Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Keeping the lid open on a TL washer?

Posted by kcred (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 1, 08 at 17:37

Hi everybody,
On our old Kenmore TL washer, we kept the lid open when not in use, to prevent rusting.
We recently got a new F&P TL with the stainless steel tub/innards. Is it still necessary to keep the top open when not in use?
A full report on the F&P pair will be posted in a few days. Preliminary: Very happy and extremely satisfied! Quiet, gets the job done, uses less energy/water, and done quickly!
Anyway, if I could find out if I should leave the top open when not in use or not, and why or why not, I would be very grateful.
Loving laundry again,
kcred

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Keeping the lid open on a TL washer?

If you can leave it open it sure wouldn't hurt. Normally, top loaders aren't sealed tight like front loaders so there will still be some air circulation. Obviously being open would allow a bit more airflow but it's not as critical.

I always left mine open as a reminder, well actually when it was down was a reminder there was a load in there. My memory isn't what it used to be so when I look and the lid is down, it means there's the load to be dealt with.

If nothing else, when the load first finishes, it might be helpful to have the lid up and put it down the next day or something.

o

I have had my F&P top loader for 3 1/2 years. I have read about needing to keep the lid/door open on front loaders but I haven't done that with my F&P. I haven't noticed any smell or problems associated with keeping the lid down.

I have had other washers in the past (always been top loaders) and never kept the lid up. It appears that it may be more important with front loaders.

I still love my F&P !!!

Robyn

o

I have always kept the lid up on my TLers. I figure that the more air the faster it will dry out and the less likely it is to get musty. Our area is rather humid in the summer and we run a whole house humidifyer in the winter so I try to be careful about moisture.

o

Thanks for the thoughts and opinions, everyone. I suppose there's no real need to keep it open, but I probably will out of habit. jcrowley, like you I live in area that can get very humid and I completely understand about controlling moisture.
Thanks again!
kcred

o

I leave my F&P open for a day or so, usually close it when I'm next in the utility room after that much time has passed.

o

I leave mine up just to let it dry out completely. Sometimes it's still damp after a load and I don't want it to get musty. Unless it's in the middle of your kitchen you can't see it, and unlike FL's, it doesn't get in the way.

o

I personally think it's a real kludge if all the manufacturers can do is tell their customers to keep the lid or door open to prevent mold and mildew. I think it's reasonable to expect that an expensive product like a washing machine would have this kind of problem designed out, after all, what fraction of consumers can reasonably be expected to heed this kind of advice? I doubt that it's more than one in four.

o

I always leave the top up for a few hours, at least. I am not worried about mold/mildew, but basically out of habit. It can be humid here in WI, so I think a few hours open after a load will prevent the stale air smell. The F&P washer seems to be more closed off than my old Maytag metal lid. The Maytag you could see many gaps around the lid. The F&P (Aquasmart) lid covers most of the machine, with only a gap at the front handle area.

It will not hurt anything to leave the lid up, that way mold/mildew will never be a problem.

o

washer_man and others,
I really don't understand why people think that it is too much of a hassle to leave the lid or door of a washer open. Why do you say that just one out of four consumers can leave a washer door/lid open? There are many ways to ensure that the door stays slightly open, it doesn't have to be open all the way...
I don't think that there is much a manufacturer can do to prevent mold/mildew in a moist environment. You can buy the most expensive shower stall and still have to clean it and keep it reasonably dry to prevent any mold buildup. Would you blame a design flaw for mold in a shower?

The price of an appliance or other goods does not keep you from having to follow some simple maintenance procedures. You can buy a Jaguar and still have to do regular oil changes, check the tire pressure, etc. even though you paid a lot more for it than most people do for other cars...

o

Yes, but you can buy cars these days that have systems that monitor tire pressue, and add extra air as needed. I think the original Hummer does this. Also, you can use synthetic oil, and only have to change your oil once a year instead of every three months.

Washer manufacturers could use antimicrobial plastics, and sensors that detect when there's a problem and then automatically send the washer into a Cleaning Cycle. They could eliminate cracks and crevices that retain moisture, or maybe they could vent the washer between cycles with a small door that automatically opens. Top loaders don't have this problem, so we know it can be fixed.

Maybe it would also help to use the same antimicrobial plastics in the shower stall as well.

o

I admit, I can't understand why it would be hard to leave the washer lid up after one has transferred laundry to a dryer.

I've been married more than 30 years, have had three traditional washers, and now have a Maytag Bravos top-loading HE washer.

I have always, at all times, left the washer lid open when I was through transferring wet laundry to the dryer. When I was training my kids to do laundry, they had to learn to leave the washer lid open; they would sometimes shut it for a while, but even that little bit of time caused it to start smelling musty. They learned pretty quickly to leave the washer lid open between washings.

When I had washers with agitators, I also left the lid open when I was soaking clothes. At those times, I usually set a timer so I would know when it was time to finish the wash.

o

I always leave it open and if I see it closed then I know that I didn't put the laundry in the dryer.

o

YES YES YES !!!....... Top loader or front loader....
Door always open when not in use....

o

Isn't the lid on the FP plastic?

o

@ weedmeister:
Yeah, the F&P lid is plastic (the strong kind). I was more worried about the tub/basin area rusting in my original post.
Again to all, thanks! Old habits die hard. The washer lid is left open here between loads, and as dd50 said, it serves as a visual clue as to whether or not there are still clothes in the washer.
kcred

o

I know that keeping the lid open on any kind of washer is the safest route, but it's helpful to know that there really is a significant difference between top loaders and front loaders.

The reason for this is that front loaders have doors that are sealed with rubber gaskets so they are truly airtight, whereas top loaders have lids that have big gaps between the top of the wash tub, and the underside of the lid, so there's lots of free space for the inside of the wash tub to vent to the outside.

The upshot of this that top loaders are already designed with enough opening space between the lid and the rest of the wash tub so that when the lid of a top loader is closed it's pretty much equivalent to a front loader with its door open.

Now, keeping the lid on a top loader open to prevent rusting is something to consider, but I think that washers sold today should have enough paint and rust preventative stuff on them to preclude the need for keeping the lid open. At least I would hope they do ...

o

Frontloaders are not actually *air-tight*, they're just not quite as open to airflow as toploaders. The door may be sealed tight, but dispenser drawers typically are not. There's likely a siphon break on the fill flume, and some frontloaders have an exposed vent opening on back of the cabinet that leads through a hose to top of the outer tub. Those that do not have a vent on back may have one inside the cabinet.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here