Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mihi_gw

My recent experience with Foca laundry detergent.

mihi
15 years ago

I recently made a business trip to Houston and while there went to Walmart to see if I could find the HE version of Ariel (Ariel baja espuma). I didn't find it, only the regular Ariel which I already have and which really makes to much suds for my Fisher-Paykel. The F-P needs an HE detergent.

While at Walmart I saw the Foca laundry detergent and picked up the bag (4.4 lbs.) and checked it out. It had a picture of a front-loader in the instructions though on the bag it never said it was an HE detergent.

I've tried it several times now and it doesn't seem to be sudsing-up to much, which is good. I'm using about 1/3 cup of it (this is the powder version). The bag says to use a cup per large load, way to much in my opinion. It gets the cloths clean enough too, but not quite as good as Persil or Charlies Soap I don't think. But its really not a bad detergent at all. And the 4.4 lbs. bag was only $2.84, which is really cheap.

Does anyone know anything about Foca and if it is OK for a machine that requires HE detergent?

Also, does anyone know where I can get Ariel baja espuma, I can't find it on-line (checked MexGrocery) and didn't see it in Texas in all the places I checked.

thanks, Mike

Comments (13)

• mihi
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks dadoes, that is really good information. I think that 3 oz. might be about right for my size loads. I hadn't thought about adding additional detergent after the EcoActive phase, that's not a bad idea at all for certain loads. Also, I think that Foca does a little better when there is a soak cycle included in the washing, what is your thought on this? (maybe its my imagination, I don't know)
    My F-P is a GWL15, the base model with the agitator.

• happymomof2kids
    15 years ago

I tried Foca back when I had my top loader. The version they sell at our local Walmart didn't have a pic of a front loader on it, but it suds like crazy in my top loader with the recommended amount. I advise using caution. You don't want to ruin a good machine just to save a couple of greens on detergent.

• dadoes
    15 years ago

Mihi, I use the Soak option when washing whites as a matter of normal routine. Hot EcoActive (140°F), 3 oz. Foca, 2 oz. oxybooster ... followed by the standard "cold" deep wash with Soak and 1 to 3 oz. more Foca added depending on the load size.

• dualref
    14 years ago

We have been using FOCA for the past several months in our Whirlpool TL machine. We use less than the recommended amount. We used to use Persil, but we found that FOCA removed stains that had been set for a long time, something that Persil couldn't do. While it can suds up, it is easy to rinse out. We use a double rinse on our machine and usually the second rinse is totally clear. FOCA is also good at washing out old detergent residue from your clothing as well.

• rosesark
    13 years ago

I am out of the subject here, but when you say Oxybooster, are you talking about Oxyclean? If not then what is the name or brand of what you use? I have tried Oxyclean, but i didn't notice any difference in the whites. Also, either that, or the Muel team, made a little discoloration on the back of the drum of my top loader, and i know that that should not happen, so am not sure what caused it. Have only used Tide, Purex, Oxyclean or Baking Soda.

• czechchick2
    13 years ago

I love Foca but it suds up in my FL.
    I can't find Ariel baja espuma either but the regular one is all right in my washer.
    What I found out that more water in washer causes more suds.If I use these detergents without water plus, they work. The extra water causing too much splashing and that makes the suds. So less water for washing and couple of extra rinses w/water plus after works good.

• cryptandrus
    13 years ago

I agree with czechchick2: higher wash water levels = more suds in my Miele frontloader, too.

RE: oxygen bleaches  I've found Ecover brand powdered bleach to be the absolute best. It's one of the few brands out there that contains 100% percarbonate.

A lot of the other brands are "watered down" with washing soda, which is a very inexpensive ingredient.

Oxygen bleaches need hot water (and time) to work properly.

There are TAED-activated oxygen bleaches that work without heat... those are what's in Persil, Oxydol, and Biz.

• rosesark
    13 years ago

Thanks cryptandrus, now, where do you get your Ecover? I see Biz here in stores and used to see Oxydol, but never heard of the other.

• cryptandrus
    13 years ago

I buy Ecover powdered bleach from my local food co-op.

I don't know why more stores don't carry it, it's a great product.

Ask at your local natural foods store, they can probably order it for you. Or you could try Amazon.

Or contact Ecover. A link is attached.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ecover Product Locator

• Mae Brown
    3 years ago

I mix the foci with arm& Hammer super washing soda and 20 mule team borax. Love it, doesn't suds too much and cleans exceptionally well. Keeps the rubber rings from smelling on front loads also. Last a long time.

• Amy Thomas
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

In my opinion everyone here is using too much. I've been using it for everything. I put a teaspoon in a gallon and mop floors. It cleans without leaving any streaks. Use microfiber cloths to clean with, and you can clean glass with it. I am not kidding. I washed my truck with it. Seriously. This is the best stuff. Just need a very small amount.

• HU-521146497
    2 years ago

FOCA IS TOXIC. IT IS CHEAP, IT POLLUTES AND IT CONTAINS HARMFUL PRODUCTS BAD FOR YOU . A RESEARCH CAME OUT IN Mexico in 2015 about Foca and the pink soap usually sold just close to it. It contains whitened agents bad for fish and any living creatures,it has impact on skin, can cause allergy, respiratory problems, cancers etc. Look on the EWG site they confirm. Now green does mean safe either, but there are good products outside like GG or others. It means more money, but think of your children, your health and the whole world we all are going to leave to our great children...when we buy we have to be responsible buyers. We can make a better world and these brands should change their formula for us and all living creatures, for a better and safer future. I do not even understand how these brands can still sell harmful products to us...