Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Soap.com goodies arrived today :)

Posted by larsi (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 5, 11 at 17:16

New laundry goodies for a laundry junkie, is like candy for a child!!

The Laundress Classic smells SO good. I have no idea how it will work, but the fragrance is light, natural and really clean and crisp. I cannot wait to wash sheets and towels tomorrow afternoon!!!

Soap.com was free next day shipping, and my order total was reduced by 15% when I checked out. Pretty impressive. Maybe because it was my first time?

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Soap.com goodies arrived today :)

No Vaska??

I've only tried The Laundress Cashmere wash - it's great! Love it for wool and cashmere items.

o

livebetter,

YES, I got the BIG Vaska Herbatergent as well. But sadly, when I opened the box...I was greeted with a horribly, sticky (yet lovely lavender mess :) The Herbatergent lid cracked in transit...and EVERYTHING was covered in Vaska. At least 85-90% of the detergent was spilled. Soap.com was AWESOME though, they are over nighting me a new bottle, of course no charge. They are as friendly as Zappos!!

o

Their selection looks awesome. So sad no shipping to Canada. What's a laundry junky to do?? ;)

Too bad about the Vaska - what a waste. Glad they are shipping out a new one. I'm down to half a bottle.

Let me know how you like the Mrs. Meyers Geranium detergent.

I bought the Lavender one but it smells more like orange which I don't like. The Calrea Lavender smells more like pine. I like the Mrs. Meyers but need to find another scent I like. They have a new rosemary one too.

I thought their detergent contained OBAs but I don't see them listed in the ingredients:

INGREDIENTS: Water, Alcohol Ethoxylate, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Coconut Acid, Sodium Citrate, Sodium Borate, Glycerin, Propylene Glycol, Fragrance*, Geranium Maculatum (Geranium) Oil, Rosa Centifolia (Rose) Flower Oil, Eugenia Caryophyllus (Clove) Flower Oil, Protease, Amylase, Lipase, Mannanase, Sorbitol, Alcohol Denat., Potassium Hydroxide, Methylisothiazolinone, Benzisothiazolinone

4 enzymes! You must be happy with that ;)

Did you read the full scent descriptions? Sounds so nice ...

Here is a link that might be useful: Mrs Meyers - Our Scents

o

Meyers cleaning products never impressed me, doubt the detergent will be much better. I will stick to persil and tide

o

Yeah, I am happy with all the enzymes and no OBAs in the Mrs. Meyers.

I am VERY pleased with with Mrs. Meyers Geranium Fabric Softener, and I read many positive online reviews about the detergent. If I do not find the detergent super great on stains and spills...no big deal. I bought it mainly for sheets and towels (that is if I am not addicted to The Laundress; the Classic scent smells so amazing in the bottle).

I also have the Geranium dish soap, spray cleaner and the Candle. I am not a fan of lavender, Lemon Verbena and usually Rosemary is not a big like of mine. The Geranium smells awesome though. For sure like Geraniums, but with a warm, clove infused warmth and rose (which I flip for :)!!

o

That list of ingredients concerns me, especially the sodium laureth sulfate. According to Wikipedia, sodium laureth sulphate is an inexpensive yet highly effective "foaming agent". Why would you want to use a laundry detergent in your HE front-load machine that has an ingredient that is added to increase foaming and sudsing? I don't believe I've ever encountered an HE product with this ingredient. It's typical in body cleansers and foaming bath washes because you want a rich, luxurious and sudsy lather in the bath or shower - but not in the laundry!

o

Wikipedia also states, "SLES, SLS and ALS are surfactants that are used in many cosmetic products for their cleansing and emulsifying properties. They behave similarly to soap."

Sodium Laureth Sulfate is also the "friendlier" version of sodium lauryl sulfate.

Surfactants lower the surface tension of water, essentially making it 'wetter' so that it is less likely to stick to itself and more likely to interact with oil and grease.

I have used it in my Miele with no suds or problems.

I know you have softened water so not sure what would happen for you.

o

Sstava & livebetter...

2 loads with Mrs. Meyer's Geranium detergent, and as few bubbles as with Persil, Vaska, Green Works, etc... No sudsing, rinse water cycles seemed totally normal. Clothes felt very rinsed and clean!

I did a Very warm wash and a warm wash. High and Max spins speeds, 3rd rinse (sensitive). Clothes feel pretty great. The smell, for me, could be much stronger...but the items smell fresh and really clean!!

So far, The Laundress is a little of a bust for me. The Classic detergent and softener smell totally amazing, but they are a royal pain in the a$$ to dispense (way too thick for the little cap). Sheets smell great, but not soft or silky!! Kinda disappointed. But, at least I love the smell...so not a total loss!

o
RE: New Soap.com goodies arrived today ...

I just checked and Seventh Generation also lists this as an ingredient in both the 2X and 4X liquid.

sodium lauryl sulfate (plant-derived cleaning agent)

I've used the 2X liquid with no suds issues in my Miele although I did have problems with it in previous Frigidaire.

o

I've read some disappointing reviews of Laundress products myself, sorry those aren't working out for you Larsi. The Laundress strikes me as one of those high priced, boutique detergents like Le Blanc that are more about a sales pitch than actual results.

Since you are into scents, have you tried Caldrea? I received a few sample pouches of their liquid hand soap and it smells heavenly. I don't know how well their laundry products perform, but I'm sure the scent would be out of this world.

o

Sstava..have not tried, nor even heard about Caldrea.

Doing another load with the Mrs. Meyer's Geranium detergent. Very Warm, Wrinkle Free. There are seriously NO suds on the glass. Vaska, Persil and Green Works always give a few bubbles, but none with Mrs.M. So...no fears about sudsing with Mrs.M!

The sheets came out "ok" with The Laundress. I mean, they were by no means rough or wrinkled. Just not as silky as with Vaska or something else.

I'll have to look into Caldrea. Thanks!

o

Mrs. Meyer’s Clean Day is owned by the Caldrea Company. It’s the company’s “value brand" priced to sell at the high end of fine supermarket products.

The Caldrea scents are more "elaborate" (it features multiple-note scents).

Here is one sample of detergent ingredients for Sandalwood Riceflower:

Water (Aqua) (Eau), Alcohol Ethoxylate, Coconut Acid, Sodium Citrate, Sodium Borate, Glycerin, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Sodium Gluconate, Fragrance (Parfum), Citrus Nobilis (Mandarin Orange) Peel Oil, Cedrus Atlantica (Cedarwood) Bark Oil, Aglaia Odorata Flower (Riceflower) Extract, Protease, Stilbenetriazine derivative, Acrylic Polymer, Potassium Hydroxide, Propylene Glycol, Methylisothiazolinone, Benzisothiazolinone

Interesting only one enzyme in this vs. Mrs. Meyers.

I've used their Lavender Pine but it smells too much like Pine for me. I've also tried the Sweet Pea which is nice. I think I've smelled most of them. They would definitely have more scent for you Larsi.

Here is a link that might be useful: Caldrea - fragrances

o
RE: New Soap.com goodies arrived ... type fix

Sorry about that type ... the first sentence should read:

Mrs. Meyer's Clean Day is owned by the Caldrea Company. It's the company's "value brand" priced to sell at the high end of fine supermarket products.

o

I use Caldrea's lotions and really like the scents - very natural and nice combinations. Have not seen laundry detergents made by them.

As to Mrs. Meyers, I've tried their dishwasher detergents in my dishwasher. While the kitchen smelled nice while the dishwasher was running, the dishes came out less than clean and the scent lingered on dishes :-( Yuck! Esp. when you are trying to eat something of a plate smelling of lemon verbena dishwasher liquid...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here