Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Speed Queen washer question for owners

Posted by jellytoast (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 23, 13 at 21:57

I have a Speed Queen Washer model AWN 542 and have a question for other owners ... does your washer motor sound different when using any of the gentle cycles? My motor is quite a bit louder, kind of like a loud hum, when I use anything other than the regular cycle. My washer is only a few months old, and I called about this when it was brand new. The service tech came out and said it was normal. Is it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Speed Queen washer question for owners

Hi, Jellytoast, Just washed a load on knits and there was a definite hum but I'm guessing it's the slower motor speed.

o

Thank you, beagle!

o

Have you ever had a ceiling fan with a dimmer switch? When the fan is slowed by current drop from dimming the lighting it will hum like that or when running very low speed. Likely a similar result of the load of the wash and current drop to make the motor run slower for gentle wash action.

o

My last washer (Whirlpool) sounded the same on any speed. The difference on the SQ is really noticable.

o

If it sound like the link below...then it's normal.

Here is a link that might be useful: Speed Queen Delicate Cycle

o

Yes, I have a SP 542 and on a slower wash speed the hum is a little louder than at a fast wash...Its all good!

o

Question for all TL SQ owners, can I wash large, Queen size comforters in this? I wash blankets and comforters weekly

Thank you

o

Depends on the thickness of the comforter. If it is not one of those really fluffy ones then I would assume you could. I wash my king size one in mine..its not really thick and it comes out very nice

o

Thank you. It is fluffy but not overly so. A typical down comforter

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here