Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vegas_t_gw

Good deal on HE5T???

vegas_t
17 years ago

I found the HE5T at sears and fell in love with the champagne set. It was retailing for 1499. plus you get 10% (I am buying the dryer as well)

Well on my way home I stopped by The Great Indoors the same set is priced 1349.00 for the washer plus 10% off plus 10% rebate and free shipping.

My home is not set to be finished until the fall but I would hate to miss out on this sale. Do you all think it is worth pre purchasing or should I wait and see if another offer comes.

All advice appreciated!!!

Comments (12)

• ready2remodel
    17 years ago

That's funny. Our local Great Indoors (a Sears company, if you didn't know) has 15% off AND a sale going on now. I think we're going to order now and see how long they'll hold onto our appliances for a while. You should verify the 10% vs. 15%, unless they vary by region.

R2R

• vegas_t
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I do know they are affiliated with Sears but they carry the higher end appliances.

If I purchase 3 items I would receive the 15% off plus the 10% rebate and free shipping. 1-2 items is 10% off plus rebate and shipping.
    Not a bad deal considering that we are alreading saving 10% off of Sears starting price.

I asked and they would hold the appliances for 90 days and I could try and call to postpone the shipping even further. Are you going for the pedestals? I am trying tu justify spending an additional 500.00...

• ready2remodel
    17 years ago

You are correct about needing to purchase 3 items to get 15%. After doing more research, we are now leaning towards the Frigidaire Affinity washer/dryer (shorter depth than other models and many other positives from what I am reading) and I don't think Sears/GI carries the Affinity. We are likely going to buy the rest of our appliances @ GI and need to ask them if they can hold them more than 60 days (the length of time the salesman first mentioned to us). By the way, in shopping we have found that salespeople will give us information that is blatantly incorrect (e.g., "That range has a warming drawer" when we know that the model has a storage drawer), so beware when getting info from the sales people!

Good luck!

R2R

• vegas_t
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the warning... I sadly am one of those people that think if you pay more it should work better lol..

I have heard pretty good things about the HE5's and I really like the champagne color. I may purchase a micro or something small to kick in the 15% deal. I would love to have the miele super auto coffee maker but I cant convince my cabinet people to install it for me (cant get the builders okay)

Good luck on your purchase!!!

• crooks101
    16 years ago

I just made a deal at the Great Indoor store today for a new HE5t with free delivery/setup and 0%APR, if I had wanted it, for $1020. I decided to pay with a CC for the CC protections and free 1yr extended warranty.

I thought these were $1400-1500 machines at one time? $1020 seems to me your get a lot of machine for the price. Germany made, refined/tested model over the years, good test reports and several nice unique features in the marketplace.

• georgect
    16 years ago

I've noticed the price of the He5t has been going down.
    When it first came out, the price was $1499.99. Right now they're going for $1229.99 (for the white color).
    I always think when there's a price drop that soon they'll come out with a newer model (He6t).
    This has happened with the He3,He4.
    Maybe we'll get a Water Plus option and an interior light with the next model? That's what I'm waiting for.

I've seen sales for 15% off 2 appliances and 20% of 2 appliance. So waiting does seem to pay off.

Let us know what happens.

• crooks101
    16 years ago

From Las Vegas May 07 tradeshow:

Laundry -- "The Steam Team"

Laundry piles never seem to diminish, reproducing themselves daily. While Kenmore Elite can't change that fact of life, its new "Steam Team" washers and dryers can do a thorough and effective job of making sure clothes come out looking and smelling great by harnessing the power of steam. SteamCare technology maximizes steam's potential to kill bacteria, reduce wrinkles and eliminate odors by integrating this special feature directly into the washing and drying cycles. This new offering is available on Kenmore Elite models including the HE3 and HE5. Kenmore Elite washers and dryers can be fully-integrated with optional LaundryPlus+ work surfaces and storage pedestals, and can even be stacked for tighter laundry quarters. These will be available at Sears in fall 2007.

-- Kenmore Elite HE5t Steam Washer ($1,499.99; Barolo: $1,599.99)
    -- Kenmore Elite HE3t Steam Washer ($1,299.99)
    -- Kenmore Elite HE5 Dryer ($1,299.99 - $1,359.99)
    -- Kenmore Elite HE3 Dryer ($1,099.99 - $1,159.99)

• lizzie315
    16 years ago

I'm not so sure about the HE5t, but I've had the He4T for about 2 1/2 years. I've loved it up until just recently (this past weekend) when it started giving me the dreaded F11 code in the middle of a cleaning cycle and I had to cancel the cycle and start all over again (this cycle is 1 hour 20 minutes long). It's a true pain in the butt and from what I've been reading about all weekend, it's in the He3t models too. Has something to do with an electrical panel. I bought the extended warranty just recently (after I heard all the complaints) and for the 2 year plan it ended up costing me $220. My only recommendation is if you MUST have this Kenmore washer and you are set on buying it, you MUST purchase the extended warranty...and at Sears, they are rather pricey. My personal advise to you is to check out the Bosch or anything else, somewhere other than Sears. Lowes has an extended warranty for 4 years (?) for $99. At Sears you'll pay triple that. I also had a $250 Kenmore dehumifier less than 2 years old break on me just a few months ago. I didn't buy the extended warranty and it cost me $100 to fix it. From what I understand, these panels that are breaking start at $200+++. Do a search on Kenmore recalls, F11 codes...you'll be amazed at what you find. I only wish I found a website like this 3 years ago. Good luck in your search!!!

• crooks101
    16 years ago

Wonder if HE5t still has this F11 code fixed by now? I saw the issues on older model, but HE5t seems clean so far. Figured they sell a ton of these and would have hear some issue by now. But, it may be an age thing only an ext warranty will protect.

Hmmm. Does anything work for at least 7 trouble free years anymore?

• dudleyfuddpucker
    16 years ago

"Hmmm. Does anything work for at least 7 trouble free years anymore?"

Well, my POS $380 Amana TL is running without ever a failure or service call well over 8 years. I was less than impressed at the the time I bought it and was close to selling it for a high-end FL model a short time ago, but then I read about all the FL issues, how soon they go terminal, etc. and I think I'll just keep holding on to it. Especially when people write glowing praise of said FLer because a tissue in the pocket came out whole (happens all the time in the Amana), etc. etc.

Does it really take $1,000+ in FL technology to match what a low-end TL from the '90s can do?

• lizzie315
    16 years ago

As far as the question "does anything run trouble free for 7 years?" I would guess the answer is no. If you have not purchased a service agreement and call about your 2 year old appliance that is now broke (and nothing is cheap these days), they will refer to the fact that they sell extended warranties to cover these problems and you should have purchased one. I've had my washer for about 2 1/2 years with basically no problems (pushed the cancel/pause button probably a million times to many by accident and messed up a cycle, stupid stuff like that). It's just a little annoying when you have a weekend to get a bunch of laundry done (by the way keep in mind that wash cycles in FL are a lot longer...in my machine anywhere from 45 minutes in the normal cycle to 2 hours in the sanitize cycle, doesn't include extra time if you like to prewash)and your machine is giving you an error code when your wash is 15 minutes from being done and then you need to start it all over again. At this point I like my machine more that I dislike my machine...I cannot say that I am in love with it. But they do not make appliances the way they used to. I've just had bad luck with the last 2 out of 3 Kenmore appliances I've purchased and next time I'll try a different place. My mother's dryer is still working and it's 42 years old. Amazing. I just wanted to let you know that there are some problems with the older models and I researched left and right before buying mine and nothing was reported. Good luck with your choice! They wash a ton of clothes!

• dally099
    16 years ago

i went to the brick and bought a whirlpool set, this came after my kenmore washer broke and it took 3 weeks to get service and a whole lot of yelling (on my part) to the service people and they were useless, its a sad day in this house as we buy and flip houses and have allways put new kenmore appliances in them, well no more. i wanted kenmore FL just because i can get black and that would match up with my kitchen stuff, but alas not to be as i wont deal with sears and their customer svc anymore.