Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
larsi_gw

Ok, I pretty much hate my new The Laundress products

larsi_gw
12 years ago

I was pretty sure yesterday that I did not think The Laundress products were so great (the Classic scent in the bottle is so great though). After trying again today, I know they are total sh*t! Once items are dried, they do not smell clean at all (and are not very soft).

Even my spouse asked yesterday why we don't have clean sheets (Wednesday is usually clean sheets day). They were washed with The Laundress Classic detergent and softener!! Nothing smells clean after washing and drying! What a waste of like $35.00!

Also, I did a load of cottons today. Mainly darks and work out t-shirts and shorts. Seriously, after drying...the clothes did not even smell laundered. I had to re-wash.

SO...I really like and highly recommend:

Persil Color Gel

Vaska Herbatergent

Clorox Green Works

Mrs. Meyer's Geranium

Seventh Generation 4x

Avoid The Laundress. In my opionion the brand is nothing more than pretty packaging, clever marketing and hype. So disappointed!!!

Comments (50)

• livebetter
    12 years ago

That's funny. For the most part it gets good reviews.

I only have the wool & cashmere one and it is great. It gets really good reviews (9 reviews on Amazon a perfect 5/5).

Lovely cedar scent and leaves wool soft and clean.

I thought the others were WAY too perfumey for me so I've never tried them.

They even make some items for J Crew.

This is the background of the founders of The Laundress. You would think these two might know something about fabric care.

Lindsey Wieber Boyd and Gwen Whiting, co-founders of The Laundress
    Lindsey and Gwen were both educated in Fiber Science, Textile and Apparel Management and Design at Cornell University. Their extensive professional experience in retail management and product development in the luxury-brand business merged with their educational backgrounds has created a unique knowledge and passion in fine fabrics and garment care.

Here is a link that might be useful: J. Crew - The Laundress

• larsi_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

livebetter...

Ford, GM, BMW, Volvo, etc, etc know a thing or two about building great cars...but they have made disasters in the past!

Kraft and Nestle know a thing or two about making tasty foods, but they have had their share of disasters as well...

I think The Laundress is just really slick (NYC) advertising and marketing. With or without J.Crew...the items I got suck!! Maybe using some of their specialties for Cashmere or silk is fine, but their "basic" detergents left my close feeling worse than Sun detergent from the Dollar Tree Store!!! :)

• westvillager
    12 years ago

I'm surprised to see another laundress non lover. I junked mine for the exact same reasons. A few peeps I know, who have to deal with textiles, swear by their gentle washes. I keep seeing their stuff in local shops (Village Apothecary) here in NYC that I usually love. Maybe it's the fabric or washing method b/c the everyday stuff from the machine approached uncomfortable. Blech.

I'm not often persuaded by Amazon's reviews either; too mass and some complain about packaging rather than product. When I was a publicist we placed a lot of stories that were about building personal or corporate brand equity. It's my own fault but I'm jaded about marketing, lol.

• livebetter
    12 years ago

westvillager, I worked in advertising in the "prestige" fragrance industry for more than 10 years. I know all about "fluff" ... lol.

I do like the cashmere and wool wash. I was told by a local "upscale" shop that it's the best selling item from The Laundress. Maybe it's the one that works the best ... who knows.

• sshrivastava
    12 years ago

I am officially done with these pricey "boutique" brands that do nothing. Look at Consumer Reports review of Martha Stewart's laundry detergent... they said it's just as effective as water! I've tried Le Blanc, another boutique brand, and it doesn't live up to a fraction of what is said about the product. In fact, I wrote to the manufacturer about the strong perfume scent and they basically said that nobody else is complaining so too bad.

These companies just want your money and will say anything to get it. Stay away from these "luxury" detergents - they don't work. Say what you will about P&G and other "mainstream" manufacturers, but at least they put their resources into formulations and research. How much research and product testing do companies like The Laundress, Le Blanc, and other similar companies do?

Products which I've tried and dislike:

• Charlie's Soap - doesn't clean
    • All Small & Mighty - too many suds
    • Everything Le Blanc and L'Amour - strong perfume scent and doesn't clean
    • Country Save - doesn't clean
    • Method Squeaky Green - too many suds
    • Persil Universal Powder - not concentrated and must use ridiculous amounts
    • EcoVantage - cleans OK but "eco" claims are suspect

Products which I've tried and like:

• Persil Megaperls
    • Vaska Herbatergent - my current fave
    • Tide HE Liquid w/ Bleach
    • Bi-O-Kleen Premium Powder
    • LanoSoft
    • Clorox Green Works
  • larsi_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I agree 100% with Sstava! Designer/boutique detergents are just a bunch of hyped up fragrances and claims of greatness, and almost always yield crappy results.

I love, love, love Persil Color Gel, Vaska Herbatergent and Clorox Greenworks.

I really like Seventh Generation 4x and Method Peony Blossom.

I have been Downy free now for 2 complete wash cycles...and so far, so good. I really, really like Mrs. Meyer's Geranium Softener and Ecover Sunny Day softener. Both soften as well as (or close to) Downy. And NO animal fat!!! :)

• livebetter
    12 years ago

Larsi, meant to ask ... how do you like Mrs. Meyer's detergent?

• larsi_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

livebetter,

I think the Mrs. Meyer's Geranium detergent is very good actually. No obas and it has enzymes! Of course using it with the Geranium Softener leaves my clothes fragranced with a spicy Geranium/Rose scent that is really soft, yet there & I LOVE it! I tried it with a load of my 4 years old's preschool clothes (ketcup, paint, grass, dirt, pudding, cheetos, juice, markers....). The clothes were stain free, soft and fluffy!! I was surprised actually!

• sshrivastava
    12 years ago

@livebetter... I think there are brands out there like Le Blanc/L'Amour, the Laundress and others who are specifically trying to capitalize on this notion of a "boutique" detergent without really having a superior product. Seventh Generation, Bi-O-Kleen, Method, etc. are all brands that not only have a statement to make, but they also work. The same can't be said for some of these other brands that I feel are trying to cash-in on the high priced detergent bandwagon.

I can make my own detergent using readily available products, call it the best thing since sliced bread, put it in a fancy bottle or slap a trendy label on it, and charge ridiculous amounts for it without delivering any performance at all. Oh wait, Martha Stewart already did that.

As far as Vaska is concerned, I don't consider it a boutique detergent and here's why. It's most recently been available at Albertson's, Target and Sam's Club. It's also not priced in the stratosphere like some of these other brands. A 52-load bottle of Tide HE Liquid w/ Bleach Alternative costs $13.64 after discount at SOAP.COM. That's 26 cents per load. A 64-load bottle of Vaska Herbatergent costs $13.48 after discount at SOAP.COM. That's 21 cents per load. Vaska is cheaper than Tide, and as such does not meet my basic criteria for a "boutique" detergent - high price.

• livebetter
    12 years ago

Wow, you have serious laundry challenges :)

I think Mrs. Meyer's works well too. I just don't love the lavender version. I'm tempted to try the geranium. Maybe I'll start with the FS and use it with unscented detergent.

FWIW, Mrs. Meyer's was also a small "boutique" brand once. Started by Monica Nassif (who started Caldrea first and then introducted Mrs. Meyer's). Mrs. Meyer's is named after her mother (who raised 9 kids!).

"MRS. MEYER'S CLEAN DAY household products were inspired by Mrs. Thelma A. Meyer, an Iowa homemaker and mother of nine. It all started when one of her daughters (Monica Nassif) was walking down a cleaning aisle, eyeing all the products with their harsh, stinky chemicals. Right then and there, she had an idea: "Let's make cleaners that smell nice, like a garden, but still work like the dickens on daily dirt and grime." She named the product line after her very practical mom and the common sense values she passed along to her kids."

Another interesting "boutique" brand is the Good Home Co. The founder, Christine Dimmick was only 25 when she started the Good Home Co. in the kitchen of her New York City apartment in 1995. Today (2004) the company's 25 products are sold in high-end hardware stores and specialty shops like Restoration Hardware and Gracious Home, and its annual sales exceed $4 million.

You can read about her and Monica Nassif in this article from Time, "The Smell of Clean".

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,993833-1,00.html#ixzz1J95Wn5ZR

Here is a link that might be useful: Mrs. Meyers - Meet Thelma

• livebetter
    12 years ago

sshrivastava, I was just pointing out the fact that all the brands that are not part of the big boys (P&G, Henkel, etc) started out small.

Vaska didn't start out with distribution in these large chains. They had to work themselves up there. Her pricing is (I'm sure) part of their "stategy". Her earliest distribution was as a diaper wash so high cost would have been an issue (I think).

Same with Method. "it's hard to believe that 10 years ago, this week, two guys walked into a grocery store and sold the first bottle of method, launching our little revolution into the world." (see link)

They didn't start with huge distribution or a large product offering. Two guys had an idea and went for it.

I was arguing against that point that all boutique/designer brands are crap. Obviously the ones with legs go on to become large brands. They clearly have to have a product that works or people wouldn't keep buying it.

The only way to know is to try. None of us would be using and enjoying Vaska if we didn't give it a try.

Sometimes we try it and hate it (Laundress) - oh well.

I think each brand can be given the benefit of the doubt until you try it. That's all ;)

Here is a link that might be useful: Method 10 year Anniversary

• larsi_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Livebetter...

Yes, you are right. If we don't try some "off" brands, we will never know if they are good or not. I do agree with Sstava that many, many designer/boutique brands are sadly just fancy labels on un-tested or un-proven detergents.

If it wasn't for you guys (especially you)...I would never have tried Vaska, and you might never have tried Green Works.

It is all basically trial and error. And while it annoys me when I feel I wasted $40 as with The Laundress...for a laundry junkie like me, waiting for FedEx or UPS to deliver a new box of holy grail laundry products is sometimes worth "wasting" $40!! LOL

• sshrivastava
    12 years ago

Larsi, you're the only reason I tried Clorox Green Works. Having this forum has been very helpful. On the whole I've tried more good products than bad based on the feedback here.

• larsi_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sstava...happy I got you and others to try Green Works. I think it is a very good combo and compromise of nature vs. science. No OBAs and it has enzymes. It cleans, IMO, almost as well as Persil...and I really love the clean, herbal smell!!

:) :)

• izeve
    12 years ago

Larsi, based on your glowing reviews I have also tried Green Works. I like it a lot! I did a few loads in it over the weekend and I agree that it cleans and rinses very well.

But as to cleaning as well as Persil, I don't think it does. I performed (completely by accident) a very unscientific test;-) I meant to wash a pair of grimey (formerly) white socks with the rest of my extra hot white wash but they got separated by accident. So one sock got washed on Sanitary, Extra Rinse, with Dixan Classic (Italian Persil) and the other on Perm Press (Warm), Extra Rinse, with Green Works. The sock washed in Persil was visibly cleaner. As I said, the experiment was unscientific and I suspect the length of the wash and the water temp played a significant role in the final results, but the sock washed in Persil was much whiter. Having said that, I am very happy with Green Works and will continue using it. Clothes and towels came out clean, soft and smelling fresh.

• starstern
    9 years ago

how come no one tried nature bright by shaklee ?

Vaska Herbatergent seems to be the best in the green detergent world ?

• Deborah Hall
    6 years ago

I like Caldrea Basil Blue Sage and also Caldrea Sweet Pea.

• livebetter
    6 years ago

I’ve been using Laundress for several years now and still love it. I don’t wash sheets mind you. Use on my more delicate items and def darks. My 15 year old has lots of American Eagle stuff that all seems like it needs gentle care so they get washed with Laundress separately.

i have Caldrea Peat Agave which I like the smell of but never find a reason to use. I should give it away.

• rococogurl
    6 years ago

@livebetter - if you have Pear Agave give it to me please! One of my faves!! I tried Laundress products but didn't love them. Used Caldrea for a while also. Currently prefer Grab Green which gets good ratings.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    6 years ago

Glad to see this discussion of detergents that are off the beaten path. I'm on a mission to find something less toxic that works well. Someone on another thread mentioned the EWG.org site where scientists analyze all the ingredients in these products, so I took a look at that. Wow. I had no idea there was a group out there that was doing such great work at investigating the hazards of some of these products.

I've been reading about the site and how they do their work, how they come up with the grades and what they mean, and I'd really like to get a product that they give an "A" to. I'm not finding a lot of reviews by people who have used them though, so I guess I'm just going to have to do trial and error. I'm also considering making home made laundry detergent.

I like clean, stain free, nice smelling laundry as much as the next person, but I'm pretty shocked at the toxicity of some of the ingredients in some of the most common detergents. Some that we've used over the years, even some my Mom used to use.

I looked up some of the products mentioned in this thread and none of them are in the "A" list....well...sorry, I missed that rococgurl mentioned Grab Green. That product actually does show up in their "A" category. But it does have some ingredients in it that they rate a "C" and that they report has some health effects. So, I'd still like to get something with basically only "A" and "B" ingredients in it and the fewer the better.

Some I've picked out of the "A" category and want to try are.....

Meliora Laundry powder, unscented

Lion Bear Laundry Powder unscented

Dr Bronner's Pure Castile Soap, Baby Unscented

Attitude Little Ones Laundry Detergent, Fragrance Free

Better Life Laundry Detergent, Unscented

Charlie's Soap is in the "A" category, but it does have one C ingredient that I'd rather avoid, so I'm leaving that at the bottom of the list.

If anyone has tried any of these products, I'd love to hear what you think.

• mamapinky0
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Hmm. I recommend you do your homework before making homemade detergent...actually homemade brew since nothing about it is detergent. I'm referring to the recipe making its rounds online using Washing Soda, Borax, and shredded soap generally Fels Naptha. Shred the soap, mix it all together and add a few Tablespoons to each load.

First of all the washing soda and Borax say add something like a half cup to BOOST your detergent yet people think a few grains is gonna do what? Than the soap ratio is way off. Its going to require enough soap in each load to make several inches of thick frothy foam to clean the clothes. That leads us to what soap is going to do to textiles....ever use bar soap? See the scum it leaves behind on the shower..that's what is left in your textiles and in your washer including washer parts you can't see. Perfect breeding ground for mold. And nothing is ridding the machine from it short of a complete tear down and a chisel. This can be avoided if you really want to use this stuff....first you will need an old skool wringer washer and tons upon tons of boiling or next to boiling SOFT water not just for the wa sh but also for the rinse. Plan on about 6 rinses in the boiling soft water and still residue will be left behind turning the clothing dull, dingy and reeking of old body oils.

I doubt this stuff is what you really want...besides what chemicals are in these bar soaps.

Eta...if you choose to make the brew please come back in a few months and someone will help you reverse the damage.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    6 years ago

Hi Mamapinky - Thanks for sharing your experience with the recipe. I have seen that recipe floating around, but actually the Fels Naptha is not that well regarded by EWG. And I think I read one of your posts already that brought up the fact that if you use soap you could get soap scum in the washer like you do in the shower? I'm not looking for that headache. EWG doesn't like Borax either. I am doing a LOT of research, but there is a LOT to read and digest. I'm still trying to weed through the eco friendly detergents to find one that I can feel good about and then I will shift over to seeing if there is a recipe for detergent worth considering. Definitely not that one.

Do you think the same thing applies to the Dr Bronner Pure Castile Soap?

What detergent are you favoring now? I see from other posts that you like to try a lot of brands. You also have a front loader, right? So does that mean you have to stick to certain formulas that are low sudsing? I think I read a post from a few people who like the Grab Green Pods.

We've been going on automatic with the laundry for awhile, so I'm trying to catch up with what's been changing over the past decade. [g]

• hcbm
    6 years ago

I use Grab Green on whites and lights only, because it might fad darks. It is great on whites and lights for me. I use one small pod, that's it in a compact front loader with better than most water level. I would like to switch my other detergents to be better than a C rating, but I am painfully aware that most "organic" detergents are not the best at cleaning and removing stains. Also as you found with Borax just because something is natural or organic it is not necessarily good for you. For darks I am current using Maxx a hispanic detergent and everything else Tide Stain Release. When I use these up I'll move on to try something else.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    6 years ago

Thanks HMorton - I've been getting the sense that the non toxic healthy detergents are not popular and if they cleaned well, I'm sure they would be. But, I've been hoping that maybe the reason they aren't popular is because they haven't been tried very much.

I hope to try the best rated of them and I'll be sure to post what my experiences are. Thanks. :-)

• hcbm
    6 years ago

I have asthma, allergies and very sensitive skin and find the plant based natural products the worse thing for me. I can't use plant based shampoo's, beauty products etc. So though Tide and others might be man made products for me they are safer.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    6 years ago

Gee, that's too bad, HMorton. Natural ingredients can be just as much of an allergen I guess. If I find anything interesting that is not plant based, I'll try to remember to post it here.

• livebetter
    6 years ago

I went through my green phase 10 years ago when my first was born. I've tried most products out there and green ones just don't stand up to reg detergents. I'd never use homemade in my machine (soap + hard water = soap scum). The most "science" seems to support fragrances being the biggest offenders (due to phthalates) so unscented versions of Tide etc would be the best choice IMO. I like laundry that has a slight scent though.

• hcbm
    6 years ago

I find that natural products make me itch especially on my legs. But I can tolerate Grad Green just fine. I think it is the scents. I also can't stand any detergents to touch my skin. If I am at someones home and want to help clean up after dinner I can't do any dishes unless they have rubber gloves. Persil was terrible also for my breathing and I think it was the very strong scent. Right now I'm happy with what I am using and find Mexican Ariel works great along with the others I listed up above. But I get the itch to try something new every time someone here praises a new detergent.

• jerzeegirl (FL zone 9B)
    6 years ago

I once tried Persil based on the opinions that I read on Houzz and I couldn't finish a container. The fragrance was so disgusting to me and there was a lot of it too! The clothes came out stinking of fragrance and rough. I finally went back to using Eco's detergent and Mrs. Meyers fabric softener and my clothes smell freshly laundered again.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I just remembered this thread, when someone posted to it. I'm not sure if I came back to report what detergent we use now. This is the one we settled on.....

Bio Kleen

We bought at least 7 different brands and this is the one that we were the happiest with. It cleans well, it doesn't have dry laundry soap flakes in it, so there is no buildup in the machine or in the clothes. It rinses out of the clothes well and I love that there is no lingering fragrance on my clothes, they just smell clean. I'm happy with it. It is on the list of least toxic laundry detergents on the EWG.org list

If I have a stain that won't come out, I will have washed it in cold water to start, and repeat that to see if that does the trick. If I still have the stain, I've gone to google to see what steps I can take to get it out and the solutions I have found have worked. I also have a leftover bottle of Tide that I resort to to treat a stain, if I don't have time to fool with one. And I feel relieved not to be using products with toxicity issues. I also do not use a fabric softener because they are apparently even worse than detergents. We put white vinegar in the rinse and everything comes out of the washer, clean smelling with no evidence that any detergent is left in the clothes.

BTW, I would have to disagree with the idea that fragrance is the only issue with toxic laundry detergents. On the EWG site, they list all the ingredients and what health problems they may cause and to me they are a significant source of health disruptors, including hormone disruptors. And clothes and sheets and towels, they are in constant contact with our skin, which absorbs a lot. I agree there are a lot of 'green' products out there that are not useable to me, but I'm happy I stuck with it, did the research and found something I was happy with. It took me months to get that accomplished.

We've also changed our hand soap, our shampoo and moisturizer and cleaning products, which took even longer. Hope that helps someone trying to do the same thing. And if you try BioKleen and don't like it as well as I do, you can work off the EWG list at the least toxic and try others until you find one you like. Good luck. :-)

• mamapinky0
    5 years ago

I like BioKleen Premium I think it's called..with Sodium Percarbonate. It does a lovely job on whites. Don't think I've tried the BioKleen without Oxy. I love the grapefruit scent.

• mamapinky0
    5 years ago

This is the one I like. It does a fabulous job on whites along with hot water.

• HU-525299717
    3 years ago

All I can say is wish me luck ladies, I actually use a maytag wringer washer for our laundry and just today ordered quite a bit of Laundress detergents. I will only buy 100% cotton percale sheets, now only USA made which are a little pricey but I think are worth every penny. Laundress det. was recommended to take good care of them so that is what I ordered. I will add that I have had two HE front loaders that didn't last but a month or so past their warranty so I am done with them also they didn't clean nearly as well as my wringer washer that has never even needed a repair since 1948. ( It was my Mothers machine.) Never going back to an automatic HE washer. I find the wringer to some may seem a lot of work but I love it. Couldn't beat it for cloth diapers either.

Lots of use full info on this thread. Thank you, Pat

• Jeffrey Caban
    3 years ago

Missing mamapinky and larsi's posting too.

Jeff

• livebetter
    3 years ago

@HU-525299717 I love my Laundress products. Been using them for years now. Their bleach alternative and whites detergent does a great job for me. I have a Miele XL machine.

• Kimberly Greenock
    3 years ago

I love my Laundress products too.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    3 years ago

I have never tried that product, but I just looked it up on ewg dot org and they do not give it high marks for safety. The Laundress Laundry Detergent #10 - they actually gave an F grade which is as low as it goes. In the details of the evaluation, it reports that it has high concern for developmental and reproductive toxicity. Along with some concern for asthma, skin allergies, cancer, and the environment. This is the kind of product I am trying to get away from.

• livebetter
    3 years ago

I take anything from EWG with salt. Their reviews are often inconsistent. I notice they’ll give products with lavender an “A” even though the endocrine society states lavender (and tea tree) is a potential endocrine disruptor.

I went though my “non toxic” phase years ago. I kept some things but I preferred clean laundry and sometimes you need a well formulated product to get a job done.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I use BioKleen which is rated an A on the EWG site. I feel it gets my clothes clean and that it rinses out really well, so I have no odor of detergent on my clothes. Laundress is rated an F. That's a big difference. I had to try about 4 products from the EWG data base before I found one I was happy with.

I've lived non toxic for probably 20 years at least and I'm very happy to have made those changes. I also garden organically. Sure, you can find info about common ingredients like citrus, lavender etc, that are thought to be questionable on EWG, but I ignore that. When they review a product that is completely made with natural ingredients and no synthetic chemicals at all, they might downgrade it from an A to a B, because of something like lavender. I can live with that. I trust herbs and natural ingredients way more than I do synthetics that have been made in a lab, with no concern for toxicity to humans at all.

I don't choose a product by the grade given, I read each review and the list of ingredients and why they consider it toxic and I make a decision by finding the product that in addition to a good grade, has the smallest list of ingredients and the most natural ingredients. Then I try it out and keep trying products until I find one that is satisfactory. It's time consuming, but it gives me peace of mind that I'm exposing my family to the least toxic products I can find. That goes for cleaning products, personal care products, paint, garden products. Anything that comes into the house. I can't say it's easy to do. It's a pain. But once you find a product to replace something toxic, it is very satisfying and then you can keep using that and not have to research for that product any more.

Laundry detergent is particularly of concern to me. It's not like toothpaste that is in and out of your mouth in 5 minutes. Although I do use a toothpaste off the EWG list too. If you think about how your skin absorbs so many things and the more of your skin's surface that is exposed to something, the more you are going to absorb. If a detergent leaves a residue on your clothes and your towels and your sheets that you sleep on all night, that's a lot of exposure.

And thanks to the comments here on The Laundress products, I went back to EWG and I see another laundry detergent that is rated well that I might consider trying as well. I find it a valuable resource. They've put the time in, to collect all the data on these products and create a searchable database that allows any one of us to quickly find what is in these products and any research that has been done on whether they are harmful. Sure you have to put some time in to weed through all the info and decide for yourself what makes sense, but to me, it's worth it. Not only do I find products I am happier with, but once I do, I can recommend them to everyone I know.

• livebetter
    3 years ago

Fear mongering is an effective strategy to sell products.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    3 years ago

??? What? If that's the way you see it, it's your prerogative, but your statement really doesn't fit the picture. But I've presented my experiences and what is important to me. If you don't see the value in information about the products you use, then you don't.

• livebetter
    3 years ago

You have a belief in the information presented by EWG as being accurate. I'm pointing out that not everyone thinks they are solidly based in science. Like much of what goes on in the alternative realm, there are some truths and much fear mongering. There are several articles that cover it.

https://www.acsh.org/news/2017/05/25/dear-ewg-why-real-scientists-think-poorly-you-11323

https://www.theecowell.com/blog/a-case-against-the-ewg

https://www.activistfacts.com/organizations/113-environmental-working-group/

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    3 years ago

It's great for you to provide links to information critical to EWG - I am sure there is something to criticize. Everything you can point to out there can be criticized. Even the companies and products that you support and buy. It's always a case of weighing both sides of the coin. So, if you are accepting criticism aimed at EWG, are you equally open to accepting criticism about the companies and products you use?

When I have the time, I'll be happy to read the links you provided and see what I think about them.

• PRO
    DJS
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I for one DO love the Laundress products, all of them... my sheets and towels always look/feel their best as do my darks after every wash. When I don’t use, my husband asks why his clothes don’t smell good?! Lol! There is a product for everyone and not everyone likes one product... psychology

• amgsell
    2 years ago

I have been using laundress products for over a year now. My overall opinion is that I will not be buying any more. My husband keeps telling me his clothes smell bad and especially our workout clothes, which I have used their sport detergent and it smells of that funky biofilm where bacteria is now trapped in the clothing. Once you get that it, is virtually impossible to get out. I feel like our clothes are ruined. My husband even commented that our sheets smell funny. They never smell fresh, only for a few minutes after I take it out of the wash. I even tried the fabric sprays and nothing works. I will be using this up and going back to my old school laundry detergent. I think it’s just pretty packaging and good marketing.

• doreycrouse
    2 years ago

I would certainly try a new detergent and wash particular items in hot water, such as sheets, towels, whites, socks and underwear, etc. This should remove a fair bit of the build up you are describing. I hate to hear you are having issues. Keep us posted.

• Nick
    2 years ago

I don't use their products but I was going to order the bleach alternative. It looks like it's the only pure sodium percarbonate on the market

• dadoes
    2 years ago

Sodium percarbonate can be found at chemical suppliers, online sources.

• amgsell
    2 years ago

I do use some of their specialty items, such as bleach alternative. I didnt notice a huge difference but worth a try. I also use their delicate wash, cashmere and wool, denim. They work well. I did not find their sport or signature to work at all. The clothes had a horrible smell, like not clean.