Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
happs_gw

New Hotpoint Dryer Comparison

happs
10 years ago

I've spent the last half hour comparing these two basic Hotpoint electric dryers and have become frustrated trying to decipher the differences between them to determine which one is better, assuming both are the same price.

I've looked at up close pictures of the control panels and don't see where one has one more cycle than the other. Both seem to have cycle cool down and wrinkle free on the control panels but the description comparison says otherwise. One does have a powder coated steel drum.

http://products.geappliances.com/ApplProducts/Dispatcher?REQUEST=HPCOMPAREPAGE&sku=HTDX100EDWW&sku=HTDX100EMWW

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/catalog/servlet/THDProductCompare?errorURL=ProductAttributeErrorView&langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053&prodComp_0=203517069&prodComp_1=202498073&keyword=hotpoint+dryer

I would appreciate any help/insights. There seem to be slight feature differences between them that aren't apparent on the control panel, but since I haven't bought a dryer in many years, am unsure about their benefit.

Comments (2)

• dadoes
    10 years ago

The links you provided don't work for me.

However, looking up model HTDX100EMWW at GE's site and product 202498073 at Home Depot ... they appear to be be the same model. The description at Home Depot references MFG Model # HTDX100EMWW.

There's also reference in your Home Depot link to product 203517069, which is a slightly different model number, HTDX100EDWW. Perhaps those are the two you're comparing -- HTDX100EDWW and HTDX100EMWW.

D may indicate the unit is sold only through Home Depot. Or the D and M may be coding for the market model-year, with D being a "last year" model that's still available.

I see only three cycles on both: Timed, Auto Regular, Auto Wrinkle Free (Perm Press). Only difference between the two auto cycles is a longer cool down (maybe 10 mins) on Wrinkle Free, and a shorter cool down (maybe 5 mins) on Regular. Timed cycles usually have a 5-min cool down. All dryer cycles nowadays have cool-downs of some duration or other, even if they're not labeled on the dial. Higher-featured models may have an extended tumble or wrinkle-prevent function on the designated Perm Press or Wrinkle Free / Casuals cycle, which simply extends the cool-air tumble past the normal end of the cycle to help prevent wrinkles if the clothes can't be unloaded immediately. Depending on the dryer involved and how it's designed, the extended tumble may run continuously for X number of minutes until the machine does shut completely off, or it may be an intermittent tumble (30 seconds every 5 mins) for a given period of time.

The Auto cycles are likely thermostatic sensing, not true moisture sensing. Thermostatic sensing works fine for the most part but can be thrown inconsistent if the machine is installed and used a location subject to ambient temperature extremes, such as an unheated/uncooled garage or out-shed.

Marketing departments sometimes get slap-happy with cycle counts. I've seen washers touted as having 12 cycles, or some other large number, when they really only have two or three -- the larger number is garnered by counting various labeled positions (Heavy Soil, Normal Soil, Light Soil, Rinse/Spin, Spin-only, etc.) as separate cycles when they're really just shorter wash times or later starting points at the agitated rinse or final spin in the same cycle.

• happs
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much for your helpful analysis. Yes, I am comparing the HTDX100EDWW and HTDX100EMWW models.