Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Appliance Surge Protectors

Posted by richard_f (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 23, 13 at 19:44

Several years ago we had a new GE Profile refrigerator that stopped cooling, so we called GE and scheduled a service call. When the repair person arrived he checked it out and told us the main control board was dead and that they'd replace it since it was under warranty. I asked him if there was anything that might have caused the failure he told me that it was almost certainly a power surge.

So I asked him why he was so sure and he told me that mine was the third dead appliance control board he'd seen on my street in the last 24 hours, which means that our local utility had had an issue causing a surge, probably due to work they were doing in the area. So for all of us who have expensive laundry appliances with electronic control systems, an appliance surge protector is cheap insurance.

I like this one because it has a high joule rating, will continue to pass power to the appliance after a surge (very important for a refrigerator or freezer) and has an indicator light that tells you when it's ability to protect the appliance is exhausted and the unit should be replaced, but I'm sure there are other good ones out there.

It's an RCA PSAPP1R Appliance Surge Protector for people who want to google it instead of using the link to amazon below.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004AM5Z5O/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Appliance Surge Protectors

Here is another good one to check out...

http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-ISOBLOK2-0-2-Outlet-Protector/dp/B0000510R4/ref=pd_sim_e_1

o

I much prefer and have installed these in our residence where needed (one place being our refrigerator): Leviton Type 3 - Surge Protective Receptacles

You will need to review the specs needed for your requirements, but these are the least intrusive and are available in industrial, commercial, and hospital grade.

This post was edited by fahrenheit_451 on Wed, Apr 24, 13 at 13:44

o

Georgect- I ordered one of the Tripp Lites and it's a very nice unit. One drawback to the RCA is that it covers both outlets, which means that if you want to plug a vacuum cleaner in occasionally you either have to remove the RCA or plug the vac into the side of the unit, which is cumbersome. The Tripp Lite can be plugged into the bottom outlet, leaving the top one free for transient uses. It's also nicely made - I like the metal case.

o

We use a Tripp-Lite on our GE Profile refrigerator after hearing that these units are sensitive to electrical surges with the main control boards. We have had our refrigerator almost two years now with no problems at all.

o

Great to hear Richard_f.

o

We installed a whole house surge suppressor in our circuit breaker box. It took the electrician about 5 minutes and the cost was minimal compared to repairs.

This post was edited by kris_zone6 on Sat, May 11, 13 at 13:33

o

Kris (kris _zone6).

I have installed a whole house surge suppressor (like the one shown below) also when I updated the electrical service panel to 200 amps.

These only help stop catastrophic surges like lightning or power line damage coming into the home.

They do not protect with internal electrical spikes, for instance when A/C or refrigerator or the like motors kick on and off.

You should still protect sensitive items like computers, TV's and appliances with sensitive electronics inside with a good surge suppressor.

o

We still have individual surge protectors in addition to the whole house surge protector,

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here