even at 4 time the normal dose. They all also tout the same Clemson University tests and they all have the same 1 ounce dose. Also, having used both Charlie's liquid and Sport Wash, they booth smell the same, have the same consistancy, react the same in the washer and clean the same. My clothes smell the same after they are washed in both.

• jerrod6
    15 years ago

What is this smell you are talking about? What fragrance does CS leave and is it strong?

• sspye
    15 years ago

CS leaves no scent and is why it is perfect for hunting clothing.

I asked the same question of Charlie Sutherland a couple of weeks ago. Here is my question and his response.

> My question is about hunting clothes. Does Charlie's rinse scent free
    > or do I still need to use my 'forest floor' liquid for my husband's hunting clothes?

Denise,

I believe you will be very happy with our Charlie's as a hunting detergent..... There are absolutely no scents in it and residue free as well.

Charlie

• eligain
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Charlie's and Sportwash etc. theoretically have no scent but it does leave you clothes with a very clean smell, like they were line dried in the sun! Other "free" detergents like Cheer Free leave your clothes with a kind of petroleum smell.

• cynic
    15 years ago

There was quite a controversy about this about a year ago as I recall. As I recall, the companies involved denied any association even given the coincidental items. Perhaps they're made by the same company but a slightly different formula, which would not be surprising. There's a guy that posts here often selling Charlie's that can comment on it. I'd be interested in his response.

• eligain
    Original Author
    15 years ago

There was a past thread by a lola3816 that said that the guy taking orders over the phone at Charlie's accidently spilled the beans on them making Sport Wash as well. If you have both products and compare how they wash, you will see they are the same. Check out all there websites and their claims. If it looks like a duck and smells like a duck and cleans like a duck, it's Charlie's. ; )

http://www.atsko.com/products/laundry-care/sport-wash-residue-free-detergent.html

http://www.penguinsportwash.com/sport.html

www.wonderwash.net

• garrdav
    15 years ago

I am a avid user of Charlie's Soap. I have tried Sport Wash from the hunting section at Walmart as well as Nellie's Washing Soda and I wouldn't be suprized if they are all the same product because they all clean exactly the same. They all left my clothes smelling the same and cleaned with the same effectiveness. You use the same amount of all products and they all clean with the same amount of low suds. So if they aren't the same product then Charlie's may need to sue!

• Tracey_OH
    15 years ago

I saw the Penguin sports wash at Kroger yesterday and it was $9.99 for a very small bottle. I want to try this stuff, but not at those prices. I'll check out Walmart and see how much it is there.

Tracey

• happymomof2kids
    15 years ago

I had ordered some a little while ago even though I had the Cheer hear and tried some of the Tide liquid, but I couldn't resist after seeing the reviews here.

When I had my reg TL, I was using All free clear as the other ones irritated our skin. Hanging up laundry didn't seem to be a problem with hardness so I thought nothing of it. My clothing came out a little stiff, but not concrete.

I had heard that the FL rinsed better so people with sensitivities could use anything as their was no residue, so I bought leading national brands. We had no reactions, but my line dried clothes have gone from stiff to concrete and I had to start using my drier again.

After trying the Charlies, my clothes are gradually going from concrete back to the state I am use to. Plus, they may get softer still. I like it so much, I don't even want to use up the rest of the Cheer I have here.

I have also tried it on cleaning different things around the house and it is excellent. Definitely worth ordering.

• momof3kids
    15 years ago

Did anyone ever confirm this claim that the Walmart product is the same?-Waiting for my CS to ship- just wondering in case I run out.

• blue_velvet_elvis
    15 years ago

So, it's now hunting season here. Has anyone seen this on the shelves at WM?

• nsaids_nurse420 Kirker
    15 years ago

yep here in ohio it is widely available.

• kitchendetective
    15 years ago

I've not seen it at any Walmart in my area and have looked. Found it under another name at Cabela's, but it was expensive. I like it though. Where is everyone getting theirs? Are you including postage in your price per load?

• Tracey_OH
    15 years ago

I found it at my Walmart (Tennessee)in the hunting section for around $5.00 and have been using it for two weeks. I have a FL and am using a capfull or less per load. So far I've been very impressed with this stuff. It doesn't produce many suds and it rinses well. It also seems to be good at getting out stains, and I have two very active dirty boys :). I add STPP to all my loads, so I can't comment on how well it does on it's own. I will definitely be buying this again.

Tracey

Sponsored
John Romans Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full Service, Turn-Key Construction & Design Company