Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
larsi_gw

New Surf Sparkling Ocean Powder Detergent

larsi_gw
13 years ago

I always give up on Powder Detergents, since they are messy, and for some reason (besides Persil)..they leave a white powdery coating on the drum of my Stainless wash drum (even though I use 3 rinses and Softener).

I normally think anything from SUN is sh*t, but I saw the words NEW on the box of Surf at Target. Those words + laundry products are like crack cocaine for a laundry junkie :) And it was on sale for $3.99.

Surprised...it works. No powdery residue left on my stainless wash drum. Even using Hot cycles...almost no suds. It removed stains from my very active 4 year old, and left my towels smelling so fresh! Rinses so clean...and the smell!! Wow, I forgot how good Surf smells. I used to used in from like 1990-1995. I know it has no "green" credentials, but it will stay in my collection of laundry goodies. I've only done 3 load with it, so I cannot say I love it...but I know after one load if I hate something. It just smells so darn good!!! :)

Comments (9)

• gates1
    13 years ago

I hope it smells better than those damn candles LOL!! If I didnt have 2 bottle of Tide, a box of Tide and a bottle of Gain, Id try it and see how I like it. I will haveto wait till my inventory goes down or I will get thrown out of the house.

• izeve
    13 years ago

wow, larsi, you are a true laundry junkie ;-)

Is that detergent HE or regular? And do you know if it contains OBs? Enzymes? I'd love to find a good performing and nicely smelling powder detergent without OBs and with enzymes.

• nerdyshopper
    13 years ago

What is OB?

• larsi_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

@ gates1...LOL I Love my Yankee Candles Clean Sheets. I still cannot believe you don't like them. I have probably given then to at least 2 dozen people for gifts, and they are hooked. It makes the entire house smell like you cleaned all day & fresh laundry is everywhere! Different strokes for different folks. I too have an ARSENAL of detergents...but for $3.99 I could not resist!!

@ izeve...Yes, this Surf powder has OBs and enzymes. Sorry. I actually really like enzymes. I would prefer no OBs, but since I have used this Surf on my 4 year old's clothes, sheets and towels...I am not concerned with fading.

• izeve
    13 years ago

Nerdyshopper, OBs are optical brighteners. Most detergents have them. In my experience, OBs contribute to fading of dark colors.

Thanks Larsi, I also like enzymes but would like a detergent without OBs. So far I really like Green Works and Vaska, but they are liquid and I would love to find a powder without OBs. I will try the new Seventh Generation powder in Real Citrus and Lavender if I can find it locally.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    13 years ago

My fave powder hands down is the Sears Ultra Plus Advanced Formula Powder Laundry Detergent w/ Stain-Fighting Formula it is HE comes in the green and orange box, unless you get the unscented which is a blue box. The scent is extremely mild and barely there. It cleans exceptionally well.
    There is a long thread praising it here on this forum somewhere.
    Ultra Plus

they also have one that has Oxi clean in it, have not tried that one.

• izeve
    13 years ago

Thanks ravencajun, I like and use Sears Ultra Plus and I think it's a great detergent except that it does fade darks for me, especially my husband's cotton polo shirts (black, burgundy, navy). I think it's due to OBs. Otherwise, Sears Ultra Plus is great.

• sshrivastava
    12 years ago

OBs are not biodegradable, are toxic to aquatic life, cause bacterial mutations and can cause allergic skin reactions. It's best to avoid them whenever possible.

Here is a link that might be useful: Say No to the Glow!

• Cyberspacer
    12 years ago

Just to luv it when I had a Maytag top loader (the real Maytag - not todays top load cra$) goin back 15 years. . Surf had a great scent. Have not seen an HE version though.

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus