Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
livebetter

Charlie's Soap and Butyl cellosolv

livebetter
13 years ago

I stumbled on this post and found it VERY interesting.

I had read about butyl cellosolv a few years ago in some Shaklee information. It sounds like an ingredient you want to avoid.

I found this information on-line for reference:

"Butyl Cellosolve is a chemical that is found in a wide variety of household cleaning agents - glass cleaners, oven cleaners, general degreasers, spot removers, air fresheners, and carpet cleaners, among other things. It is a colorless liquid with a sweet, ether-like odour and is manufactured by the Eastman Kodak company. But why should you look out for it?

It is also known as butyl glycol, Dowanol, and ethylene glycol monobutyl ether (EGBE), which has made it on to the list of CaliforniaâÂÂs toxic air substances, and some animal studies indicate that it produces reproductive problems, such as testicular damage, reduced fertility, death of embryos and birth defects. In humans, it can irritate mucous membranes and cause liver and kidney damage. Butyl cellosolve is also a neurotoxin that can depress the nervous system and cause a variety of associated problems. Sounds like something we should be using around our house, no?

So let this serve as yet another example of a dangerous toxic chemical that is prevalent on our grocery store shelves. Before you buy a cleaning product, be sure to read the label and look for this ingredient under one of its âÂÂpseudonymsâ above. Ideally, you want to avoid toxic cleaners at all, but if you cannot, be cautious when using anything with this ingredient in it!"

Here is a link that might be useful: Charlie's Soap and Butylcelosolv

Comments (2)

• sshrivastava
    13 years ago

This is taken directly from the MSDS:"At 4%, Charlie's Soap All-Purpose Cleaner does not possess the occupational health risk associated with exposure to undiluted 2-butoxyethanol. Charlie's Soap All-Purpose Cleaner contains no known EPA priority pollutants, heavy metals, or chemicals listed under RCRA, CERCLA, or CWA. None of the ingredients in Charlie's Soap All-Purpose Cleaner are regulated or listed as potential cancer agents by Federal OSHA, NTP, or IARC."In CS' defense, we must remember that anything - even carrot juice - can be toxic in high doses. Take enough salt all at once and you'll die, but a little bit over a lifetime is not toxic. It is also important to point out that 2-butoxyethanol (the ingredient in question) is in Charlie's Soap all purpose cleaner, but not in any of the detergent products. In the thread linked in the previous post, many people are confusing the all purpose cleaner with the laundry detergent.

I find CS to be an ethical, honest company. Any and all questions I've had regarding their products have been answered promptly and courteously. CS stands behind their products and will refund your money if you are not satisfied. I think some people on that blog were all too quick to pass judgment and declare the people at CS as liars, etc. While I'm not a fan of CS laundry detergent, I am a big fan of the company's customer service and product philosophy.

After reading the posts in the that blog, I'm shocked at what many of those folks use to clean their clothes. Soap nuts? Really? You're going to use something that falls off a tree to clean your laundry and trust it to keep your machine free of mold and mildew? At least one person on that blog uses nothing but vinegar and borax to clean her clothes. Someone who does that has no basic understanding of chemistry or what keeps your clothes clean.

I am all for natural and green, but washing your clothes in vinegar and borax is like washing your clothes in plain water. I don't even want to know what their machines look and smell like.

• livebetter
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I believe it's also in their new kitchen/bath cleaner (although not 100%). I wasn't sure if it might be in their laundry pretreater - I couldn't locate the ingredient listing or MSDS.

I would disagree with you on the carrot juice comment. I do agree that things still need to get clean. I am, personally, only willing to go so far in the name of indoor air quality for my family and the effects of the products I use on the environment. I have not tried nor intend to try a "soap nut" (lol).

But I'm pretty sure carrot juice is not toxic to forming cells, neurotoxic, toxic to kidney and liver and butyl cellosolve is. It is listed in the U.S. state of California as a hazardous substance (I'm also fairly confident carrot juice is not on that list).

I am taking an "aliceinwonderland_id" stand on butyl cellosolve though. While I do not know much about the ingredient he/she says is bad for us (MI preservative), I do not something about butyl cellosolve.

It is definitely an ingredient you want to avoid. I haven't used Windex or any heavy duty bathroom cleaners or degreasers in several years. Now when I smell them - overwhelming. Windex can just about bowl me over.

I have found wonderful (hopefully) safer alternatives and my home is very clean (I'm OCD).

Just as an FYI (I bought more today so top of mind) this product is amazing ... kid you not ... cleans everything beautifully and very safe. I ran into a lady buying tons today who runs a cleaning company and says they use it as their primary cleaning product. Stainless steel looks brand new with this and granite counters sparkle (no water marks). And fancy that ... made in Germany. I should post this in the cleaning forum. I digress ...

Considering butyl cellosolve is in tons of cleaners you could be exposed to quite a bit cumulatively.

I also thought it was interesting Charlie's home page of their website states all purpose cleaner and right below ... safe for babies. I question that.

Everyone is entitled to make their own purchasing decisions. I'm happier when they are informed decisions. I, for one, will not be purchasing any product with butyl cellosolve (if I can help it). I will buy carrot juice though ... ok ... I make my own ;)

Here is a link that might be useful: Universal Stone