Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jellytoast

Speed Queen washer question for owners

jellytoast
11 years ago

I have a Speed Queen Washer model AWN 542 and have a question for other owners ... does your washer motor sound different when using any of the gentle cycles? My motor is quite a bit louder, kind of like a loud hum, when I use anything other than the regular cycle. My washer is only a few months old, and I called about this when it was brand new. The service tech came out and said it was normal. Is it?

Comments (9)

• beaglenc
    11 years ago

Hi, Jellytoast, Just washed a load on knits and there was a definite hum but I'm guessing it's the slower motor speed.

• jellytoast
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you, beagle!

• fordtech
    11 years ago

Have you ever had a ceiling fan with a dimmer switch? When the fan is slowed by current drop from dimming the lighting it will hum like that or when running very low speed. Likely a similar result of the load of the wash and current drop to make the motor run slower for gentle wash action.

• jellytoast
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My last washer (Whirlpool) sounded the same on any speed. The difference on the SQ is really noticable.

• georgect
    11 years ago

If it sound like the link below...then it's normal.

Here is a link that might be useful: Speed Queen Delicate Cycle

• gates1
    10 years ago

Yes, I have a SP 542 and on a slower wash speed the hum is a little louder than at a fast wash...Its all good!

• saphire
    10 years ago

Question for all TL SQ owners, can I wash large, Queen size comforters in this? I wash blankets and comforters weekly

Thank you

• gates1
    10 years ago

Depends on the thickness of the comforter. If it is not one of those really fluffy ones then I would assume you could. I wash my king size one in mine..its not really thick and it comes out very nice

• saphire
    10 years ago

Thank you. It is fluffy but not overly so. A typical down comforter