Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
natschultz_gw

Front Loaders WSJ Discussion Censored

natschultz
13 years ago

It seems that the post titled "front loaders dirty little secret" has been deleted from this forum.

I know it got a bit political, but censorship is just WRONG!

You can search for the topic here, in the laundry forum, but the page itself has been removed.

So, I googled it, and only a partial cache exists.

So, I then googled "Garden Web Censorship" and this appears to be a common problem.

Apparently, there is a "Hot Topics" forum for political discussion. OK, fine: If that is the case, then why doesn't the moderator just transfer the entire thread over to the Hot Topics forum instead of deleting it completely? Most other forums DO transfer misplaced threads to the proper section instead of blindly deleting them altogether. Then again, most other forums have decent search features.

I hate that you cannot even click on your own name to find posts you have responded to in the past - most other forums allow this. Unless you save every single thread you have interest in on Garden Web, good luck finding info you need! This really sucks on the Kitchens Forum, when people reference other people's kitchens, and it is impossible to search for the original post unless you know the exact title it was submitted as in the first place.

Comments (10)

• asolo
    12 years ago

Yup...and check out the spam and other stuff they pay no attention to.

I used to flag 'em but gave up years ago. As nearly as I can tell, they do a sweep a couple times a month.

• sshrivastava
    12 years ago

Gardenweb utilizes some very antiquated technology. We would all benefit if they moved over to something like vBulletin. Threads can easily be moved to different forums/topics. Someone probably complained to the moderators that an actual intelligent conversation was taking place.

I would love someone from Gardenweb to tell us what, exactly, was in the other thread that justified deletion of the entire thread? It was a great discussion that related directly to an article about washing machines. Maybe someone here at Gardenweb felt threatened by the discussion?

• curiousshopper
    12 years ago

I wouldn't read too much into this. Somebody probably saw the word "dirty" and deleted the thread without even reading it.

• User
    12 years ago

While I am not privy to the thinking of the moderators on this site, I suspect the thread was deleted because it had degenerated into comments such as, "these people are weak minded individuals," and "Does your mommy know [you're] on her computer? Stick with Dora the Explorer[. It] seems more your speed," and "Bigger asses need bigger toilets."

Once the adults left the room, what was the point of carrying on the "intelligent" conversation?

• sshrivastava
    12 years ago

@ aliceinwonderlandWhile I am not privy to the thinking of the moderators on this site, I suspect the thread was deleted because it had degenerated into comments such as, "these people are weak minded individuals," and "Does your mommy know [you're] on her computer? Stick with Dora the Explorer[. It] seems more your speed," and "Bigger asses need bigger toilets."I agree that it's too bad people can't handle the truth. Those comments can only be offensive to those who see themselves that way, and nobody else. I mean, how can you not appreciate the simultaneous sarcasm, irony and stinging social satire in my "bigger asses need bigger toilets" comment? There is so much wrapped up in such a little statement, especially when taken in the context of the post it was in response to and the overall topic. But only if you look deeper.

• User
    12 years ago

Good to know that playground humor is now consider stinging social satire. I'll keep that in mind and make every attempt to look deeper into the shallow end of the pool while I interject personal attack into what could otherwise be civil discourse.

• sshrivastava
    12 years ago

@ aliceinwonderland_idGood to know that playground humor is now consider stinging social satire. I'll keep that in mind and make every attempt to look deeper into the shallow end of the pool while I interject personal attack into what could otherwise be civil discourse.Having a sense of humor might also help.

• natschultz
    Original Author
    12 years ago

How odd.
    Apparently, since all these posts made it through, the word "asses" is allowed on GW, but the word B-stard, as in B-stard Hip Roof (2 different pitches) is not!

Actually, that google cache didn't catch the entire thread - the bests parts aren't there - it cuts off on April 18, and the thread was hot until I started this thread on censorship (April 22).

OK, sorry, I guess I have a much tougher skin than many, and snarky comments don't bother me. Kind of like a bead of water on a dryer sheet (at least I assume water beads up on them - they feel really weird and I don't use them).

I just find these kind of rambling threads very funny!

• caryscott
    12 years ago

aliceinwonderland_id

Like you I occasionally get in a bad mood and go a little further in a post than is probably fair (something I'm pretty sure I acknowledged when I called you on something similar). I'm not sorry but I will own it. However I don't think one snide remark should reduce me to a juvenile how about just sporadically cranky and abrasive.