Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karen_mickleson

Steam vs no steam dryers?

Karen Mickleson
13 years ago

I did a search on this and nobody seems to have asked this. I'm now leaning towards an LG TL Waveforce washer--probably the one without the onboard heater as I so rarely use hot water.

Can someone summarize the supposed advantages of steam vs non-steam dryers? I know it likely varies from brand to brand to some extent, but in general what do steam dryers give you that those without it don't?

Thanks.

Comments (12)

• Karen Mickleson
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Nevermind. I looked into it further and found info I needed.

• Karen Mickleson
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, GC! Yes, I pretty much decided to go with the steam because of its ability to refresh/reduce wrinkles from loads which stop drying while I'm not there. (I never iron!) It's worth it for me to have that feature. Or, if there's a piece of clothing which isn't dirty yet but I've left in a pile I can just refresh it!

• westvillager
    13 years ago

I admit I get too obsessed with care labels, but I am really curious about the long term success with a steam feature. It sounds like the appeal is convenience, which isn't an overriding motivator for me, but I can't get over the hump on this one to let it go.

• motherof3sons
    13 years ago

Rarely use mine, but do like it for "winter" clothes that need a quick refresh.

• Kieffers_Guy
    13 years ago

STEAM IN DRYERS IS AWESOME. Period. If you hate to iron (like I do), steam is a great way to "refresh" clothes. I can't say that I'm a big fan of steam in washers. I mean, who cares, right? If you're using steam, you're already using a hot temp on your water so what does it matter?

Hope this helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: Want to laugh and learn about appliances? Read my blog!

• Karen Mickleson
    Original Author
    13 years ago

My first load was a very large one of T-Shirts and pants and some other stuff. It did seem more wrinkled than with my old agitator machine. And they came out of the dryer, 'Cotton-Normal'rather wrinkled too.

So I put them back in for the Refresh steam cycle and while they were better after, not as wrinkle free as my old Whirlpool.

Today I did sheets used the anti-static modifier button which adds steam intermittently towards the end of the cycle and they were surely better for it. I can see how the steam adds de-wrinklification. But I also wish there wasn't a need. Guess that's what you get with HE: faster spin times save energy.

• gates1
    13 years ago

I found out with cotton items, it really helps to dry items of the same weight together. If you over dry cotton, it will wrinkle more or if it is a very large load. This has been true for me on any dryer than I have owned and used. Your owners manual will tell you this too. I always wash and dry jeans together, never mixed with anything. This is the best dryer I have owned to date

• nsaids_nurse420 Kirker
    13 years ago

i love my steam dryer! i bought my son a dress shirt and pants. i didn't want to press them r/t, i do not own a iron. i put them in my steam dryer and they came out perfectly. i also have a regular dryer without steam. the lines in the dress shirt would not have come out without the steam, although, i could have sprayed the shirt and pants with water before i put them in the regular dryer with probably the same results.

• Marguerite Tulett
    2 years ago

Does a steam dryer or washer shrink the clothes?

• georgect
    2 years ago

@Marguerite Tulett No they don't shrink clothes.

• Marguerite Tulett
    2 years ago

Thank you