Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mizlizzie_gw

LG steam vs a Speed Queen laundry center

MizLizzie
9 years ago

As I sit here drawing up plans for my laundry reno, my 16-year old no frills Kenmore dryer is beginning to make a strange squeaking sound . . . so, hastening over from the Kitchen Forum, I better get cracking and ask -- what good is a steam washer? Why would you want one? I just toss a damp dishtowel into the dryer if I just need to shake out some wrinkles in a garment. Is that all it does?

My room is small and I see some LGs -- with and without steam -- coming in at a depth of around 30". I can get the Speed Queen ATE50F laundry center at only 24" deep and it seems like a more old-fashioned washer and dryer -- more like what I'm used to and enjoy. I have dreaded the day my antique Kenmores go, and I know nothing about modern front loaders -- except that everyone I know hates theirs and says they break down and don't wash well.

I should add we are just two people who don't get their clothes muddy or oily or even very dirty. Do we need steam and fancy? Or would Speed Queen suit us better? Thanks.

Comments (5)

• dianne47
    9 years ago

Many people here recommend Speed Queen, but design your laundry to fit the larger machines. You might buy one brand and make a change in a few years. It's short-sighted to design around a small W/D.

• MizLizzie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Good advice. I'd taken that into account. Looks like the SQ is 27" wide, just like 85% of the conventional front loaders. Where the extra size seems to be is in depth. So in my space, a regular LG stacked pair would stick out into the room another several inches. I have the space and door clearance, etc. But that's real estate I'd rather have for elbow room. And cat litter pans. ;-)

• gardeninnj
    9 years ago

Hi MizLizzie, did you decide what machines to buy? I have a narrow and shallow laundry closet with an 80s version of a Thin Twin in it at a rental property, and I am debating whether to get the Speed Queen laundry center because it is pretty pricey but huge for such a depth (most shallow washers are 1.5 to 2 cubic feet, the SQ is 3.3). All other frontloaders are about 30 inches deep and stick out way too far. If you have the space, you should put in the full size W/D because it is easier to find a replacement down the road. Also, you can get a much larger tub size, up to 7 cubic feet. I can tell you that the steam dryers (I have an Electrolux WaveTouch at home) spray water into the drum as they tumble and it is better than putting a damp cloth in there because the dampness is better distributed. I have no use for the steam washer setting though. Hope this helps!

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

GET THE SPEED QUEEN

Other brands: If the pump dies, unstack dryer, disconnect, pull machines out of closet, take the whole washer apart to replace.

Speed Queen: Remove the front access panel, then replace the pump.

Consider service before you buy anything. All the machines, even the best, will break at some point! Do you want a simple cheap repair or do you want to be deciding between buying a new machine or paying close to that amount for a repair?

• MizLizzie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Having researched pretty thoroughly, I will definitely be getting the Speed Queen. The space matters, but the dependability of the machine matters more. I will not get a set of conventional FLs. But as I posted elsewhere here, my contractor is backed up. If he cannot get here before year's end, I will have to order it and stow it as it will not be available (I am told) after 2014.

My mother has the largest of the laundry centers -- hers is a Whirlpool, I think -- and it is an very fine machine. Built before all the front loader crap hit the market. Hers is the 27" but they do come 24". You are probably aware, but I mention it. If I could not swing the Speed Queen, I'd just ratchet down to one of those. They seem to still have dashers, which is a plus.