Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can Ecru vintage crochet tablecloths be changed to White?

Posted by bnicebkind (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 20, 11 at 16:27

I purchased a vintage cotton crochet tablecloth that looked white on e-bay, but arrived and is that Ecru color...which I can't use. I like the pattern, and wondered if anyone knows how to successfully lighten it to white, or at least to the color of a ball of string. Is this at all possible, and if so, how?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can Ecru vintage crochet tablecloths be changed to White?

Soaking it in a solution of Biz will get it as white as it can get without damage to the fabric.

Sunlight is also a great fabric "bleach"

o

You should just try washing it. It's possible it's just filthy. Fill a mixing or the sink with detergent and some Oxiclean and let it soak for a while.

o

I have used Chlorox to whiten ecru lace curtains. You must use very little because it will make holes if you use too much. I don't think Oxyclean will hurt it but might not work for ecru. It doesn't take the color out of my khaki pants.

o

Thank you for your responses. I see so much of that ECRU color in vintage crochet tablecloths, and I personally do not like it at all, but I admire the work and time someone put into making it. I was hoping that there was a white dye on the market, or a way to get that color out, making it white without damaging the tablecloth.

o

BNice... unfortunately there is no such thing as a white "dye". There are white pigments but they are more like paint pigments than dyes and can yield a stiff product.

The end result will totally depend on how the fabric was dyed originally. If it was tea died or similarly dyed using a natural substance, an overnight OxyClean soak will likely turn it "white". Now it's only going to turn it as white as natural cotton.

If you want it to be the dazzling, unnatural white of today's whites, you're going to have to oxy bleach, chlorine bleach and then bluing it. The "white" everyone thinks of as white today is actually slightly blue.

- IT Geek

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here