Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
waterloo_red

Help! About to order Miele 9822 and need to know installed depth!

waterloo-red
13 years ago

Please help us!

Can a fine and honorable Gardenweb member measure from the front of their machines to the back trim and let me know what they come up with?

I am getting what I think is a great deal (at least in Canada) on a W4842 and T9822 but I need to know the absolute minimum depth that is needed to install the machines.

For the next year or so we are puting them in our upstairs laundry closet that is 34-1/8" deep. The machines are 30" but a 4" vent is needed to run behind the machines and with the vent elbow sweep I think we may be screwed!

Thanks

W-R

Comments (18)

• fahrenheit_451
    13 years ago

We have a T 9820 and 36" is what we have from the front of the convex portal glass to wall. Also, the T 9822 added more ways to vent that include both the left and right side.

• waterloo-red
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the quick reply. Any chance that if you wanted you could shove it back 2"?

Your measurement was to the baseboard?

I have 35-1/8 to the wall but the baseboard is 1".

W-R

• fahrenheit_451
    13 years ago

How high is your baseboard, and can it be removed? The dryer is off the ground by approximately one inch (because the of the leveling feet and the fact that the dryer draws its intake air from the bottom) plus the exhaust outlet is about another inch higher, so about two inches off the ground for the ducting horizon. The 30" listed in Miele's diagram is to the stamped metal drum bulge, but the actual hose outlet is about and inch inward of the bulge giving you more room. If you were to use the flexible aluminum ducting you can most likely can accomplish what you are setting out to doÃprovided that your walls are square, and your flooring is level.

• waterloo-red
    Original Author
    13 years ago

That helps a lot. I think it will go (with baseboard removed).

Now, to hijack my own thread, does anyone know the difference between the t9820 and the t9822? In Canada they currently only have the 9820 available. All I can see is the side vent options and maybe the wifi capability. Anyone?

Thanks,

W-R

• fahrenheit_451
    13 years ago

You've hit on the main difference. Of course, all the ancillary revisions that improved the T 9820 are incorporated into the T 9822 (fan, drum gasket, lint screen, and firmware). WiFi capability was introduced with the T 98XX series so you can purchase the module if you want for the T 9820 model.

• waterloo-red
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sorry, to be absolutely clear on my end, did you mean to say the "revisions that improved the 9820 are incorporated into the 9822"? As in the improvements you listed are already in the old model 9820?

I really hope this is my last question.

Thanks again,

W-R

• fahrenheit_451
    13 years ago

As in the improvements you listed are already in the old model 9820?It depends on when the model you receive was manufactured.

• waterloo-red
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Geeze, what's an anal retentive, over analyzing consumer to do?

I hate this.

• fahrenheit_451
    13 years ago

You can rely on the Miele warranty, and extend it if you are worried, but I would wait for the T 9822 (but that's me).

• fahrenheit_451
    13 years ago

waterloo-red,

Thread got a bit confusing. The T 9822 has all the improvements that were made to the T 9820 model as part of the newer model. The betterment is the ability to have the exhaust vent on the left and right side too. You are buying the latest model with the T 9822.

• waterloo-red
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Farenheit,

thank you for all your help and advice. In the end I decided to cancel
    my order. What pushed me over was Miele's own slogans "Immer Besser" and "anything else is a compromise". They strived to improve the product with the 9822 but I would be compromising by going with the 9820. They, through their own poor inventory planning, have over a years worth of inventory on the 9820 so they are forcing Canadian consumers to compromise.

W-R

amazing how I can get so annoyed by a company over a dryer.

• somonica
    13 years ago

waterloo-red...

you must got that letter form Miele about the $500 discount and 10 years warranty for the W48xx / T98xx pairs....

After you get your machines installed, all you need to do is to call Miele and get their tech out... your friendly Miele tech will just happily to replace all those parts for you with the most update version of them...

No body ask you to "compromise" anything because you DO get big discount for this product!

• waterloo-red
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Isn't that the definition of compromise? I am settling for a "lesser" machine in order to get a 10 year warranty?

I talked to a Miele rep and they said they couldn't update the parts for me.

W-R

• somonica
    13 years ago

waterloo-red...

what you need to do is not ask for the update parts...

you tell the call center you've some kind of issue, and the Miele tech will get you the update parts to fix the issue...

my local Miele tech always get me update parts while fixing other issue I had...

• not_fornow_com
    13 years ago

Interesting, you probably want to wait for the 9822. My 9820 stopped working, months after the software update was done. All of the lights started flashing and the dryer would not start any programs.

I call Miele for support and without any conversation, they are replacing my dryer with a 9822. They are shipping the dryer, installing it, and continuing my warranty on the new dryer. I would say, they are standing behind their product.

• livebetter
    13 years ago

I am in Canada too.

I was told by Miele Canada that the T9822 would be in Canada late December 2010 or January 2011. I am waiting for this unit as it is the only one that works with my venting set up.

How did you get the offer from Miele? I have been waiting for an incentive to buy from them and nothing for December and it looks like nothing for January?

Thanks!

• waterloo-red
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I started reading this thread with great interest and then I realized that Waterloo-Red is me! Feeling a little slow this afternoon.

The offer from Miele came in the mail in early 2010. I assume because we had bought a Miele dishwasher a little over a year prior.

We passed at the time but started looking again because our 10 yr old Kenmore was sounding like a jet engine when spinning (seems the drum spider/bearing like to fail every 5 years).

As you said, December and now January have gone by without incentives so I was forced to once again fix my washer.

Hopefully Miele will come out with the "free" 10 yr warranty soon. If I recall correctly that offer seems to come out once a year (it has for the past two years).

W-R

• livebetter
    13 years ago

W-R, I'm still laughing ... I too did not notice this thread started last year. I thought it was recent. I guess we'll both be waiting it out ... :)