Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lucik77

Please help select a new washer - how do I decide ???

lucik77
12 years ago

Hello,

My washer just broke yesterday with all the clothing, soapy water still in it. Had to fish items out and rinse them manually - gained new level of respect for the generations who did laundry with their bare hands! Having read the various existing threads about selecting a new washer here are some points about us and what I am looking for:

1. family of 4 (2 small children who get dirty a LOT).

2. do at least 2-4 wsh / week

3. currently have a top loader but open to both TL and FL.

4. main concern is to be able to get the clothes clean and keep them in good shape wash after wash :))

5. i read that some allow to wash even dry clean goods

6. want to be able to wash quilts, down comforters, etc once in a long while.

7. sometimes wash just a few items if necessary

don't want to spend too much but before creating a budget want to understand what different price levels will mean in terms of features / quality / savings over the years.

Thank you very much for your input!

Comments (7)

• dave1812
    12 years ago

my samsung 520 w & d is large enough to do thick king size comforters. u can't beat a FL for getting clothes CLEAN! A HE FL uses such little water that you won't feel silly washing just a garment or two. I got my 520's for 1/2 price! (once a year sale, at Pacific Sales late last year)

i can't emphasize enough how much better a FL is at getting clothes (and filthy oily rags) SPOTLESS. Wish I would have bought one years ago instead of wasting water and detergent in my old Maytag TL. I had no idea how lousy it was until I got the Sammys

• lucik77
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, that sounds nice! If you don't mind sharing, what's 1/2 price?

• dadoes
    12 years ago

lucik77, what brand/model TL is your non-functioning machine? Although the symptoms sound bad, it could be something simple and inexpensive as a broken safety lid switch. I've seen people toss out a washer for not realizing their problem is a $12 part that's easily replaced by a competent DIYer.

• lucik77
    Original Author
    12 years ago

dadoes, thanks! we have a GE but not sure of the model # (something ancient no doubt). unfortunately neither my husband nor I are DIYers.
    how can we diagnose the problem? also, how do we get the water out of the machine? when I try to re-run it by turning the knob to "rinse", the machine makes a scary sound like a car with a dead battery.

• dadoes
    12 years ago

I can't offer further advice on a GE without the specific model number to check what's the mechanism. They had more than one mechanical design over the last decade or so (not known for reliability). I was thinking maybe it's a Kenmore or Whirlpool, which didn't change from approx 1985 to early this year.

• babs711
    12 years ago

I just replaced our less than 7 year old top of the line Kenmore He Front Loader that bit the dust with an He Samsung Top Loader. This machine has just as much capacity as a front loader (4.7 cf). The drum is huge!! The He top loaders don't have the center agitator. This one (and many others) have HUGE drums. I can fit SO MUCH in this thing and actually enjoy doing laundry (well, as much as one can enjoy it!) again! My clothes smell good and get clean again. I also have two kids that get dirty playing sports, etc. Their clothes are coming out nice and clean. And my dryer that I was having to hit "touch up" on to finish getting the last little damp bits finished off is actually working because the spin is getting all the water out I suppose.

I've stood over the clear lid and watched it work. It's getting all the laundry soaked and tumbling it all over. This morning I didn't want to do a load yet and needed to run it about an hour later. I then remembered it had a delay wash button! I hit it to start in an hour and went on with my day and came back to perfectly clean laundry! Other brands probably had that, but it's new to me with my 7 year old washer! I can throw a load in before bed and have it run when I wake up in the morning. Fantastic!

• lucik77
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That sounds great!
    What are some of the most important features that I should look into while narrowing down the choices?

Thanks!