Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
saphireny

5.5 year old GE Harmony Washer Screeching, Repairman said Replace

saphire
10 years ago

We purchased our GE Harmony in December 2007 and it has never given us any problems. It has been subjected to heavy duty workouts as we are a family of 7! Suddenly it starts giving this high pitched screech when it starts to spin and then I get an error message.

I called my regular service guy this morning and he said that 95% of the people with GE washers end up getting a new machine! So it is up to me whether I want to most likely waste $50 on the service call. After thinking about it I said no thank you

Figuring I had nothing to lose, I started researching I put the machinet into service mode and it says there may be a problem with the motor. From checking things on the internet this may indicate a Hall Sensor problem or a problem with a bearing that may be out of alignment. The parts for this are about $30 but from what I can tell are at the bottom of the machine so a little tricky to fix.Anyone have experience with this?

Also, I think the manual says that there is still a warranty on the motor, can I just call GE and ask them to send a new motor if that is the problem? Only the part, not the labor is covered but DH is handy. Anyone ever deal with a warranty issue in year 6?!

Thank you

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Maruca Design / Build
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Exceptional Residential Design and Remodeling Services in Fairfax